Leather Gear, why is it all Black?

blue900

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows?
I'm working on getting better protected from the elements for my summer commute.
I am seriously considering getting Brown color Leather instead of the stock black like everyone else.
It does match my bikes, But I'm really not all that fond of that black either.
opinions anyone?:bike:

I'd love to have a brown bomber jacket with armor pads made into it. But you almost can't even find a thick brown jacket. I've worn bomber jackets as my regular coat for 30 years. Love the big pockets in front :)

Just wondering if anyone knows?
I'm working on getting better protected from the elements for my summer commute.
I am seriously considering getting Brown color Leather instead of the stock black like everyone else.
It does match my bikes, But I'm really not all that fond of that black either.
opinions anyone?:bike:

I say ..............good for you to dare to be different:thumbsup: People tend to be like sheep, always hearding along together, always buying the same colour leather jackets.

I have a brown leather jacket for use on the bike during warmer weather. It doesn't even have a lining in it. I sometimes wear a heavy 100% wool sweater under it. Its not a "motorcycle" jacket. I bought it in a regular clothing store.

I've seen riders wear a black jacket, black pants, black chaps, black boots, black gloves, black helmet.............................and I think, how original:doh:

Don't forget to carry rain gear, as leather will not keep you dry.

^Actual protective gear is only available in black, and Power Ranger. I've seen brown in catalogs but not much. Not much at all....

tiger angel in Aus custom make their gear at a good price, must be places like that in the good old USA

Posted via Mobile

this page has a couple of really nice brown jackets:
http://www.legendaryusa.com/Leather-Motorcycle-Jacket-s/17.htm
or, if you have big $$ to spend you could get Bates to make you a flat-track style jacket in just about any color.
http//www.batesleathers.com/streetwear/colors.php
The other thought I have though is, don't sport bike jackets actually come in all kinds of colors? Like Alpinestars, and other brands that sell mostly to the sportbike crowd?

fwiw, I like the look of the brown leather A LOT, although it kind of has more of an aviator look to it.
This one is so great looking:
http://www.legendaryusa.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=585

Last edited:
Growl has the right answer to the question. Black doesn't show the oil, grease stains as much as other colors.
Leo

Black is the only color that will mask differences in the hide?
Some cow skins tends to light others dark. Some cows can sunburn whoda thunk it.
Black absorbs heat from the sun. Assuming you would wear a coat to stay warm.

I don't get out in the world as much as most, but the last few years I've noticed pant and coats in tan, brown and natural colors. Black is sooooooo yesterday.
Which is a shame. My little bride after years of wearing brown low heel pull ons got her first pair of black boots.

supply and demand. Also, the color myth about black clothing being hotter is false. It's true that black does absorb heat, but, due to thermodynamics/insulation, black clothing does not make one hotter compared to any other clothing.

you know i have to say though, i've worn black pants before in extreme direct hot sun while sitting (not on bike) and had to actually MOVE because they were burning my legs. Some brand new tight black cords I recall, most recently. However I'm sure once underway, that wouldn't be the case. May have been some other aspect of the pants, but I've had to move more than once due to, while sitting, hot black pants with sun beating directly on thighs. Helps if it is faded black.

I see you are in AZ, so you know heat. Here in FL I have seen those in dark black suffer. Like Johnny Cash would suffer more in direct sun than say ol Samuel Clemmons or Stephen Foster or Colonel Sanders in their light colored suits.

Back