Left cylinder runs weaker than right

Yes, consider it. I just mentioned in another thread that a good compression test doesn't necessarily mean the engine is OK. You can get a false good reading if the cylinder is passing lots of oil.

Was checking the valve clearances again and noticed something strange, one of the screws has a big chunk missing from it. I wonder if there's a little piece of metal in there fucking me over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 196
Well for sure that screw has to go! will it thread out? The end looks mushroomed.

I don't feel any of them are very good. It's not so much the screw but the poor design. The screw tip and valve stem top will eventually wear, pit, or dimple with this design. In an extreme case like yours, the screw tip breaks off. Don't worry, that doesn't seem to be too common.

The picture of MikesXS adjusters is disturbing, the tip looks funny.
Never ordered any from them, so not sure. Maybe you could post a close-up pic when you get yours.

Members have recommended Virago adjusters.
And there's the links in those threads...

As far as I know, the only difference with the Virago adjuster is the top. It uses an Allen wrench for adjusting which is probably easier than that little 4mm square top of the 650 screw. I don't think the tips are any different.

So I just noticed the right exhaust pipe is a little fucky. The connection of headpipe to the muffler is loose I guess and when I move the muffler it and the headpipe seem to move independently of ech other slightly. Could this be a source of my trouble?

Sure could, exhaust leaks at the head create problems. Most trouble shooting is eliminating, correcting potential problem areas til it runs the way it should.

No way to tell what's going on from here. There are sleeves, gasket material, clamps, that can snug up a slip joint. Misalignment, trying to make the muffler angle away from where the headpipe points is a frequent problem. But I kinda shot from the hip, a leak up at the head is more critical than one down by the muffler.

No way to tell what's going on from here. There are sleeves, gasket material, clamps, that can snug up a slip joint. Misalignment, trying to make the muffler angle away from where the headpipe points is a frequent problem. But I kinda shot from the hip, a leak up at the head is more critical than one down by the muffler.

Ok thanks a lot. New valve adjusters came in today I'll throw them on tonight and post with the results.

In regards to mikexs soft tipped adjusters, could one case harden them, might be ok? Torch to red hot then emmediatly throw in a small puddle of used motor oil?

Back