Thanks for the comments everyone.
@Brassneck, the tank is a Rocket tank made by Voodoo Vintage and yes, those are two adjustable air bags under the seat.

@TooManyXS1B's. Were you looking in the Cedar Park area? If yes, then it might be area.

BA

Unbelievable. Yes, somewhere around McNeal and Research.

Nice homes & neighborhood, tiny garages. Found a 3-car garage in Pf-ville.

But, that was 15 years ago...

Hahah... that's funny. The "2 car" garage is pretty small. With a little organization, I am able to have a washer/dryer, work bench, up-right rolling tool box, motorcycle lift, 2 lawn mowers, 5 bicycles, 3 motorcycles, 1 scooter and still have room for one of our vehicles.

Hahah... that's funny. The "2 car" garage is pretty small. With a little organization, I am able to have a washer/dryer, work bench, up-right rolling tool box, motorcycle lift, 2 lawn mowers, 5 bicycles, 3 motorcycles, 1 scooter and still have room for one of our vehicles.

Amazing. You must have a degree in "Packaging Density", or ........ "Tardis" technology...

Hi All,

After a three year on and off again project, I have an almost completed 1979 Café style XS650! I thought I had a good bike when I started, but lots of corrosion and damaged parts that weren’t obvious. The good thing was that it was low mileage.

I did all the work except for the rephrased crank, cam mod, machined rotor adaptor and final paint. The worse most tedious work was the polishing and wheel building. Did I say that I had a lot of corrosion ;-)
This is my list of big changes and work I did.

Motor:

- 277 re-phased engine
- Port matched, i.e., gasket to head, removed obstructions and polished head flow paths
- Elephant foot valve adjusters
- Re-indexed cam to account for “gasket” change
- Cleanup hone on cylinders
- New rings fitted and gapped
- Assembled without the lower barrels to crank casing to increase the compression a bit
- Knocked ridges off of clutch metal plates
- Used slightly heavier clutch springs
- Did “TooManys’” clutch actuator change with one piece clutch actuator rod
- Cleanup and polishing done by hand and buffers
- Hughs’ PMA
- Pamcote Pete’s Pamco ignition
- Completely rebuild cards with new diaphragm boots

Steering:

- All balls head bearings
- Tarozzi fork brace that I polished
- XSperformance damper valves and damper rod hole mods
- New seals all around
- Clubman handlebars drilled to run wiring inside the bars

Frame etc:

- Powder coated frame after tab and tail section cleanup and removal
- Removed center stand
- Stiffened swingarm with brace ‘ladder” kit
- Added zerk fittings to kickstand and center of swingarm pivot
- New bronze bushings to swingarm
- XS750 gas tank with deeper knee pockets
- Manual petcocks are replacing the modified originals that leaked
- Modified taillight bracket to change angle of light
- Cleaned, polished , rewired and trued the wheels with stainless spokes
- Norton Specialties mufflers with my own hanger and 25° elbows
- Mike’s high performance rotor, Brembo caliper and special spacer (Thanks Joseph!)
- Hammerhead shocks

Wiring:

- Discarded original starter, all wiring and went with kick only
- Capacitor and small .8ah battery
- Rewired with small six position fuse block in plastic 4” junction box under aluminum electric mount plate under seat.
- Used marine grade wiring
- Installed relays for kill switch, horn, high beam and low beam into the headlight bucket
- Installed Acewell speedo/tach etc.
- Led turn and running light signals. The rears work with the stop light

Discards:

- Centerstand
- Seat
- Rear and front fenders
- Original gauges
- Original controls
- Starter
- Headlight and brackets
- Original HEAVY disk brake system
- Original shocks
- Air boxes and filters
- Rear pillion footpegs
- Wiring
- Turn signals

The bike rides, handles well and is comfortable with the only oil leak at the drain plug Mike’s gasket ring. I’m real happy about that since I was dreading case or barrel to crankcase leaks. Sounds fantastic!

Pictures:

Start to Finish:

Changed the handlebars from what I last posted and put all the updated pictures in my albums.

Attachments

• DSCN1464.jpg
    DSCN1464.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCN3952.JPG
    DSCN3952.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Thanks!

Yes, its from a Yamaha Virago. Its not a complete bolt-on. You need to pivot the fender toward the front and drill and trim for new front holes. The brace needed a little grinding and clearance fitting to to stay off of the fender.

Yes, I sure did. I ran a chamfer on an arc with a file.

Attachments

• Brembo Chamfer.jpg
    Brembo Chamfer.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN3206 w comment.jpg
    DSCN3206 w comment.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Nice work! Really clean & brilliantly shiny! Curious about the clubman's being inverted...more of a comfort thing I suppose?

Thanks! and yes on the bars. I was too leaned over and didn't think I would be comfortable in a more leaned forward position. I saw another post on a Triumph site and went with them this way. they are very comfortable.

bike%20002_zpsmphbhuyh.jpg

Latest incarnation of my xs, rebuilt the engine, now has 750cc JE pistons, unknown cam hard welded high lift/ long duration, 36mm Dellorto's on tapered manifolds, ported head and an 8 plate clutch, there's no lights, running electrex world ignition which is on the crank with no lighting circuit, topped off with a Tracy body, not sure what the fairing is off but it is quite effective, tucked down a bit and had no wind in my face at all.

bike%20002_zpsmphbhuyh.jpg

Latest incarnation of my xs, rebuilt the engine, now has 750cc JE pistons, unknown cam hard welded high lift/ long duration, 36mm Dellorto's on tapered manifolds, ported head and an 8 plate clutch, there's no lights, running electrex world ignition which is on the crank with no lighting circuit, topped off with a Tracy body, not sure what the fairing is off but it is quite effective, tucked down a bit and had no wind in my face at all.

very nice Jay:thumbsup: you finally got the Tracy body bike sorted, Love the clipon bar setup but the screen obscures how they are fitted :shrug:

Here's mine. 81 Heritage. Stipped to the frame and cases. New pistons and bore, Mikuni carbs. Pulled the loom and now kick only. Coustom Tank ( Honda Rebel style). Powdercoated rims and frame. Hope you like her.

Really dig it. Great stance. Looks perfect. What rear shocks are you using?

How are your ears holding up? I had those shorty BES megas on mine for a while but they brought me too much attention, if you know what I mean!!! I swapped them for longer Dunstall reverse cone megas so happy ears and happy[ish] plod.

Thanks! and yes on the bars. I was too leaned over and didn't think I would be comfortable in a more leaned forward position. I saw another post on a Triumph site and went with them this way. they are very comfortable.

Hi Glenn,
Your bike looks ace .......... except for the bars in their current orientation (no disrespect intended). I originally had 4 inch drop ace bars on mine and found the same and I have [mid] rear-sets fitted! I swapped those bars for 2 inch drop versions and find those, together with the rear-sets, fine. As you have standard pegs have you thought about M-bars or repro early '60s Triumph Bonneville Thruxton production racer bars? They're half-way between ace/clubman bars and low rise bars and, if they're still too low, you can turn these upside down too and they'll still look good. Great work regardless!

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments Nomad. Love Nomads BTW!

I think you're correct about going with a more curvy bar instead of the Clubmans but I'm not having too much luck finding the early Thruxton bars, only the latest renditions.

I do like the M-bars and have found flat and Norman Hydes which have a slight rise which I believe I want for comfort. Can you help with some links and I can see if I can get a 7/8" set in the US?

Flat M-bars at a good price, "Hotwing M Style Cafe Bars Chrome Finish"

http://www.hotwingglass.com/handlebars/handlebars.shtml

Norman Hydes:

http://www.newbonneville.com/html/hyde_handlebars.html

Appreciate your help.

very nice Jay:thumbsup: you finally got the Tracy body bike sorted, Love the clipon bar setup but the screen obscures how they are fitted :shrug:

There's nothing to hide, they are just clamped to the fork legs, did have to get a couple if sets to get them right though, as they all seem to be attached in a different place on the bars.

Back