Logo delete

pyroman

Pyroman
Reaction score
79 Street Tracker. I would like to fill in, or remove the YAMAHA logo on the right side case. I plan to PC the case black. Has anyone done this? Suggestions? I am removing all logos, just to make ask People ask the question. Thanks!:wink2:

I removed them on one side case with a 40 grit rolox disc/mandrel/ in a drill press for a rough cut. (poor man's mill) I finished it up using a da sander... there is enough material there. It had a few very small pits. There is a thread here somewhere on it. I looked but didn't find the right one. I wouldn't trust a filler if ya are pc'ing it. If ya did use a filler it would have to have a bunch of metal in it for the powdercoat to stick I would think.
My side case painted just fine. That was about 10 yrs ago. I recently covered the letters up with a simple strip of aluminum from an aluminum ruler jb welded to the cover.
I will post a pic shortly.

Attachments

• XS Yamaha removed 001.jpg
    XS Yamaha removed 001.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Thanks, I want the powdecoat to stick for sure. Bill, I remembered someone telling Me that, could not remember who. I dont want to cover it up, must be smooth as a Baby's bottom! Bill, PECKERHEAD MOTORCYCLE RACING meeting Friday, 6:30.:yikes::thumbsup:

Thanks, Guys, I will go with JB Weld. I use it a lot, and with proper prep, it is very good product. I just wondered what other s had used. I am not ashamed of the Yamaha name, just doesnt go with the look I am shooting for.

that lab metal stuff sounds good. i just had my frame powder coated and had a lengthy discusion with the general manager of the place about how to go about prepping my tank and side covers for powder coat
He basically said most things will work just make sure they can withstand around 500 degrees of heat - they have to get the metal temp up to around 400 degrees so that means higher oven temps.

US Chem sells a product called All Metal. It has a very hi content of aluminum. I used it filling my tank emblem area and it is holding up great. Very hard stuff when cured. I am told it will hold powdercoat but havn't tried it yet.

Lots of powder coaters use JB Weld, The regular stuff, not the quick setting stuff, won't take the heat of powder coating. And you can get it anywhere. I try to keep some around.

I too have seen the pictorial nobody can find about grinding off the logo.... The metal is thick enough that you can grind it off and end up a factory-looking contour on the cover.

Hi Guys, I did the pictorial on the side case letter removal a long time ago so it might be on the old site? (rider) I know others have posted pictures too so may or may not be mine you're thinking of? I'll see if I can find it. P.S. You will hate your life by the time you are done sanding and polishing! :banghead:

I took a belt sander to one and ground off the logo. On mine you can still see a shadow from where the name was. I think it is pot luck wether you will see that depending on the job they did casting the part. The more you try to shine it up the more it shows.

Had mine filled in with aluminium once,when ground back & polished it was invisible. The welder needs to use the correct/matching rods though or youll end up with an area of ally of a dfferent shade!

Back