Lots of play in gear shaft ..

numnum

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was riding home tonight from work . Downshifted for some lights and noticed a little more movement than normal in the gear lever...well actually it was terminal slop . So I thought " I know what that will be,, that will be the roll pin thats holds my gear lever on its splinless shaft throwing a 7 " . So I pulled over got the spare out my bag and smacked it in with the Gerber multitool . So I am thinking its maybe time it was changed ,its a bit boring ..but apart from the obvious shaft,seals,new pedal.. what else has possibly mined the minerals in that department ?.

If the splines are worn out, replacing the shift shaft and shifter pedal is about the only cure.
While your in there, right side cover, you will have the clutch apart, check for wear and tear there. Check the starter gears, tighten the wishbone spring.
Of course the shift shaft will need adjustment, Just read a thread on that.
Leo

On some old shitters I've just welded the bastard on. Only takes a minute to grind the weld off if you need to get back inside. I've also used a coke can shim to get around till i had a chance to fix it! Of course the only proper way to fix it is replace the shaft. cheers

Posted via Mobile

I am going to change it . I have had the roll pin tempoary repair in there for a while now . I should have fixed it when I changed the clutch . . But I didn't . Cheers for the advice on other bits to check . I assume this means the rest of the shift mechanism is usually okay . She shifts nice and smooth its just I have no splines left . . weekly oil changes seem to keep them super slick .

Back