Lowering question

twindallas

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I think my bike would look better a bit lower. Thinking about a 2.75" lowering kit for the front forks and switching to Honda Rebel rear shocks that are 10.5". Has anyone done a similar front and rear switch like this? Too low?

Attachments

• BIKE PICS 001.jpg
    BIKE PICS 001.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 237
Ydyawanna do that? It woe gew rowend cornas!

The rear tyre will scuff the inside of the mudguard and the fork sliders will bottom out on the lower triple clamp...

Nah, go on, do it and tell us what happens

Ydyawanna do that? It woe gew rowend cornas!

The rear tyre will scuff the inside of the mudguard and the fork sliders will bottom out on the lower triple clamp...

Nah, go on, do it and tell us what happens

Hi jbinn
well, it seems he's already got the fender rub problem aced; he took the fenders off already.

You will run out of cornering ground clearance at only modest corner speeds. A drag bike look might work, but only in straight lines. You can take Art for Art sake too far and loose functionality.

Stick with the factory geometry and graft in some better components like usd forks and some gas reservoir rear suspension units

I might run a narrow street tracker style rear fender eventually, but I don't think I'll run a front fender. I'm a fair weather rider...

Have a look at the underside of the fender and the bracing you have just taken off. The fenders act as a fork brace, as all fenders, but the 77D Standard and on, Standard and Specials, have extra bracing, i guess that is why the handling of the XS650 was considered as coming of age when they were introduced in 1977

My wife wanted a lower seat height on an 82 Heritage special, I installed "rebel shocks" and dropped the forks tubes 1" . I rode it to town for gas, the first time I went left from a stop sign convinced me how dumb riding a lowered XS is. Luckily I just left a trail of sparks and didn't dump it. IMHO there is no point to a motorcycle that can't go around a street corner at a decent speed. C'mon man, how can you get out in traffic if the bike can't corner at least a bit? No bike looks cool sitting unused in back of the garage or wadded up under a parked car....

+1, gggGary! And what's this about a street tracker looking better lowered--Opie, have you ever SEEN a flat tracker?

While you're stylin', think about this. If it goes faster than it looks, it's a motorcycle, and somebody knows how to build. If it looks faster than it goes, it's a pig with lipstick, and somebody knows how to paint.

Good advice! All the sudden the stock stance is lookin better and better! I rode it on Friday for the first time, and I do like the way it rides and corners. Although my front fender is rusted through, I may consider a replacement. I guess that's why I asked...

Trash can the fender and buy a fork brace. Real trackers are generally higher than street bikes and don't have front fenders.

have put rebel shocks on rear for practical reasons but had to take chain guard off as guard is pushed against chain,cutting a bit out of guard could be a option.running pipes(HUGHS) under motor so cornering is no problem

I lowered mine with 11 1/2's in rear...just 1 inch up triple trees for now plan on doing a 2 inch drop in front eventually. ..no front fender but have a brace...I have no problems. .love the stance. rides fine to me.20150224_175058.jpg

Are you talking about the stock front brace? Mine has one, but someone suggested adding a brace. What's the stock rear shock length on the 78 650S? I just think the lower stance looks great, but I don't want it too low that I can't enjoy riding it?

Yeah I know what you mean...I got brace from a friend. .nothing fancy...stock length on rear. ..not sure..I think 12 1/2...I have rebel shocks but even after I removed chain guard looked like chain would hit bottom of shock..I guess I could grind some of it away ...but decided to get the 11 1/2's..plenty clearance never bottomed out. Doesn't rain much in vegas so not worried about front fender til I get pulled over..but getting the brace did tighten it up...made me feel better. lol20141114_163333.jpg

Last edited:
OK, but are you talking about the stock front fork brace, or something aftermarket? I rode last week with the front fender removed, and the factory brace seemed to give it enough stiffness. I agree that 10.5 may be too low in the back, but I'm looking at some FXR 11.5's that should work. I like your stance, but I want it a bit lower in the front too. Looks like the procedure to lower the front forks is a little much.

Not to much...I'm gonna get hughs 2 inch drop for front...fork brace I don't think is stock .got it from my buddy and it fit.

Back