Luthor's Build

I need to find out more about those wheels. Seriously. That will compliment the frame and engine to a whole new level. I agree with Airwolfie 3dognate. I wouldn't break the engine down. I had no choice since, well, just look at how that engine was when I got it. Jesus. Oh and as for gas tank, this is the gas tank that will be fabricated by VDV:
89fr.png

I need to find out more about those wheels. Seriously. That will compliment the frame and engine to a whole new level. I agree with Airwolfie 3dognate. I wouldn't break the engine down. I had no choice since, well, just look at how that engine was when I got it. Jesus. Oh and as for gas tank, this is the gas tank that will be fabricated by VDV:
89fr.png

I snapped this pic of a sweet xs when I was at the Ace corner at Barber this year. He used the same tank and frame that you are talking about. I thought it was quite sweet looking.
null_zps18c58a5a.jpg

Oh damn! If I'm not mistaken, VooDoo Vintage posted a pic of the bike & owner in their Facebook page not too long ago. He won some kinds of prize for it. I'm really digging the exhaust shields. However my front end will be different. I'll be going with inverted forks, different controls, no fenders.

Since being a bit short on money to purchase the ignition system... I decided to start taking the carbs apart for inspection, etc.
eylx.jpg

fnm.JPG

w38k.jpg

t1j5.jpg

The PO modified it so it's a pull choke instead of a lever, which I'm totally fine with since that's the way I wanted to go. He did change the screws to hex socket stainless steel so that was a plus. I'm still gonna get them new anyway. Already seeing things that need to be replaced. If anyone sees something out of place, etc., PLEASE feel free to comment.
zhoe.jpg

vs3p.jpg

ix39.JPG

t7yr.jpg

ja0d.jpg

0qul.JPG

16q5.jpg

Now where the fuck did this thing come out of?!?!?!
2fad.JPG

zc0.JPG

Had no choice to stop and soak these screws with PB Blaster for 24 hours because THEY DO NOT MOVE, at all, and I really don't want to strip those...
nmrq.jpg

Really like your build. Very nice work! I am also here in Va. I think those wheels you want are HD type wheels. I was looking to do something like that on a bike and found this site.
http://www.hdwheels.com/Pulley_and_Rotor.htm
I also thought about using a Buell front rotor and welding mounts to a standard rim but it could be difficult to keep it aligned. Good luck with your build.

Ummm, lesseee, you're missing one black plug that covers the idle jet, the ball bearing should be for the choke indent, the butterfly screws are staked-on, may need to dremel the staked ends to remove them...

I like what they have on that site. I just need to do some more research to find out exactly how the brake system works. I just shot you a PM. And thanks for the feedback on the build. Just working on the carbs now until I make some more $ for the ignition system and some other stuff.

Really like your build. Very nice work! I am also here in Va. I think those wheels you want are HD type wheels. I was looking to do something like that on a bike and found this site.
http://www.hdwheels.com/Pulley_and_Rotor.htm
I also thought about using a Buell front rotor and welding mounts to a standard rim but it could be difficult to keep it aligned. Good luck with your build.

I did notice the missing plug right away. I'll make sure to keep that ball bearing inside a zip lock bag. I did a bit of research after you pointed out the screws. Funny thing is, 2 came out normal, the other 2 had to be drilled out. May I say, what a fucking pain in the ass it was? :mad:

Ummm, lesseee, you're missing one black plug that covers the idle jet, the ball bearing should be for the choke indent, the butterfly screws are staked-on, may need to dremel the staked ends to remove them...

Managed to get the float boats off. May I suggest a center punch. Just a bit of pressure and it pushes them out quite easily. I read it somewhere on here. And, I had to drill out the butterfly screws. Had no choice there. Yes, it was a pain in the fucking ass, but builds are never easy, and neither is restoring parts that are more 30 years old. Anyway, here's a pic of all the carbs carefully laid out:
27vn.JPG

And I had some Metal Rescue laying somewhere around so I submerged the kick starter lever for 48 hours. It did wonders to it, but still not good enough for me. It'll be blasted sometime this week, and of course, powder coated black.
xo0o.jpg

Hahaha! So funny! I was watching this movie a few weeks ago. And the funny part, I'm a veteran as well. LOL Slightly less crazy than him though.

Hahaha! So funny! I was watching this movie a few weeks ago. And the funny part, I'm a veteran as well. LOL Slightly less crazy than him though.

Apart from the slightly crazy, I did think it would be appropriate!

You have mentioned before in your thread somewhere that you are a vet, so it is quite fitting I think!!:D

There is also a little spring that goes with that little ball. I didn't see it in your exploded carb pic but it is small so may be there? It may still be in the carb body. You should find it so it doesn't fall out somewhere.

On my carbs the ball and spring were missing. Drill out a grease nipple and use that ball and spring if you loose either of these.

build looks good so far!

It makes me crack up every time I see that. LOL Thanks bro, I needed a laugh.

Apart from the slightly crazy, I did think it would be appropriate!

You have mentioned before in your thread somewhere that you are a vet, so it is quite fitting I think!!:D

Interesting... I'll look more for it.

There is also a little spring that goes with that little ball. I didn't see it in your exploded carb pic but it is small so may be there? It may still be in the carb body. You should find it so it doesn't fall out somewhere.

On my carbs the ball and spring were missing. Drill out a grease nipple and use that ball and spring if you loose either of these.

build looks good so far!

So I'll be going with velocity stacks on the carbs, and straight pipes with NO baffles. Recommended jet settings? Anyone?:umm:

That will run very lean. Every bike is different. Best way is to start somewhere and try it, then see what happens if you go up or down with the needles. They cheap enough to buy a few..

Someone will chime in I know lol! Slap me off my high horse lol!

I was reading a lot last night before I passed out. Pretty much everyone says the same thing you say, so no need you to slap you of your high horse bro. I appreciate every little bit of input/feedback. I started cleaning carb parts today. I can't wait for the final product... In the meantime though, this came in the mail:

nvf.JPG

You dig?

That will run very lean. Every bike is different. Best way is to start somewhere and try it, then see what happens if you go up or down with the needles. They cheap enough to buy a few..

Someone will chime in I know lol! Slap me off my high horse lol!

Yeah man! That is saweet! Where is mine??!??! LOL

If I was you,I'd probably run her as she is now, and then go one or two up from stock on the needles and see if she runs any better. Then go from there. Bet you are itching to kick her over!!

It ain't Christmas yet! LOL Wasn't really expensive. The quality is pretty damn good to be honest, and the guy already had the "clock" for mine. I think it gives it a nice touch, especially with the SS. Jets are so cheap so I can buy a few, I'd say, 2 more up in case. I found this like to brass velocity stacks while doing some research last night. I might go with those, but the ones Dime City Cycles sells are tempting as well, and let me tell you, when I did my XV750J build they were always there for customer support/feedback/input. I dropped a good chunk of $ with them and they were even kind enough to send me a LS shirt for my bday. THAT good. I still got no $ for the ignition system. What did you go with?

Yeah man! That is saweet! Where is mine??!??! LOL

If I was you,I'd probably run her as she is now, and then go one or two up from stock on the needles and see if she runs any better. Then go from there. Bet you are itching to kick her over!!

Let's see...
This:
http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-42202.html
And this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-hp-10-gallon-125-psi-air-compressor-67708.html
And a lot of fucking OCD & patience. :D

Do you have your own blasting setup?

Back