Luthor's Build

While I have the carb bodies bathing in this:
b05p.jpg

I am doing some more research for stuff that will be purchased this weekend. Does anyone know if these can replace the OEM banjo bolts?

http://www.probolt-usa.com/stainless-steel-single-banjo-bolt-m10-x-1-00mm.html#.Uo-jyMSfhzU

I use that cleaner in an ultra-sonic cleaner that heats it also. It is the shit for cleaning old carbs. The heat and vibration make a huge difference. You can get an ultra-sonic cleaner from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

Crap. Would've given that a try, but the whole carbs are clean now. Just waiting on some misc parts to come in the mail so I can start putting them together. Do you have a recommended jet setting for straight pipes and velocity stacks?

Not much to update besides taking a bunch or parts to get powder coated. The shop will be closed from Thanksgiving until next Monday, so I won't get the parts until then. No rush anyway. In the meantime, the PO of the carbs mailed me these 2 little parts that he had laying around, the ones circled in yellow in a previous post. However, I'm wondering what would be the best way to clean them. I did enlarge the crankcase breather hole with a 21/64 drill bit and once I receive the one I purchased on eBay, I'll just remove the plate, enlarge the hole on the plate and place it. Here's a pic of the enlarged hole:
g4hf.jpg

I went to a hardware store, but I had no luck finding a suitable replacement for the plastic washer on the butterfly assembly for the carbs. Anyone?
82sr.jpg

And so you get a better idea what the plastic looks like:
5nb1.jpg

Some of the larger, better-stocked hardware stores have screw/bolt/knick-knack selection shelves, with plastic and nylon bushings, spacers, stand-offs. Got a friend with a mini-lathe?

I did actually, check 2 hardware stores but their selection wasn't so good. As you can see in one of the pics the nylon washer is at least 1mm smaller in OD/ID and none of the spacers were close enough to it either. One option would be to take it to the machine shop and see if they could fabricate one from aluminum or brass (for accent). I'm sure mostly everyone is gone out of town for Thanksgiving so it'll have to wait until next week. Fredericksburg? I was stationed in Ft. Hood back in the day. Good 'ol TX...

It's been a while since I've had a chance to update the build thread. It's the holidays, and work's been kicking my ass. I did manage to pick up some parts I had dropped off for powder coating:

Diaphragm Covers, Float Chamber Bodies, Carb Bracket
x384.jpg

After soaking the Kick Starter Assembly in Metal Rescue for 48 hours, sanding the surfaces, then bead blasting them, they were ready for the paint. I spent a lot of time looking at pedal set ups online and I didn't like any of the designs so I decided to leave the original concept. The rubber will be arriving sometime next week from MikesXS along with a bunch of other parts for the carb rebuild.
n5ks.JPG

Left Side Engine Cover. The chain guard was cut by the nice people of Serenity Ridge Machining in Sterling, VA.
t7ih.jpg

Here's a better picture of the part that was cut. The hole is where HHB's Hydraulic Clutch Kit will go through. I had considered going with the different Hydraulic Clutch set up, but for aesthetics, this one is more convenient.
nz2t.jpg

Crankcase Breather. Modified hole as you'll see in some of the pictures. I haven't modified the inner plate yet, but I'll post pics of it as soon as I do it.
5j6x.JPG

2tui.jpg

JBM Diaphragms. Worth every penny. Pay no attention to the engine stays behind the diaphragms since they are part of a bunch of parts that I'm cleaning and posting on eBay to get a few bucks back in my pocket for HHB's alternator swap and the 277 ignition.
u9mk.jpg

I hope everyone is having a good holiday season!

Thanks Airwolfie. The build has been slowed down because of work. I can't wait to get some stuff from MikesXS in the mail so I can start putting the carbs together. I did a lot of looking around for velocity stacks for the carbs and after a few back & forth emails, I went with a custom set of 1.75" velocity stacks from Steel Dragon. As for the chainguard, I almost cut the whole flap off, but I needed that tab for the hydraulic clutch conversion from Hugh's Hand Built. I saw a lot of mods that place the hydraulic clutch on the side, but I didn't like the overall look of it. I went ahead and put a bunch of parts that I've media blasted/cleaned on eBay and I posted a for sale thread here. I should take a picture of all the boxes that I have stacked of parts ready to be shipped.

Happy Holidays everyone... We've had some really nice weather here in VA these past few days...
eixe.jpg

gyqf.jpg

Either buy stuff to finish the engine... Or buy a good set of tires so I can actually move my car... Priorities are a bitch.
h8vr.JPG

Wow........that is beautiful.........but annoying at the same time.
I love snow, until I have to drive or walk in it!!

Yeah, priorities suck big time. I got some overtime money, but I need to use it for my clutch on my car!! Was hoping to get some more goodies for the bike............

I'm with ya on this weather. Hope we don't have a whole winter with snow and ice.
That motor is looking real sharp, nice detail.

I hear you man. Damn black ice got me today. :mad: $580 for 4 new 235/40 18 Nitto Motivo tires isn't a bad deal though. Still, that would've taken care of the shopping cart on MikesXS and HHB stuff. Oh well...

Wow........that is beautiful.........but annoying at the same time.
I love snow, until I have to drive or walk in it!!

Yeah, priorities suck big time. I got some overtime money, but I need to use it for my clutch on my car!! Was hoping to get some more goodies for the bike............

JAG... Think we got lucky the past 2 Winters. This one is proving to be a bitch. A fat bitch. Can't wait to put the carbs together. Thinking of going with JBM's carb boots since I already got the diaphragms from them.

I'm with ya on this weather. Hope we don't have a whole winter with snow and ice.
That motor is looking real sharp, nice detail.

That's a damn good compliment my friend. Thank you very much. It's been a slow engine rebuild these past 2-3 weeks, but it'll be picking up soon.

Lex, Seriously :thumbsup:....... a sanitary build and immaculate thread dude :yikes: thanks for taking the time to share such a quality experience. :bike:

I was fucking around for a little and looking at some parts I have laid out and I thought about presenting these to the engine. I know there's a gasket that's supposed to go there in between the engine and the part, along with an o-ring, but is this gap normal or did I fail to push the bearings all the way in...???
yp1c.jpg

mlwq.jpg

Looking at the seals as well... Are they flush enough?
g8m7.jpg

shft.jpg

Might be a stupid question; but in the first photo with the gap, are the screws tightened down? I noticed in the one photo the screws weren't in. Just wondering if this gap is there before or after tightening the screws down? :shrug:

Great progress though, Lex!

There are no screws in yet. I was just placing the part to see if the seal would go around the camshaft that's when I noticed the gap, and that the seal doesn't even go over the camshaft ends.

Might be a stupid question; but in the first photo with the gap, are the screws tightened down? I noticed in the one photo the screws weren't in. Just wondering if this gap is there before or after tightening the screws down? :shrug:

Great progress though, Lex!

The bearings probably are not properly seated. A friend of mine had this same issue. He was able to tap the bearings in with a punch and a hammer without loosening the head. When I was assembling the head of my motor I first set the cover on the head loosely then used the cups to push the bearings in and then tightened the head.

Pekka

Well that makes A LOT of sense... Thanks Pekka.:thumbsup:

The bearings probably are not properly seated. A friend of mine had this same issue. He was able to tap the bearings in with a punch and a hammer without loosening the head. When I was assembling the head of my motor I first set the cover on the head loosely then used the cups to push the bearings in and then tightened the head.

Pekka

So after dropping $600 on a new set of tires for my car so I don't kill myself driving with Summer tires in this beautiful Winter season, and another $300 to get them installed, etc., I finally had some $ to purchase the rest of the carb parts which will be arriving on Thursday (damn XMas). I also got the custom 1.75" velocity stacks by Steel Dragon. Of course, I had to bead blast them to have the same finish as the engine, etc.
djwr.jpg

hx68.jpg

c0jk.jpg

AND I also got the crankcase breather filter from MotoLanna all the way from freaking Thailand. Here it is apart after bead blasting the aluminum parts:
ui6k.jpg

And put together:
ja5t.jpg

As you can see it brings a clear hose which is a no-go for me. I'll think of something.
I was presenting some parts to get a better idea of how the contrast will be, etc...
7ghw.jpg

I have a clear Lexan glass that I got off some guy from here (can't remember his name) which I have on eBay. Might take it off eBay and go with it. Not sure. Anyway, I wanted to wish y'all a Merry XMas and I'll be putting the carbs together come Sunday!

Back