Magnetic filings on oil filter

Fleksta

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I did my spring oil change this morning and found this stuff on my filter:

vXSfSbr.jpg

The shiny bits are magnetic...but I didn't notice any on my drain plugs. There was a bit more on it than the photo shows, didn't think to take a pic until after I grabbed a magnet. No big chunks, just that fine "dust".

Last year I had the top end reassembled with new rings...could this just be from wearing them in?

It's only been one or two oil changes and less than 2k miles since that was all done. Just wondering if I should be worried.

Do your normal oil changes and filter cleans, keep an eye on it, listen for sounds.

Without knowing the past history, and cleaning attempts, it's possible that stuff is just old sediment, dislodged by recent servicing.

Those bits are too big to be from rings wearing in. There's many more iron parts in the primary and transmission that could produce those...

it would be worthwhile checking the oil pump and tacho drive. if that lot has gone through the pump it could be badly scored .
Most of the likely sources should be visible with the cover off and you'd want to remove any sludge along with the oil and filter changes

A large part of that shrapnel we are looking at comes directly from the electric starter gear train. Some day when you have the time open it up. The wear on the small gears that mesh with the crank, AND the crank itself will have plenty of bites taken out of it. As an experiment, when you change the oil, clean the drain plugs and all those little gears carb cleaner or other spray on solvent. Button it back up, then DO NOT USE THE ELECTRIC STARTER for ~1,000mi. Change the oil again and you should find almost no debris on the filters or the magnetic drain plugs. YMMV but I have done this many, many times always with the same result.
cheers

Back