Hang those new cables and oil them before install. Many come almost dry inside. I have a little section of aluminum angle with various size slots cut in it to hang the cables from for oiling .....

okwk46c.jpg

oUuyuCJ.jpg

Nice to see your steering head bearing C spanner will work other places too.

Thanks guys! Man I’m certainly trying to get er done! I need to get this done and get a few rides in.
No hurries no worries. Take your time enjoy it. I made a lot of trips in my lifetime. I now wish I would have taken the time to enjoy the journeys.
Besides when you get it done we won't get to see as much of her. Whens the last time you posted a pic of the other one.

One year ago today......
2FBB5739-9523-4134-8F70-AABA52AF0115.jpeg

A lot can happen in one year. I started this resto March 1 2018.

That was the day I brought it home, and here was my original post, leading up to the purchase.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs2-special-concerns-known-problems.51508/

Had I known how much work it was eventually going to take, would I have bought it? Honestly I don’t know.
The guy started it up when I went to go see it, I thought a little elbow grease would have me on the road.
I really thought I was looking at about 3 or 4 months work. If you remember, I wanted to do a sympathetic restoration. I have never built anything more complicated than a lawnmower motor. I have never tackled complex electrical issues, I have never tried to open up and restore instruments, I have certainly never done a complete restoration.
Without a doubt, without the guidance and support of the members of this forum, I would never have come this far.

The power of collaboration and teamwork are truly inspiring.

2018 was my first full year of retirement, this bike and this forum has been a real treat for me. I can’t think of a more entertaining and rewarding way to kick off my retirement.

Those of you who have hung in there for the last year, thanks for your support and encouragement. The finish line is in sight now. It’s been a wild and challenging year!

I sincerely hope 2019 is a happy and healthy year for us all.
Cheers!
Bob

Had I known how much work it was eventually going to take, would I have bought it? Honestly I don’t know.
If you hadn't... imagine the skills you would have never learned. The engine, the seat.... now we can call ya "Sparky" ;). It's the journey Bob... and the learning of skills....
You honestly don't know? I do. :D

If you hadn't... imagine the skills you would have never learned. The engine, the seat.... now we can call ya "Sparky" ;). It's the journey Bob... and the learning of skills....
You honestly don't know? I do. :D

Oh believe me I’m happy now that I took the plunge. Im just saying that had I known before hand what it was going to take, I might have thought it was more than I was up to.

Oh believe me I’m happy now that I took the plunge. Im just saying that had I known before hand what it was going to take, I might have thought it was more than I was up to.

Agreed. It's the journey not the destination. I actually really like working on my bike. It feels good to get some MOJO going, listen to music, wrench away. It's almost like doing yoga or meditation!
Now that my 650 is basically done I don't really care about it that much. I think I had more fun wrenching and learning VS riding it around now.

Today I finished up the exhaust, by installing the mufflers and passenger foot rests. This exhaust looks good, if you’re not really looking up close. Everything is original, the chrome is in really good shape, but IT IS 47 years old!!!
And it’s been banging around in someone’s garage for all those years!

This bike was not lovingly stored. It was pushed into the corner of a garage and forgotten for decades. The mufflers bear the scars of lawn mowers , or bicycles, or God knows what, being shoved in next to it.
I don’t know if I ever shared this bit of history or not, but the original registration was still under the seat when I got the bike. It was purchased new in 1972, by ( I believe ) a man who was already an older fellow. I had his name and address from the registration, it was here in Phoenix. So I started searching for him, I thought it might be cool if I could find him. Well I found his obituary from the early 1980’s. That would explain why the bike only had 5,000 miles on it, probably the old guys last hurrah. The family must’ve just shoved it in a garage. They even moved to another small town in rural Arizona and took the bike with them. Where they again shoved it in a dusty old garage and forgot about it. At some point his widow or son or whoever kept it in the family, passed away and it wound up in an estate sale auction where the guy I bought it from picked it up.

Anyhoo......back to the mufflers.
View attachment 135945 View attachment 135946 View attachment 135947 View attachment 135948

A new rubber baby buggy bumper, for the kickstand.
View attachment 135950 View attachment 135951 View attachment 135953

Ahhh.....THATS THE LOOK I WANTED!!!
View attachment 135954 View attachment 135955 View attachment 135956

I absolutely love the early “ baseball bat “ mufflers.

Did I mention, this exhaust is surprisingly heavy?

Ok next up, cables, cables, cables and then....some more cables.
From left to right, decompression, speedo, tach, clutch, throttle and another throttle.

View attachment 135957

I see lots of adjusting and fiddling and maybe some cussing in my future. o_O
Stay tuned.
BOB OUT !!

Earth to planet B-O-B,

You are making a magnificent machine........may the force be with you!!!
images.jpg

Looking good. I l;ike the story about the original registration. Would have been fun if he was still alive.

Just noticed how many posts you have. How many are attributed to this build. :)

Back