That right case is looking great Bob. It'll polish up real nice now.
Great work as always!

Looking forward to hearing some vroom, vroom.

Got a couple more jobs done today, only about 500 more jobs to do before I’m done!
I began by checking my new starter gears spring for slip resistance. This new gear has a MUCH beefier spring than my 1972 original. The original gear spring slipped at only two pounds of pull. The new gear initially required sixteen pounds of pull, which would’ve been great , but it soon wore in and became more like eight pounds of pull required. So I gave it a little squeeze in the vise and rechecked, now it’s good for twelve pounds of resistance. I’m ok with that.
9E435EB2-1A8D-42ED-A9B2-ECBFCC9A0436.jpeg

So, I had my engine flipped up on its side, it was super easy to work on the gears in this position. Just a note, I oil everything when assembling, every gear that runs together, any surface that it spins on, every friction point gets oiled as I go. Starter gear and return spring are in.
62CC9FE3-3421-4226-B897-33B2CA3638F4.jpeg

Gear #3 and #2 are back in with all the various washers and circlip. Everything buttoned up and slides and works as it should.
8A84A493-7C32-467E-BD2B-28509A3BF819.jpeg

I then turned my attention to the clutch pack I bought from Daniel Black, the later model assembly, believed to come off a 1975 model. The steel plates needed to be cleaned up, as the friction discs had rusted to the plates.
B2BCC1A1-E628-430A-AC16-582BD7281950.jpeg

So I set up my bench grinder with a brass wire wheel and went after them.
E658DFD8-D8E7-4386-8FF7-5FA5693A1EC9.jpeg

When they were clean I checked them for warpage on my piece of heavy glass.
3DF58649-8C66-4735-837E-2D8FA8A676E1.jpeg

Once I was sure they were all within spec, I gave them a final surfacing with some wet sandpaper to smooth them up. I also cleaned up the surfaces on the hub and pressure plate.
229164B9-0495-4599-B43C-DE3C9F30D306.jpeg

At this point I was looking at the original friction plates, which I had intended to use. As I was looking at them I could smell a distinctive burnt smell. I measured their thickness with a caliper and they were worn just a little past acceptable, so I ordered new EBC friction plates this afternoon. Lots of stuff to busy myself with while I’m waiting.
Anyhoo......it’s always nice to have the starter gear done!

Mailman you pictures of the 1972's cluch disk made me decide to post some OT pictures of what I pulled out of my 1992 Sporty, note this bike was being ridden as recent as 9:30 this morning, but knew the clutch was a bit dodgy!
clutch04.jpg

Don't think that one is in spec!

clutch06.jpg

And for the steel plates, I don't think even Mailman can smooth out those bumps and grooves!

I did not even take a picture of the pressure plate or the clutch surface of the clutch hub, both I would estimate as having 0.010 grooves worn in them! Only good thing is new factory parts are available from "The Motor Company", I'm going with a Barnett "extra plate" clutch and Harley for the pressure plate and hub. If it was an XS650 clutch I could just walk out in the barn and find a good usable stack of parts!

Mailman you pictures of the 1972's cluch disk made me decide to post some OT pictures of what I pulled out of my 1992 Sporty, note this bike was being ridden as recent as 9:30 this morning, but knew the clutch was a bit dodgy!View attachment 123075
Don't think that one is in spec!

View attachment 123076
And for the steel plates, I don't think even Mailman can smooth out those bumps and grooves!

I did not even take a picture of the pressure plate or the clutch surface of the clutch hub, both I would estimate as having 0.010 grooves worn in them! Only good thing is new factory parts are available from "The Motor Company", I'm going with a Barnett "extra plate" clutch and Harley for the pressure plate and hub. If it was an XS650 clutch I could just walk out in the barn and find a good usable stack of parts!

Haha! Well Ken, nobody can accuse you of not getting your moneys worth out of a clutch! :laugh2:

Haha! Well Ken, nobody can accuse you of not getting your moneys worth out of a clutch! :laugh2:
Well this Sporty has 40,000+ miles on it and the last 24,000 pulling a sidecar no idea of what the original owner put it through for 16,000 miles so maybe it's not that surprising it is worn out. If the new clutch lasts 40,000 I'll be happy or not around to care!:bike:

Got a couple more jobs done today, only about 500 more jobs to do before I’m done!
I began by checking my new starter gears spring for slip resistance. This new gear has a MUCH beefier spring than my 1972 original. The original gear spring slipped at only two pounds of pull. The new gear initially required sixteen pounds of pull, which would’ve been great , but it soon wore in and became more like eight pounds of pull required. So I gave it a little squeeze in the vise and rechecked, now it’s good for twelve pounds of resistance. I’m ok with that.
View attachment 123068

So, I had my engine flipped up on its side, it was super easy to work on the gears in this position. Just a note, I oil everything when assembling, every gear that runs together, any surface that it spins on, every friction point gets oiled as I go. Starter gear and return spring are in.
View attachment 123070
Gear #3 and #2 are back in with all the various washers and circlip. Everything buttoned up and slides and works as it should.
View attachment 123069

I then turned my attention to the clutch pack I bought from Daniel Black, the later model assembly, believed to come off a 1975 model. The steel plates needed to be cleaned up, as the friction discs had rusted to the plates.
View attachment 123071

So I set up my bench grinder with a brass wire wheel and went after them.
View attachment 123072

When they were clean I checked them for warpage on my piece of heavy glass.
View attachment 123073

Once I was sure they were all within spec, I gave them a final surfacing with some wet sandpaper to smooth them up. I also cleaned up the surfaces on the hub and pressure plate.
View attachment 123074

At this point I was looking at the original friction plates, which I had intended to use. As I was looking at them I could smell a distinctive burnt smell. I measured their thickness with a caliper and they were worn just a little past acceptable, so I ordered new EBC friction plates this afternoon. Lots of stuff to busy myself with while I’m waiting.
Anyhoo......it’s always nice to have the starter gear done!

G'day Bob,

I lubricate everything just like you however, I use Morey's or STP sticky as shit on a shovel, LOL.

GW

Well I am perplexed! I was going through my remaining seals. I know all I have left to replace is the starter and the cam seals.
Here are the seals I have left.
61E76AB8-93D2-4792-9570-490A2F6584CB.jpeg

The two on the left are for the starter. The one on the right is the right diameter for the cam seal but it is very wide. Like double the width it’s supposed to be. There’s no way that’s going to fit in its housing. AND I only have one, there should be two! Here it is next to my original seal.
1B321A2A-8772-48D8-9096-03DFD17CB1C3.jpeg
AA854ED0-E26B-41C7-A945-6AB5F70E9A6B.jpeg

I ordered the complete engine seal kit from the Kenosha Kid in ebay. I got the ARS seals.
I don’t know what the problem is.
9E0A76D5-CD52-4F40-9C88-62F844F9DEE1.jpeg

So now it’s looking like I’m going to have to order new cam seals. Any recommendations?

Yep, you have 2 there, just stuck together. Look at the size numbers on them in your pic, they match (25 - 40 - 6). That's a seal with a 25mm I.D., 40mm O.D., and 6mm thick.

Bob, those seals look to be rotation specific. There's a rotation arrow and the lips look to have a labyrinth type spiral to them. Both have an 'R' after the size which looks to match up to the labyrinth spiral direction. You need an 'L' and an 'R'.......

Bob, those seals look to be rotation specific. There's a rotation arrow and the lips look to have a labyrinth type spiral to them. Both have an 'R' after the size which looks to match up to the labyrinth spiral direction. You need an 'L' and an 'R'.......

Oh crap! So I’m back to ordering new seals again! Well thanks for catching that.

On to the rest of my day. I started out by cleaning up my new later model clutch worm assembly and packing it with red grease. I also did a little mixing and matching parts to get one nice unit. I then installed it into my left side cover.
9410EA81-C45A-4B38-BBC8-19CB5A3AE0E2.jpeg
C3E1E13E-91D7-48EB-AE26-F02F04474101.jpeg

After that I spent time on my rocker cover, cleaning out oil passageways and scraping gasket surfaces. It is now ready to install the rockers back in to.

Then I took my starter apart, by first drilling out the stripped screws and then pulling it apart. I probably could’ve skipped this, I know the starter works, but I am intent on replacing all the seals, I also wanted to get a look at the brushes. I will also run through all the multi meter tests just for the practice. And I intend to replace the large o rings at each end of the motor.
6822B993-286D-4A63-B093-7621DCC0ABB7.jpeg
59795221-D2B1-42BB-B7B2-1417C73C2213.jpeg
372488EA-AD43-44AB-A463-8BDA87AB73E3.jpeg
73ACFF20-DBE1-4050-B890-6BCCFC17CB81.jpeg

Oh yeah, so back to my earlier question. Know a good source for the cam seals? I seemed to recall hearing the the ones that Mikes sells are too wide? Or don’t fit or don’t seal right, something like that?

Back