Mailmans XS2 , the rebuild.......again

Says they guy restoing a XS750.

You got me! But yes, honestly Japanese engineering leaves me scratching my head. Still can't understand their reasoning 90% of the time. Just as an added kicker i am also restoring a 1956 Packard Executive 2 door. Ever want to see some wild engineering way beyond its time, first lockup torque converter, also has automatic load leveling! Who ever designed that system was decades ahead of his time.

Yeah, I’ll do my best to try and explain this wonky front disc arrangement.
The front disc is bolted to the right fork leg with this hollow shaft,
View attachment 188087
View attachment 188088
The hollow shaft is held in place with this large nut,
View attachment 188089

That large nut only goes on finger tight, if you crank it down it binds up the disc. Then you slide the axle through the wheel and that hollow shaft of the brake disc , and when you tighten up the crown nut it traps the large nut in place, it doesn’t touch it. It tightens up to the shoulder of the hollow shaft and pulls the whole front end together tight. Weird huh?
View attachment 188090
Are there some rubber buffers between the disc mounting and the hub?

Last edited:
It’s all good in the hood,

Went out this morning and re installed the rotor, it’s on right, I have no doubt, clearances are all good.

Then I pulled the front caliper off and squeezed the pads back in and re mounted it. Everything is tightened up now, with no unusual drag or clearance problems.

I’m assembling a home made remote fuel tank now, I’m hoping to test fire the engine this afternoon. I’ve already pulled the spark plugs and valve covers and cranked the motor. I’m getting good oil flow to the head. Wish me luck!

It’s all good in the hood,

Went out this morning and re installed the rotor, it’s on right, I have no doubt, clearances are all good.

Then I pulled the front caliper off and squeezed the pads back in and re mounted it. Everything is tightened up now, with no unusual drag or clearance problems.

I’m assembling a home made remote fuel tank now, I’m hoping to test fire the engine this afternoon. I’ve already pulled the spark plugs and valve covers and cranked the motor. I’m getting good oil flow to the head. Wish me luck!
Excellent!
Now I'll be able to sleep tonight.:lmao:

And here we go!!!!!!!!!

First time this motor has ran in seven months!

This video is actually the second start up. The first start I was busy checking timing and the charging.
It is charging beautifully ( Thanks Jim! ) and the timing was dead on. I did not have to touch the carbs after starting, it idles perfect, throttle response is crisp with no stumbles. To say that I’m relieved would be an understatement.
Mostly all I did was clean things up and hone the cylinders. Same rings, no new parts other than a couple seals and gaskets. So to see it run nicely right out of the box was a huge relief.
Turn the volume up, it’s kinda low.
Wooo!
BDDDD922-3A5E-4D9B-8ADE-F6D4AC56E74D.png

Last edited:
And here we go!!!!!!!!!

First time this motor has ran in seven months!

This video is actually the second start up. The first start I was busy checking timing and the charging.
It is charging beautifully ( Thanks Jim! ) and the timing was dead on. I did not have to touch the carbs after starting, it idles perfect, throttle response is crisp with no stumbles. To say that I’m relieved would be an understatement.
Mostly all I did was clean things up and hone the cylinders. Same rings, no new parts other than a couple seals and gaskets. So to see it run nicely right out of the box was a huge relief.
Turn the volume up, it’s kinda low.
Wooo!
View attachment 188122
Sounds great, looks great Bob !!
I'm happy for ya!

I didn't see the fan going at first, so I thought that "note" in the background was the trumpets in Also Sprach Zarathustra cued up for dramatic effect....;)

I liked the bit where you tickled the decompressor - how quaint!

Had a decompressor on the l/h bar on my SR500. Once you learned the routine - push to compression, ease past with the lever, then a full, slow kick - that bike was a first-kick starter every time. Forgive my reminiscences . . .

Something for you to fiddle with while waiting for the tank - I noticed the position of the hitch pin on your rear axle back in post #302. I like to run mine with the closed end butted against the rear shock or it's mount. This holds the clip in place so it won't pop out .....

full

You will have to rotate the axle and find just the right spot so you can insert the clip and it locks behind the shock mount once rotated in. Above is my '78 with a partially stretched out chain (axle back farther). On my '83 with a practically new and unstretched chain, I had to position it differently .....

full

I liked the bit where you tickled the decompressor - how quaint!

Had a decompressor on the l/h bar on my SR500. Once you learned the routine - push to compression, ease past with the lever, then a full, slow kick - that bike was a first-kick starter every time. Forgive my reminiscences . . .

Yeah the decompressor isn’t really needed, but the starter switch is incorporated in either the lever. It makes the bike kinda unique.
I had the sibling of your SR500, I had an XT500 that had that same decompressor routine. That was a really fun bike!

Back