Main fuse blows after start

rmclaughlin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Main fuse blows immediately after starting. So I just rebuilt and synced my carbs, for a second time. Replaced everything to be safe. I reinstalled the carbs and started the bike and as soon as it started to run it shut down. The main fuse blew. So I installed a new one, twice and they blew. Gotta be a short somewhere Im thinking. Any obvious places I should look first?
Thanks
Rob

Posted via Mobile

As soon as the engine starts? The alternator starts putting out shortly after startup, and the mechanical relay type regulator goes to work. Could unplug charging system components, 1 at a time, and see if it stops eating fuses...

rmclaughlin, I had the very same problem - I followed the advice TwoMany suggests, and I unplugged the lights (blew a fuse), plugged lights back in and unplugged charging system circuit (no blown fuse). Then I traced it to a connection that was earthing. Fixed it, job done.

Anlaf

By the way, you might want to get a circuit breaker and put it where the main fuse goes so you don't end up going through twenty fuses to find the fault. CBs are two or three of your American dollars.

Anlaf

Back