Main Harness Wiring Question 1977 XS650D

MadHatch

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm pulling the stock wiring diagram from the Tech Section for my 1977 XS650D, and I have a question. In the diagram it looks to have matching wires plug into mismatching wires in the hardness pictures below:

I'm new to wiring and am trying to follow this diagram to replace my stock harness with a new harness. However, it's odd to me that the colors could perfectly match up, however the diagram has the wires meeting with different colors. (i.e. B/Y to Y/R, instead of B/Y to B/Y.

I'm thinking or worried I may be reading the wiring diagram wrong.... when i should be matching the colors as opposed to plugging them to what it seems they line up with.

Photo of area I'm working on below, left hand controls to main harness:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-30 17.30.05.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-30 17.30.05.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 194
On Mike's harnesses there have been reports of mismatched wire colors in the plugs.
Sometimes the wire colors of replacement items have different color wires than stock.
You can check which wires do what by using a ohm meter to see what input wires go to which output wires.
Leo

Yes, there have been mistakes reported with some of the MikesXS replacement harnesses. For instance, my buddy put one on his '80 Special II and now the headlight comes on with the key. It's not supposed to do that, lol.

Here is a D wiring diagram that shows where the colours should be in the connectors...........I haven't done a match up with a bike, no a guarantee this is right, something to check against with your bike............would be nice if you can confirm and report back on here for reference

77D Supp Manual 22 crop 2.jpg
77D Supp Manual 22 crop 2.jpg

If these images are to small to read well here is the 77D supplementary manual, (PDF), with the Wiring diagram.......Needs to be converted to JPEG to get a large file.........if you cant do that PM me with an email and i can send it to you.
Should blow up to this size as an example
77D Supp Manual 22 crop E.jpg

Attachments

• xs650d-supplementary-manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys. Yeah the MikesXs harness definitely has a few flaws with some wires that don't match the diagram in color. However through process of elimination I sorted it all out and matched up with the stock diagram.

I am having one wiring issue however. I've been working on my LED flashers. After going through many flasher relays, I finally have my LED turn signals flashing properly. However, when I plug in my headlight, the flashers do not work properly....

Somehow the main power to the headlight is taking the power from the tail lights or flasher...

Has anyone had this problem? Other than this, I should be golden.

I have a 1977 XS650D with e-ignition + e-advance. Stock Harness.
Tail Light Strip: LINK
Flasher relay: LINK

86 Guys,

I think it may have just been a slightly weakened battery. I plugged up the battery to a jumper and all my turn signals flash properly with my headlight plugged in.

Cheers

That's one thing you find out when playing with our XS650 electrics, you need a good fully charged battery.
You also need a good working charging system to keep the good battery fully charged.
Leo

I've started coating all my ground connections with copper anti-seize. I figure the anti-seize will ward off any corrosion and the copper bits in it should enhance the electrical connection. First, I wire wheel clean the connection spot on the frame and the eyelet on the ground wire. Then both get the anti-seize coating.

Back