Maxx650 Build Thread

Thanks guys, I'll look into 650centrals shocks and check my distance using that method TwoManyXS1Bs.

Glad you like the photo Johnt3, my friend shot it on his GoPro.. here's a bit of footage, some of me on my XS that day.

http://vimeo.com/66539123

Looks to have been a good ride man!:thumbsup: You lucky SOB!:laugh: I'm still sitting and makin' VROOM VROOM sounds!:doh: It won't be too long before I'm riding.:bike:

What tail lights are those? I'm looking for an oval one but may do the same thing with mine as an alternative.

Do you need the balancer to run LEDs? How difficult are they to wire?

They are these M5-HB series 2" LEDs from superbrightleds.com:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...gh-brightness-2in-round-led-marker-lamp/1086/ Very bright and look great at night.. I wish they were a bit brighter for the day time but they are only 2 inches.. I also thought these ones looked brighter than the 9 LED version which has less reflective surfaces inside.

I use Signal Dynamic module Tri-Star™ XP Turn Signal to Brake Conversion with Running Lights:
http://www.signaldynamics.com/index...page=flypage.tpl&product_id=41&category_id=43

The Signal Dynamics module comes with the dual load equalizer (balancer)... technically you don't need it, but then you'd have to swap out your flasher relay to be an LED flash relay.. since it came with it and my relay was fine I just used and and kept my original thermal flasher relay.

I found it pretty easy to wire in.. comes with some instructions and a visual diagram to help you understand. If you get stuck I can also try to give a hand.

I see. So I'd need that signal dynamics module to use those lights as tail lights? I really just want smaller tail lights than anything I can find. That is, small simple ones without any kind of bracket. I want to mount them jut like you did. Unfortunately, I want to do it without spending the 65 dollars on that module. Do you know of any other options?

Sadly, I did not find any alternative to achieve this. Yes I agree the $65 price is a bit high but I had a specific vision in mind and that was the only way to do it. On the plus side the lights are only $2 or so. I ordered some extras, grommets and plugs.

Others will suggest a few alternatives that are on ebay but they aren't dual lights like mine are but will be 1 unit you hang below the cowl. Aso there I'd an option for a license plate bracket turn signal/brake light combo.

If you'd like to achieve my effect you'll have to go with Signal Dynamics as var as I know.. Unless you can build one yourself! :D

The hardest part was actually drilling / filing the holes out evenly and center lined. I even used a computer projector in a dark garage with a grid. Getting those holes cut perfectly on a complex curve was tricky and I really only had 1 shot as it took me 3 months to get that seat!

I see. Well, to your benefit it does look awesome. I think I would settle for separate turn signals if I could just get some tail/ brake lights like that.

If you decide just do a dual tail/brake light and have additional lights for turn signals then, yeah, you won't need the SD modules (Although if you get LED turn signals you'll need either a load balancer or LED flasher relay).

The only similar thing I've seen is a dual tail/brake light + license plate bracket setup here:

4671151YIGUdFFpL.jpg

http://licenseplatelights.net/motor...zx600-vulcan-vn-2000-1500-800-750-zzr600.html

Or you can just order 2 dual intensity LEDs like mine and wire them up as your brake/tail lights and set them in your seat however you like.

Those look pretty nice Limpy.. I tried looking for an easy solution like that. Looks good on that Kawa on the page.. Make a big difference though between having a flat back surface and a complex curve that I had with Omar's cafe seat.

Those look great! I think I'm going to go for the HLR3. Still a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I'm picky enough to go for it. I was hoping to get lucky with one of those 6$ ones :wink2: Thanks!

Can someone explain to me why you need a resistor if you run LEDs? I'm trying to understand this. Is it just that they use less voltage and therefore not running one would send too much power to them? What would the result of that be?

I found a couple of LED license plate lights that are only two light bulbs total. Can I wire them into my tail light without a resistor because they are only single bulbs?

Hey Take_Warning15, welcome to the mysterious and fascinating world of semiconductors. There's probably a better explaination out there on the 'net, but here's a simplified explaination. Rectifiers/diodes present a voltage drop to a circuit, rather than a resistance. A typical diode has an essentially infinite resistance in reverse flow, but in forward flow, it produces a voltage drop around 0.6v. A Light Emitting Diode presents a forward voltage drop around 2.2v. Also, the effective working current for a LED is around 10-20 milliamps, much more and it fries. So, if you want a LED to work in a 14v line, you must limit the current. To get that 20ma flow on a 14v supply, you subtract the LED forward voltage drop, 2.2v, to get about 11.8v. Now what resistance is needed to get 11.8v at .020 amp? V=I*R gets you 590 ohms. If you want to use a commonly available resistor, a 560 ohm will do.

Clear as mud?

If not, try this:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233

Last edited:
Yeah, that helps a bit. I understand the concept but the details are a bit murky. I'm going to see what I can find to read. I suppose I should have paid more attention in Physics class.

Thanks cozy, I studied journalism and I'm currently a web developer so I'm a fan of good documentation.

I got my new rear master cylinder in the mail from mikes. Got really frustrated trying to bleed it the ole fashion way by pumping with my hand for an hour before I realized it is so full of air ill need to prime it properly. Went to HF and got a vacuum bleeder.. Took a bit to do it properly but it's done.. Probably no other way to do it and for $25 ot a bad tool to have. Also painted my rear mud guard with some left over VHT black paint. Looks nicer.

Still need to get my seat repainted.. Also time to take it to a buddy to aid me in checking my valves and carbs. Had a top end rebuild about 2000 miles ago so it's time to check up on everything, although seems to run nicely.

Found a photo of almost how I got got the bike 2 years ago.. It had a big windshield on it, a king/queen seat and side covers (which were just off for this photo)
abB4US2.jpg

And earlier this week:
2Yy8Eag.jpg

Last edited:
Back