Maxx650 Build Thread

I love the look of your bike Maxx650.That's a big change between before and after. I was just looking at the first pics of my bike and I'm amazed at the difference.

Dakota_Lew asked for some info about mounting the magnetic pickup for the Vapor so I thought I'd put the info in here as well:

Here are some photos of my "Z" shaped tetris-like bracket. It's basically just goes on the bottom front brake caliper mounting hole - goes in nearly an inch so that the pickup is about 1/2" away from the rotor bolts (I believe that's what the instructions said..) The photos show that it's pretty close..

I have 1 of my rotor bolts replaced with a bolt with a magnet in the head (image 3).. The vapor kit should come with a magnet/bolt with magnet in it but it's for a FZ and the bolt is too small for the XS rotor.. For me - I had a perfect sized bolt with a magnet already in it from a different crappy mikes electronic speedo that failed.. however the magnets provided with the vapor are the same type. I would just take a rotor bolt and dimple with with a dril until you can slip the magnet in there flush.. it won't fall out but you can use some glue if you'd like to keep it in there.

Let me know if I can help with anything about the vapor

Excuse the poor condition of my rotor :D

w2JgVPq.jpg

j7Hp4mt.jpg

6IqWiA8.jpg

Bolt with magnetic in the head (dimpled head)
xIYnr3w.jpg

I don't know the threads and I can measure the length after work but it's the same as the OEM brake disc bolt, part #90101-08307/08312/08477.

Here they are on Mikes:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/30-3064.html

In this thread someone thinks they are M8 (no mention of length) - but they also mention that these bolts are special in their construction:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25439

If you have a drill with the right bits it would be just as easy to dimple and existing one and lay it in there. The vapor will come with a bolt / magnet like this that you can pop it out (the bolt is just too small). Or like Carbon says you can just buy the neodyne magnet for a couple bucks.

I guess i could pop one in a drill press and then add the magnet. Problem solved. Thanks for the time. really liking the build, cant wait to get mine started

Been pretty busy and haven't done much lately except for plenty of riding! :bike:

Went for a nice long 75 mile cruise west of Austin and broke down! Nothing mechanical thankfully. Was just climbing up a hill, started sounded a bit rough, shifted down and died half-way up it. Pushed it to the top and rested in the shade.

Dead battery - couldn't crank the electric start and I haven't bent my kicker yet to clear my rear sets so that wasn't on. Had my brother come jump start me (a few times) back to the city. Put my battery on a trickle charger and road around town a little the next day and it was dead at the end of the day.

Put it on the trickle again and ran a few crude tests... need to go through curly's guide again a check everything but I'm thinking my MikesXS reg/rect has possibly crapped out..

Numbers:
13.0 V battery (bike off)
12.54 V bike on
12.2 - 12.5 idling
Drops down to 7-10 V when revving up 2-3-4K RPM - weird!!
Disconnected, (no load test) my + wire from the reg/rect to battery is getting 12-13-14 V when revving 2-3-4K RPM (expected to my knowledge), however when I hook it back up to the battery and put it under load again, it does the above (dropping down to 7-10V when revving up).
Slap test again the stator works so stator is fine.

Need to do more tests! Something obviously went wrong recently within the last week or perhaps on the long ride.. Since my original tests when putting the bike back together showed accurate charging of the battery and put about 500 miles on it before the issue.

how was that digital gauge swap i am looking at putting one on my bike. i am considering a number plate headlight unit from benjies cafe racer and with stock gauges that would be a bit silly

Been a while once again. Hey everyone!

Yamahawarrior - gauge swap was simple. could probably put it on a bicycle if you wanted.

Since my last post, I've replaced the alternator (rotor and stator) and cleaned up a few sloppy wires. It's been killing it ever since. I ordered another piece of hardware from Signal Dynamics (the company that builds the turn signal modules I used) - a single LED charging indicator, it's incredible. I mounted it nicely to my vapor gauge dash and it gives me a really easy way to keep an eye on my battery with with a single LED that changes red/amber/green with blinking patterns to indicate status. Best investment so far. The shorai battery has also been a great investment. http://www.signaldynamics.com/heads-up-voltage-monitor/. Also cleaned up the carb area a bit and put on some Uni pods, wayyyy better than the pleated K&N's for my CVs.

Here's a recent pic:
v9dM2cN.png

I was in a pretty messy car accident in October that resulted in a broken wrist, so I wasn't able to drive or ride for a while. Sadly my bike sat for a couple months (outside nonetheless). Just put some TLC into it last weekend and now it's my daily rider since I no longer have a car. Also bought a new bicycle but that was stolen within a month.

Holy crap, Max! Car wreck, stolen bike? Sorry for your losses. You holding up okay?

Yeah, that single-LED voltage monitor is a neat gadget. Everybody could use one...

Yeah it's been a crazy end of the year! Very bummed about losing my bicycle but that's life, I'll find another.. at least it wasn't my XS! Wrist is mostly healed, with some minor pain.. but clutching hasn't been an issue so that's good. Went dirtbiking over Thanksgiving and had no problems despite a couple spills.

My very loyal 2000 Audi Quattro station wagon was destroyed, both cars totaled (not my fault, the other drivers.. head on collision in rainy dark weather).. Can't imagine how it would have gone down on my XS.

All is good with me though! More time to spend riding my XS and fixing her up to keep as a daily. It'll be seeing a thorough carb cleaning soon, new tires and rear suspension.

Here's how I mount my single LED on the vapor (just drilled through one of the provided extra 'blank' dashboard light indicators)

BmNoRBN.jpg

Very clean!!
As far as the brightness of the LED, how is it at night? I've heard of some lights being annoyingly bright at night. I guess they walk a fine line between bright enough in daylight and too bright at night.
Mike

The LED brightness from the voltmeter module is pretty spot on I would say. It's plenty bright to be clearly seen in daylight, and I've never noticed any distraction from it during night riding. If anything, it gives me a wonderful warm feeling seeing it at a solid green all the time :D

The vapor gauge came with a few 'dummy' light lenses to put in place if you aren't using all 4 light options/slots.. The dummy lenses it came with are not transparent though.. if I had a replacement transparent lens I would have mounted the LED under the lens to blend in better / refract some of the LED's light.

Hey everyone! It's been a while, but I figured I'd finish up this thread with news that I have just sold my XS650.

About 6 months ago I bought a 2013 DR650 and I just didn't have the time to give my XS the love it deserved and didn't want to see it sit outside under a cover any longer. I had a ton of fun on the cafe conversion project and even more blasting down the roads after.

Here's my new daily (with the XS covered in the background :( )
3aSeXG8.jpg

On the bright side of things I did just purchase this today for $300. Comes with 2 motors both with good compression, a cleaned carb with extra rebuild kit, 2 new shoes, a few new cables, new oil tank, speedo and tach. I'm excited to get to work on this one.
1971 Yamaha RT360
q9i89X3.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's help in this forum, I'm still here lurking. On that note, anyone have any good resources for fixing up the RT360? I'm looking for another good forum to read up on, or whatever else is available.:bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike:

Back