Melted Grounds, Reversed Polarity, No Spark Need Help

dalelemons4

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here is my set up
1980 electronic ignition, chopped harness

Rec/Reg, stock ignition, stock coil, small battery, headlight taillight, kick start only

Ok so i reversed the polarities on accident while trying to charge my bike.I melted a few ground wires and burned up some other stuff i guess.

luckily i have a spare bike with spare parts from the same year.

I have replaced: Battery, coil, rec/reg, re wired some burnt grounds, ignition.

I am almost positive that all of the parts from the other (parts) bike work fine and are good.

When i turn the key the headlight and tail light shine bright. im getting power to the coil and everything seems right but im not getting any spark.

Oh and i was on here before and you guys helped me build my bike. I forgot my Username and Password so i had to start new. I really appreciate any help in advance

If there is any other info that would help you help me....let me know

thanks again

You did not mention replacing the condenser/capacitor.

I would suspect you would blow that out reversing the polarity, most capacitors don't like reversed polarity.

If he is referring to the condensors for the points, you might have a hard time finding them on your bike. Are you running the stock TCI box? If so try switching with the one from the parts bike.

Yes, the TCI would not like reverse polarity either.

I have an XS2, so was not thinking about the fact they ditched the points.

F me I'm out there going... Capacitor? Wtf is there a capacitor . Lol. Ok so no capacitor. 1980. I'm not too keen with a voltage meter but I've been trying to learn how to test each of the components I have. Bit of a rube I am

I did replace the box with another one that was working on the last bike it was on. im going to go through the bike more thoroughly tonight and see if i cant find another reason why its not getting spark

again ive done so far:
New spark plugs
Replaced coil
replaced re/reg
replaced ignition box
rewired burned / melted grounds
new battery

headlight and tail light work, the power wire to the coil was reading like 10 volts as well so the power is getting to the coil i assume

Ok i put the battery on the tender and when i get back from work ill try it again. Im not sure how to check the continuity / resistance of the TCI pickup coil on the stator cover. Just remove the stator cover and test the hot lead? Im so bad at electrical but after this hopefully i will learn a thing or two.
One thing learned that ill make sure to never do again, hook up the charging cables backwards...

The coil needs power, the TCI box needs power to. The red/white wire on the TCI box, and the red/white wire at the coil, is where you hook the battery power after a engine stop switch.
Look in the XS650 tech section. Look under the Electrical section, find the topic "some Wiring Diagrams.
I like #4. It starts with the basic points ignition and separate reg and rec. It has the TCI and the combo reg/rec in boxes. Just swap the boxes to match what you have.
Leo

I would be checking ALL my wires to see if any melted together,and making sure I did not have a dead short.

Your repair manual has the procedure for testing the pick ups, as well as most every electrical device.
Leo

Back