MIG Welder Suggestions.

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
About 30yrs ago a buddy of mine had this Hobart/Craftsman MIG welder that he couldn't get to work. He'd bought it new a few yrs earlier and all it would do is pop and sputter, so it just forlornly sat in a corner of his garage. One day he jus' up and gave it to me. The fix was easy enough, he'd added the "gas kit" to it and neglected swap the polarity of the gun at the same time. Hell, swapping polarity was the first step in the kit instruction. In less than an hour I was "cooking bacon" like a madman. Anyway... the week before my foot surgery it went to that happy shop in the sky... the rectifier is shot. Parts are no longer available. I could modify it to accept a more modern replacement rectifier, but to be honest, I don't really feel like putting the time into it. In about 2 mo I'll turn 69. I think it's time to pick my battles a little more judiciously.

So... I'm on the hunt for a new welder. Being laid up, I've had plenty of time to research welders and pick one. I've read reviews and watched Youtube videos 'till my eyes bled.... and yet I can't decide on a replacement. In fact, the more I read and watch, the further away I am from picking one. I'm gonna be off my feet for a few more weeks at least, so there's no tearin' rush, but I'd like some "real work" opinions here. Here's the "wanted" criteria:

120A minimum.
120/240 supply capable would be nice, but 240 only is acceptable.
Gas. Not interested in flux core.
Light weight. Preferably under 25lbs
Under $500... the "more under" the better.

What are you using and how happy with it are you with it?

Doing the same shopping
you could pick up my snap on 130 amp ;^)
It's a work horse but a bit light for 3/8" steel.
A big phail on the under 25lbs.
Watching CL and FBM for the holy grail 230V inverter with a spool gun and cheap.
Gotta watch the duty cycle on the imports, they throw up a big amperage # then drag it back in the small print with a stupid low duty cycle. :confused:

Well that's 2 of us that'll be 69 in just less than 2 months so Congratulations.
Use to see a lot of ads for YES Welders and seems to me a guy on here did get one a year or two ago and seemed pretty happy with it.
Might be good idea to look him up and see if he's still of the same opinion with time.

I've got a Hobart Handler 210. It works well. 210 amp, 120/240 and accepts gas.
It's over 25 lbs but not bad.
Definitely more than $500.

Gotta watch the duty cycle on the imports, they throw up a big amperage # then drag it back in the small print with a stupid low duty cycle. :confused:
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Bastids... :cautious:

Well that's 2 of us that'll be 69 in just less than 2 months so Congratulations.
28 Sept. You?

Definitely more than $500.
Unfortunately, that's a hard ceiling for me. This comes out of the "mad money" pot... the one Sue don't know about. :sneaky:

Well Jim considering it's still June, end of August, so less than 2 months

Well Jim considering it's still June, end of August, so less than 2 months
Yeah... never claimed math genius status.... guess it's closer to 3 mo for me.... oops.

I purchased a multipurpose titanium machine from HF when it was on sale.

Had it a few years and never had an issue with it.

I let a buddy that’s a plumber and welds a lot of sheet metal borrow it and he seemed to like it just fine.

The upside to them is the extended warranty (and you can often get em on sale).

The multipurpose titanium 200 (stick/mig/tig) is on sale for member at 499. Also has a pretty decent spool gun to weld aluminum (works on all their mig machines)

Use to see a lot of ads for YES Welders and seems to me a guy on here did get one a year or two ago and seemed pretty happy with it.
Might be good idea to look him up and see if he's still of the same opinion with time.
Make that 3 of us turning 69 in 2 months. ( August 30 )

I want to learn about welding. Why no flux core? How hard or easy is it to get the shielding gas containers filled?
How hard or easy is it to get gas for a small oxy eseteleen torch set up.

Why no flux core?
Because you get much cleaner welds with shielding gas.
Just about any town over the size of about 5000 people will have a welding supply store where you can buy gas. If not the next town over will.

Last edited:
What are y'alls thoughts on this one? 4.5 stars out of 1600 ratings borders on unbelievable. Coupon for $30 off gets it to $330 + tax. Almost sounds too good to be true. I already have a good TIG welder, so I don't really need that added functionality... whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/YESWELDER-Di...2a5-9370-9352fb6590f7&pd_rd_i=B07TVCWDGW&th=1

1688162458319.png

Back