mikes xs 5th gear overdrive machining

hank2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just got mikes 5 th gear overdrive gear. I have a '79 SF and after all the research to make sure this gear fits, it doesn't. Has anyone had this gear machined to fit the shaft with success? I am concerned about everything meshing properly once installed in the cases. Any insight would be appreciated.

There were previous posts about the inner diameter being a little on the small side and about having it bored so that it fits. If I remember correctly the splines were correct just the I.D. was off.

Thanks guys. Measured the outside of the old and new gear and they were within .001 so I just got back from having the new one machined to fit the shaft. Kind of between a rock and a hard place as you can't return the gear. This is the first problem I've had with Mikes XS, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. Hope it works. Along with Hughs rephasing of the crank, I hope for a smoother, faster ride. Cheers!

Thanks guys. Measured the outside of the old and new gear and they were within .001 so I just got back from having the new one machined to fit the shaft. Kind of between a rock and a hard place as you can't return the gear. This is the first problem I've had with Mikes XS, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. Hope it works. Along with Hughs rephasing of the crank, I hope for a smoother, faster ride. Cheers!

I have had to machine each and every 5th gear OD that has come in from MikesXS in the last 12 months or so :shrug: I guess I don't think about it much, as I check and machined everything to be perfect as I build these things... Glad you got it sorted

That is a good question. It's too late for this rebuild but I have two more I hope to get to and would certainly try some other product if available. It seems to be a desirable upgrade to this great motorcycle. Is there any stateside company that can manufacture this gear? One would hope so. I would pay extra for a gear that arrives at my door ready to install. I suppose I've gone a bit to far on this. Thanks for the input. Cheers!

In use does the 5th gear slide on the spline when shifting, or is it in a fixed position? Can a patient guy use a hand file on Mikes gear to fit properly?

I also just recently went through this whole ordeal. That gear needs to float on the shaft so pressing it on or god-forbid beating it on is definitely frowned upon. I had the local machine shop machine the new one to match the ID of the one I pulled and got it back in my engine. Everything seems smooth at this stage, but my engine is back in my bike yet.

An ordeal it is. If Mikes could just tell the purchaser the gear needs to be reamed to fit the shaft, one would know what to expect. I am happy with the fit now but will be a good while before I get to see the results as this is a budget controlled project. It is good to know I am not completely alone on this. Cheers!

How far off are they? Few thou or more?

The other threads are sayin .978 or close to it
.I'm just wondering if its a tooling setup problem at the factory or just inconsistent i.d.

Posted via Mobile

Dyslexia at its finest.
Would take forever and a day. But iwonder if a brake hone, setup tight would do it.alas mine is off as well

Posted via Mobile

Dyslexia at its finest.
Would take forever and a day. But iwonder if a brake hone, setup tight would do it.alas mine is off as well

Dyslexics have more fnu.

I think that's been tried, unsuccessfully. If you dig back through the older 'overdrive' threads, you can get an idea of what others have done. Try to find azman's posts. He reported grinding overheat from his shop...

In use does the 5th gear slide on the spline when shifting, or is it in a fixed position? Can a patient guy use a hand file on Mikes gear to fit properly?

No way, it would never be perfectly concentric, and the bearing surface is "Hard as a mofo" to put it technically.

How far off are they? Few thou or more?

The other threads are sayin .978 or close to it
.I'm just wondering if its a tooling setup problem at the factory or just inconsistent i.d.

Posted via Mobile

We just machined 3 here at the shop, and all of them had different ID's - we had to take .011" out of one.

Dyslexia at its finest.

Posted via Mobile

I doubt it, that surface is VERY hard. I have a special boring bar that is extremely rigid, and still was getting deflection in the bar when cutting these. I use a special Mitsubishi grade cutter as well, and it still would only allow .001-.002" cut at a time.

Sounds like another service you can offer Hugh. When I get around to the next crank I would like to rephase I might just throw in the overdrive. I am sure I can find a nest in that Priority box for it. Sorta kidding! Cheers.

Good to know. Guess I need to find a machine shop

I have an old rigid hone that is small enough, ill waste a lunch break and see ,I'm stubborn like that

Posted via Mobile

Hugh, can the gear alone be sent to you to be machined, or do you need the shaft also it will go on, to fit it properly?

Its honestly not something we are doing as of now, our shop rate is $85 an hour, and being that it takes about 45 minutes or so to setup and machine these things to our satisfaction, I doubt anyone is wanting to pay that much to have a $65 gear fixed...

Brake hone works, wore out the shoes pretty quick
started at .978
now at .984 with no measurable out of round or taper
stock i.d. 984

did take a solid 30min and 20$ in hones

Back