Mikes xs simplified wiring harness help!

Xs650 bobber

XS650 Member
Reaction score
IMG_2025.JPG IMG_2027.JPG IMG_2026.JPG
IMG_2025.JPG
IMG_2027.JPG
IMG_2025.JPG IMG_2027.JPG Hi, I recently installed the mikes xs simplified chopper wiring harness. I have a brand new recitifer/regulator for it also. I wired it up as it said with the inline 20amp fuses and grounded the battery to the frame. Also the battery is new and charged. I have no spark. Please let me know if this is right on the key switch. It says to have the brown and red wire on the same terminal. I know it's not pretty but I just want to get spark for now. Also it's the stock key switch and the brown and blue are for lights from what I gather? Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 220
On your stock key switch, power from the battery through a 20 amp fuse to the red wire on the key switch. The brown is power out to most eveything on the bike. The blue is power to the tail light.
Where the instructions say "hook the red and brown wires to the same terminal" are the red wire feeding power to the ignition, should be through a 7.5 amp fuse, and the brown wire to the reg/rec. These wires get hooked to the brown wire from the key switch.
I assume you have the 80-84 stock TCI ignition system. On the TCI you need to have power to the red/white at te TCI box as well as at the coil. Power flows to the coil on the r/w wire, from the coil to the TCI box on the orange wire. The TCI grounds the orange wire to control sparek.
On your grounds, if you are using the frame as a ground path you need clean bare metal ti clean bare metal connections. Any paint or powder coat stop poweer flow.
The TCI also uses the pick ups on the stator to read the magnet mounted in the rotor. As the magnat passes the pick ups a signal is sent to the TCI box that tells the TCI box when to fire the plugs.
If any of these things mentioned are not right, no spark. Check all your connections. Use your multimeter to check for voltage at all the componetents along the path from the battery to the coil and TCI box.
As you check for these things you can leave the plug on the reg/rec unplugged. You won't need it for checking for spark. Once you find spark you can plug the reg/rec back in.
Leo

Thank you for your detailed reply. From what your saying is I should have my red wire going to the red on the key switch and my brown wire going to the brown on the key switch? And yes it's a 81 bike

Depends on which red wire your talking about. The main power flows through the main fuse to the key switch. Usually it's red. this is the only red wire to hook to the red wire on the switch.
The brown wire on the switch sends power out to the rest of the bike. Any thing you want powered by the main switch will get it's power from the brown wire.
I might suggest you look up in the TECH section, scroll to the Electrical heading, in there you will find a thread titled "Some Wiring Diagrams" In there you will find a stock diagram for your bike and several simplified diagrams.
Find one that has the items you are using and study it. Tracing the power flow from the battery to the various items.
I also like #4 on the list. It shows a very simple points with separate regulator and rectifier. In boxes it has the later TCI and combo reg/rec. Just swap boxes. The starter is in the upper right corner.
In #4 find the battery, follow the red wire from the battery to the main switch. After the switch the brown wires runs to fuses. After the fuses the wire color changes, Red to the kill switch for ignition, blue to lights, and brown to brake switches and everything else.
If you want more items just add a fuse and run wire.
Leo

Thank you for all the help and for referring me to the tech section. That all helped me and she's finally running. I had the brown wire on the red and no power to the key switch. Finally after a engine rebuild and bobber fabrication it's almost ready to roll! Just needs to be tidy up

Attachments

• IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 461
Back