missing valve cover stud

bobuII

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am missing a valve cover stud on the right exhaust side I dont know if the stud has threads on it or if it's just pressed in to the head has anyone had the problem be for and how did you solve it ?

I just ordered one from Mike's. Mine is the right side front, so the one that uses the smaller size studs. For now I just stuck a metric allen screw with the same threading in there with a couple washers under the head. It works ok.
In mine the deep threads are bad, but the first few in are ok, so I have to use a short-ish fastener. When I get the replacement stud I might JB weld it in, with some of the high temp JB Weld.

Just be careful as some of the stud holes (the bottom ones for sure on the right side) pass all the way through into the valve train. So... drilling and tapping must be done with caution if you want to avoid shavings in there.

I'm trying to figure out about these holes. If the stud threads all the way in relatively smoothly, to the right depth (as far as I can tell they're in as far as the same as the other good ones) why would they just continue to spin when lightly torqued? Today I discovered I have a SECOND one that can't be tightened. That one definitely still has good threads - it simply never seats. I'm wondering if I ran a gasket that might help - at least with the one that still has good threads. The other one is FUBAR and I have to consider the heli-coil.

Back