Moving to Alaska: Logistics

Take Warning15

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I just got offered a job in Anchorage, Alaska. I currently live in Philadelphia. As a 23 year old, I feel like I'd be foolish to turn down an opportunity to live in Anchorage. However, I'm thinking that if I want to get the most out of the experience, I should have a car. This way, on my own free will, I can drive out of the city and explore. I'm sure I'll meet people with cars, but I think that it would be very convenient to have my own vehicle to get around. That being said, I can't decide if I should fly out and buy a car, ship my car (seems super expensive), or try to drive it. I do have a deadline to meet so time is relatively limited. Anyone ever done something like this? What do you all think?

If you like the car you have now, and its mechanically sound,and you have the time, then drive your car to Alaska.

If you're short of time, then take a plane. Leave your car and have a friend sell it for you.

I don't think shipping your car is an option.

I love the car... I'm definitely not selling it. I won't be in Alaska forever. I just can't decide what to do for transportation once out there. I bet it would be an incredible drive.... but to do it alone?

I love the car... I'm definitely not selling it. I won't be in Alaska forever. I just can't decide what to do for transportation once out there. I bet it would be an incredible drive.... but to do it alone?

Anchorage is a big city.....................no shortage of cars to buy or lease/rent when you get there. If you're having doubts about the long drive, then go for the airplane ride.

You're in the prime of your life, so make the best of it. Go for the adventure. When I was your age, I was traveling all over eastern, central and western Canada. Some of the best years of my life.

" I won't be in Alaska forever".....................thats what they all say. Just wait until you see the Northern Lights and the pretty women:D.

I live in anchorage. Your not gonna drive anything that's not 4wd thru Canada to here for a few more months. Fly here, buy here, sell it when your gone. There is no going without a car here. No major public trans. Daytime local bus in town. ...no trams trains or whatnot. What's your job opportunity and where? Maybe I can suggest a plan or good places for apt hunting.

That's a very long drive. Well worth it if you had the time (1 week?) and money to see the sights and fix breakdown(s). But only if it's summer! Still got winter goin' on between you and there.

I'd concern myself with the job first. Get that locked down so they don't think you're a wanderlust. The transportation issue is best settled after you're up there and get a feel for the country.

Strongly suggest you hook up with Trex...

Plus one on trying to get feel on the job "opportunity" from a local or 3 There are a lot of scams out there. Good luck, it's awesome to be 23! plus whatever on fly and buy.

I live in anchorage. Your not gonna drive anything that's not 4wd thru Canada to here for a few more months. Fly here, buy here, sell it when your gone. There is no going without a car here. No major public trans. Daytime local bus in town. ...no trams trains or whatnot. What's your job opportunity and where? Maybe I can suggest a plan or good places for apt hunting.

I'd love to take you up on that offer. The job is at Anchorage International. I was wondering how I'd do without 4 wheel drive, anyway. I also wasn't sure if I should try to lock a place to live up before I come. I was leaning towards no because I don't know the neighborhoods or where to look. I figure I can stay in a hostel for a week or so until I figure a few things out.

I'd definitely love to get some coffee or a beer with you once I get there though! It's always nice to have someone to talk to in a new city, especially one on the other side of the world!

I live about a mile from the airport. The fridge in the shop always has some pbr and Alaskan amber in it. Cheap places to rent in Spenard. Not the best neighborhood but close to the airport. I'm on the other side near the bay.

Good to know. I'm hoping to be somewhere near places to hang out and meet people (coffee shops, cool bars, etc) downtown? I figure I'll manage with public transit or a bike for a while. But I suppose my budget is a priority. I won't be making all that much and have to be sure to be able to pay the bills... are there any neighborhoods that I should intentionally avoid?

Go nowhere Fairview or mountainview. There's no view and nobody you want to know.
Bike is good may to October. Maybe a lil rain. Sunlight til midnight. After that you'll need a 4wd or at least a front wheel drive car with studs is a must.

Very good. I don't think I'm going to have a bike. The xs is staying in Philly. I may try to do it without a vehicle and maybe just meet people with cars. I'm going to be on a strict budget so any expenses that I can eliminate will be a plus. I may try to have my parents drive my mini up once the weather warms a bit.

Back