my 0 skills rattlebomb paint job

malloym

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
well I just finshed putting on the clear, still needs a wetsand and a buff. BTW.. this is a 1st for me on this level of painting..

here was the attack on the tcbros axed tank.

- spraymax 2k epoxy primer.. 5 good coats, let cure for 24hrs. (18.00$ a can)
- red scrubby pad after primer (1.39$)
- 3M (bondo) finishing glaze, it's the good 2 part stuff so no shrinkage.. put this on after the primer to fill minor imperections. (21.00$)
- block sanded with 3M 600grit paper for a good 3hrs.. (5.99$)
- cleaned with wax, grease remover (7.99$)
- sprayed 5 coats of ALSA Black Gold Base Pearl (55.00$, includes shipping)
- finished with 4 coats of spraymax 2K glamour high gloss clearcoat (18.00 a can)

well that is the break down of steps and price for each step.. this was my first time spray painting a gas tank.. I still need to color sand it.. the black gold really pops in the sun... I used very best I could get in rattle can form... if I had to do it again I would have taken it to a shop.. my wife bought me all the supplys for my B-day so I was out of pocket very little..

now on to the pics..

alsapics417.jpg

alsapics418.jpg

alsapics423.jpg

alsapics421.jpg

alsapics422.jpg

still working on the rear fender.. this is 8 hrs into it.. epoxy primer, glazing and filling, then blocking it... still has a ways to go.

alsapics419.jpg

alsapics420.jpg

hopefully in a month the brat build will be done :)

Very Nice job and very informative post,Thanks for sharing! I cant wait to see it on your bike and out in the sun!! Once again nice work, Dig the color!!!:thumbsup:

LHG

Very cool! I know that those pics don't come even close to doing that paint justice. Nice work. Just curiosity, was there a specific reason you didn't go with the full Killer Cans setup from start to finish?

yea,, the black gold is amazing in the sun.....teebs I really don't know why. I've always enjoyed the spraymax products and have had great results... also ALSA is VERY expensive. there 2K clear is twice the price of spraymax and i'm sure it's the same stuff..

what really sucks is I have to order another can of the black gold to do the fender.. I got the tank cover and the whole can was smoked... it's sprays like a hvlp gun and the can was gone in 4 coats.. argg...

tommorow i'll post pics after color sanding and in the sun... it's really pops.. I a new fan of ALSA.. ( just not the prices)

Have you checked for discounts (googled for coupons?) I got a 50% off coupon directly from ALSA. I subscribed to their newsletter and sometimes they have specials (guess that's too late) Also know they have some stuff discounted at amazon.

Looks great, it's surprising what can be done with rattle cans, just gotta be careful with the gasoline.

Looks great, it's surprising what can be done with rattle cans, just gotta be careful with the gasoline.

Ummm, why would I have to be careful with gasoline.. it's got a 2K clearcoat on it.. ( like 5 coats) look again at the pics..

Beautiful job, my father-in-law just finished doing his H-D softail this summer and used spray-max products and PPG paint all from a can and it turned out awesome, Looks just like a professional paint job.

I paint professionally . . that looks great. And you shouldn't be surprised at what a spray can can do guys. Its the material that is suspect. But with this product, you are using professional quality materials. Then a motorcycle has small pieces, such that a spray bomb can handle, so no reason you can't get perfect results if you do it correctly. The key is having the pro quality materials that allow you to cut and buff. However, please be very careful because hardener is dangerous stuff. I know its missed inside, but when you spray it, it can be lethal to some people and is good for no one. Google isocyanates.

Last edited:
yea, I just wetsanded with 1500grit and hit it with 4 more coats of clear.. :) the pearl is really popping in the sun

any yes,, with this stuff RESIPRATOR is manadatory...

Looking good bro. How about I ship my XS down to you for the Northeast winter season and you can get my engine stripped down and rebuilt.

Back