My 20+ year project

Thanks Tom, good to here from another "local" owner. Yeah, happy to organise a meet up sometime, not many 650 owners down my way, I've only seen one other in 20 years of owning mine.

OK Meddy, I've got some needle info for you. First, here's a comparrison pic of all the needles used in the BS38s, along with a couple others .....

syuKACC.jpg

As I suspected, the 4M1 is fatter (leaner) than both the 5O2 and 4N8. The 4N8 is a little fatter than the 5O2, but is probably still your best option .....

g0cu2dB.jpg

Comparing tapers between the 5O2 and 4N8, they are very similar in both length and taper .....

dQTBIJ4.jpg

I suppose you could try the carbs with the 4M1 needles but if the midrange is lean, I'd recommend the 4N8 needles. They are about a MM longer but that could be easily compensated for with the e-clip setting. Your only other option would be to change all the other jets to match what was used with the 4M1 needle. Or, find the proper slides. Then you could use 5O2 needles.

Many thanks 5Twins for taking the time to investigate this, I really appreciate it. I will get myself a couple of the 4N8 needles and see how they go.
It's going on for 20 years since I last rode the bike, but I seem to remember it used to stumble a bit in the midrange and those 4M1 needles might account for that, at the time I was also having problems with the charging system ( surprise surprise) and I put it down to that.

One of my goals for this project has always been to be able to start the engine before I get too far into the build. I was now at the stage where this was very close and having a couple of free days I decided to have a red hot crack at getting this old girl going.
First off I had some wiring to finish as I had not done anything with the charging circuit. I have been reading up and checking out different wiring diagrams for some time now so I was pretty sure how I wanted it all done, so I spent a fair bit of time on that yesterday getting it all neat & tidy and testing all connections as I went. So far so good.
Next I had to reassemble the tops of the carbs as I had pulled them apart again after 5twins advice on them having the wrong needles. ( I figured the old ones would do for testing purposes).
I had the battery on the charger overnight just to make sure it was fully charged, so today was just a matter of fitting the carbys back on and connecting up my temporary fuel supply.
With the fuel turned on all looked good, then, a couple of drips of fuel from the base of the left hand carby! what!
No problem, just the drain plug needed snugging up a whisker.
OK, I was ready to go, key on, heart in mouth, and, believe it or not, I even had the fire extinguisher on the bench next to me, talk about self confidence.Not.
I hit the starter button, nothing! again, nothing! you have to be joking I think. I had checked and double checked all these connections, even had the starter turning the motor over when I bought the new battery.
OK, relax Mick, maybe you disconnected something when you were working on the wiring, I checked everything all good.
What about that safety cutout relay I think to myself. I gave it a smack with a screwdriver.
Hit the start button.
Bingo
You bloody beauty, it gave a couple of half hearted wheezes and then away it went, flick the choke off give it a bit of throttle and it was running, wouldn't idle at first till I upped the idle screw a turn or so, but there it was after sitting in pieces for near 20 years it was a runner again.
Ran it 3 times about 2-3 min each, could not see any oil leaks, so far.
I was keen to see how my wiring had gone on the charging circuit seeing as I was using a new rectifier (Ebay special) and a new regulator ( Bosch RE55)
Multimeter reading on battery engine stopped 12.9volts.
Engine running at fast idle 14.2volts, seems pretty good I think.

This is the first time I have ever built a motor from scratch, and I can tell you it was a magical feeling to know that I had been able to do this, so a big thanks to each and every member of this forum because it is from me reading and learning about this bike from all of your posts that I have been able to achieve this.

And here it is.......

Congrats Meddy! Nice job. Looks great, sounds great. Well Done!

I managed to get back in the shed again on the weekend after the Christmas festivities, temperatures a bit different here to what you Northern hemisphere folk are experiencing, 42c here on Saturday.
Started work on the brakes, cleaning up the rotors and painting them. I mounted one of those flappy disc things from an angle grinder into my bench drill and used that to clean up most of the crud, then followed with a brass wire brush in my cordless drill.
A couple of before and after pics.
IMGP4032.JPG
IMGP4034.JPG

IMGP4059.JPG

I managed to get back in the shed again on the weekend after the Christmas festivities, temperatures a bit different here to what you Northern hemisphere folk are experiencing, 42c here on Saturday.
Started work on the brakes, cleaning up the rotors and painting them. I mounted one of those flappy disc things from an angle grinder into my bench drill and used that to clean up most of the crud, then followed with a brass wire brush in my cordless drill.
A couple of before and after pics.
View attachment 111722 View attachment 111723
View attachment 111724
My Rd350 disc looks like yours. What grit flappy disc did you use?

Please let us know sometime if the pads are quiet when you apply the brakes. Several find that a good sand job cures the problem of squeaky brakes.

What grit flappy disc did you use?

Says 40 on the disc, I didn't choose this specifically, it just happened to be the one I had.

Please let us know sometime if the pads are quiet when you apply the brakes.

Will do , might be a while though at the speed I'm going:cautious:

Had the day off today so had some more shed time:)

Mounted the front rotor and caliper.
IMGP4073.JPG

My plan is to just go with a single disc so I am waiting for a 14mm master cylinder I ordered to be delivered to finish off along with my Banggood braided brake line.
I have also been working on my replacement speedo/instrument panel using a Trail Tech Striker.
IMGP4077.JPG

Biggest problem I have had so far with the install is my rudimentary fabricating skills trying to design and measure the mounting plate.:confused:
Not sure if I am totally happy with this first attempt, but it will do for wiring and testing purposes.
Main reason I chose this one is that it comes with a voltage readout, and as you all know a must on the XS, also comes with speedo, total mileage, tripmeters, clock and ambient temperature.
This particular model is made for a DR650 Suzuki, so it also comes with an engine temperature gauge, not sure how useful that will be but it's an interesting novelty.
Also comes with provision for 4 idiot lights, so I will use those for left & right indicators, high beam and neutral, these are all a requirement for getting a roadworthy certificate here in Victoria.
Some more pics of the Trail Tech so far.
IMGP4074.JPG

IMGP4075.JPG

IMGP4076.JPG

This particular model is made for a DR650 Suzuki, so it also comes with an engine temperature gauge, not sure how useful that will be but it's an interesting novelty.
Perhaps you could turn that into a cylinder head temp indication?

That should work OK Meddy - since those two fasteners are near the exhaust ports (i.e. the hot side of the engine).

Pete

Last edited:
Still waiting on a few more parts to arrive but I did get a new set of shockers so fitted them up over the weekend
IMGP4081.JPG

I also fitted my chainguard and test fitted the rear guard.
I still can't decide what to do with the rear guard. The chrome on it was pretty awful, so I have been rubbing it down with wet and dry, so now I have to decide whether to have it painted or keep it as is with maybe a clear coat on it.
IMGP4083.JPG

IMGP4084.JPG

Also hooked up the digital speedo, everything fitted like it was made for this bike, the magnetic bolt fitted one of the redundant rotor mount holes on the left side of the front wheel, and the engine temperature sensor reaches the No 13 bolt nicely.
And got to test the ambient temperature sensor, that's it bottom line centre, too bloody hot to be in the shed!!!
IMGP4085.JPG

One of my goals for this project has always been to be able to start the engine before I get too far into the build. I was now at the stage where this was very close and having a couple of free days I decided to have a red hot crack at getting this old girl going.
First off I had some wiring to finish as I had not done anything with the charging circuit. I have been reading up and checking out different wiring diagrams for some time now so I was pretty sure how I wanted it all done, so I spent a fair bit of time on that yesterday getting it all neat & tidy and testing all connections as I went. So far so good.
Next I had to reassemble the tops of the carbs as I had pulled them apart again after 5twins advice on them having the wrong needles. ( I figured the old ones would do for testing purposes).
I had the battery on the charger overnight just to make sure it was fully charged, so today was just a matter of fitting the carbys back on and connecting up my temporary fuel supply.
With the fuel turned on all looked good, then, a couple of drips of fuel from the base of the left hand carby! what!
No problem, just the drain plug needed snugging up a whisker.
OK, I was ready to go, key on, heart in mouth, and, believe it or not, I even had the fire extinguisher on the bench next to me, talk about self confidence.Not.
I hit the starter button, nothing! again, nothing! you have to be joking I think. I had checked and double checked all these connections, even had the starter turning the motor over when I bought the new battery.
OK, relax Mick, maybe you disconnected something when you were working on the wiring, I checked everything all good.
What about that safety cutout relay I think to myself. I gave it a smack with a screwdriver.
Hit the start button.
Bingo
You bloody beauty, it gave a couple of half hearted wheezes and then away it went, flick the choke off give it a bit of throttle and it was running, wouldn't idle at first till I upped the idle screw a turn or so, but there it was after sitting in pieces for near 20 years it was a runner again.
Ran it 3 times about 2-3 min each, could not see any oil leaks, so far.
I was keen to see how my wiring had gone on the charging circuit seeing as I was using a new rectifier (Ebay special) and a new regulator ( Bosch RE55)
Multimeter reading on battery engine stopped 12.9volts.
Engine running at fast idle 14.2volts, seems pretty good I think.

This is the first time I have ever built a motor from scratch, and I can tell you it was a magical feeling to know that I had been able to do this, so a big thanks to each and every member of this forum because it is from me reading and learning about this bike from all of your posts that I have been able to achieve this.

And here it is.......

Cool!....great little shed ya got there too mate..and so tidy.
Bike looks very tidy too.

I really like the instrument setup and may have missed this detail Meddy - but how will you make the tachometer work?

Geeeezzzz - Meddy - I just noticed the temperature reading: 41C (that’s over 105 degrees F for our US friends).

Holy frying eggs on the road Batman!

Pete

Last edited:
Cool!....great little shed ya got there too mate..and so tidy.
Bike looks very tidy too.
Thanks MBX, I have to try and keep it reasonably tidy or I can't find anything, needs to be bigger, but there again sheds are never big enough are they?

I really like the instrument setup and may have missed this detail Meddy - but how will you make the tachometer work?
No tacho on this model Pete, I figured I can just hook up the original for tuning purposes then take off again. I rarely rely on tachos when riding and I'll only be using the XS as a back road tourer so I'll only be plodding along.
Of course that might all change when I get it on the road

Geeeezzzz - Meddy - I just noticed the temperature reading: 41C (that’s over 105 degrees F for our US friends).
Yeah it's been a hot summer this year, and when it gets over 35C then I reckon it's too bloody hot,

Back