I use stubby screwdrivers for all my carb work, even when the carbs are off the bike. Well, I try to anyway. Sometimes part removal will call for something bigger, sometimes even a T-handle. But, for assembly and especially jet install, it's always a stubby. What I like even better is one of these finger bit holders .....

Thumbwheel.jpg

As far as 1/4" drive bits to fit the jets, I've taken to custom grinding my own for a precise fit. It's hard to find common screwdrivers that fit exactly because the jets have metric sized slots in them .....

JetBits2.jpg

Stubby.jpg

T-Handle.jpg

Yeah, in sequence per the manual, back off 1/4 turn one at a time, then re-torque one at a time, then move to the next one in sequence, maybe to highest setting, one at a time.

Scott

Still wondering if your throttle cable may be too tight, causing an intermittent high idle. I've had many throttles do this until it sunk in my head to leave some slop, maybe as much as 1/4", in the cables.

Scott

Great Day ! Looks beautiful in the sunshine ! today is your day mailman congrats back acha.. those pipes are fantastix ! -RT

Thanks TM , and thanks again for your contribution of the carburetor manifolds to my little project!

Still wondering if your throttle cable may be too tight, causing an intermittent high idle. I've had many throttles do this until it sunk in my head to leave some slop, maybe as much as 1/4", in the cables.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I did leave a little slack in the cable, but I did move it around a little after installing them. I'll double check them.

Thanks all, for the recommendations about head torquing and speedometer drive tests, I will give them a go when I can get around to them.

And oh yeah Pete, I caught that! I will make sure my bike is nice and secure. Believe me I won't make that mistake again. Haha!

gggGary and 5Twins, you guys got the right idea, I am going to get me some screwdrivers and or drive tips that will allow me to change jets without dropping the bowls.

Retired Gentleman, I've got my eye on some Motion Pro vacuum barbs for my carbs that will allow me hook up a manometer. ( Which I have yet to make)

Got the old girl licensed this morning, went to a local AAA office. So much nicer than MVD,
No crowd, would you like a cup of coffee sir?
Here sit in comfy chair while I type this up. In and out in 30 minutes with all documents finalized, don't have to wait for them to come in the mail. Got my historic vehicle license plate.
Look out Phoenix! A 60 year old rider with his 40 year old motorcycle is about to hit the streets! Woohoo! :bike:
IMG_1611.JPG

Well, kindly keep the rubber side down. We don't actually want to see YOU hitting the street, lol. A couple more follow-up comments - Install your jets just a little past snug and with a stubby screwdriver. You'll never get them out on the bike with a stubby if you put them in real tight with a full size screwdriver. And for some reason, jets seem to get tighter on their own after being in there a while, don't know why. When I install them, I tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen a couple times to get just the right "feel" for exactly how tight I want to make them. And like I said, it's not super max tight as they can go, just somewhere in between snug and as tight as possible.

For the cylinder nuts and bolts, it's a good idea to remove one at a time, clean & lube the threads (anti-seize), then re-install up to near the torque required. After they're all done, go back around and bring them all up to the setting you want (30 for the large acorn nuts, 16 for the bolts under the plugs).

Thanks 5T!
I'm usually very careful when I'm screwing anything into aluminum. If anything I go a little looser.
About the heads I think I'm going to order a set of those brass washers to replace the rubber coated ones. And then I am planning on doing a series of head re torquing. I'm thinking of something like put 50 - 75 miles on it and re torque, then repeat a couple times. Maybe I'll get lucky with the gasket leak, I'd even settle for just a little weepy. Then it would be like my old Triumph! Haha

Hey Mailman, You did so much ! Watching all this was so informative. Your bike is a beauty. your bike will "settle" then you can think about whats next.. Riding now, let it go and smile Eyes Up ! -RT

Remember, all you need is 4. The 4 outside studs are the only ones that flow oil and need a sealing washer. The 4 inner studs are dry so the original steel washers are fine on them.

Oh ok , I didn't realize that's what the copper was about. I thought the whole idea was to get rid of the vagueness of the rubber washers while torquing.
You know , to get a more consistent torque value.

Well, it's partly that, you need something soft enough to seal but hard enough to hold the torque value. The rubber seals but the nuts won't stay tight.

Got the old girl licensed this morning, went to a local AAA office. So much nicer than MVD,
No crowd, would you like a cup of coffee sir?
Here sit in comfy chair while I type this up. In and out in 30 minutes with all documents finalized, don't have to wait for them to come in the mail. Got my historic vehicle license plate.
Look out Phoenix! A 60 year old rider with his 40 year old motorcycle is about to hit the streets! Woohoo! :bike:
View attachment 97359

Holy sh!t Bob - that's a century of expertise and enthusiasm!!!!

Yip yahhhhh!

Haha, thanks Pete! Tomorrow morning will be the acid test. I'm planning on taking it out of the neighborhood for the first time. A little coffee and bagel. We shall see!

Back