Thanks guys, I've been having a lot of fun, finally getting to ride it.

Pete that lake is in my neighborhood and it is quite man made! As well as about every other lake in Arizona!

Weekend Rider, that's a little too far ( by about 10 states) for my creaky old bones. My hats off to Pete for even contemplating it!

Scott, I HAVE earned that coffee, but EASY on the senior! Fella ,Haha

5Twins, thanks, that's good info. I still have yet to get my new head washers. I'll have to decide what kind of torque ratios to run. You could be on to something there though.

Went for a sunrise ride this morning. Rode about 20 miles. All systems GO! I've put about 50 miles on it since I got it licensed. Each ride a little farther than the last.
View attachment 97636
Sunday morning coming down

Bob, that is a wonderful representation of all of your perseverance and tenacity. More power to you.
I have aways to go yet with my '76C however, following your thread has kept me inspired.

"Keep Ya Knees In The Breeze"

GW

Sunday morning coming down

Bob, that is a wonderful representation of all of your perseverance and tenacity. More power to you.
I have aways to go yet with my '76C however, following your thread has kept me inspired.

"Keep Ya Knees In The Breeze"

GW

Thanks GW, and good luck with your '76.
I had a blue '76 , forty years ago. It's what inspired me to get another one.

Good news! My front brake works really well now. Just one finger and I can bring it down to a hard stop, right quick.

Bad news, now my caliper is hanging up, creating constant drag on my rotor. At first I thought, ok the new pads just need to bed in. However, I can hear the pads constantly scraping the rotor and after even a short ride the rotor is very hot to touch. I believe the caliper is hanging up.

So, today I ordered a caliper rebuild kit and hopefully I should get to that this weekend. The bummer is, this weekend, forum member DanielBlack and myself are getting together for the first time to attend a vintage bike show here in Phoenix, and as of now BOTH of our bikes are down!

We shall see. Either way Daniel and I are going, he may be on his Stella Vespa and I may be on my Suzuki V-Strom.

Mailman, hmm any chance its just your caliper not moving right or left on the greased floating pin in the rubber boot ? Bled your caliper ? I know there isn't any moisture in Arizona .. It's what happens here up north in the rain forest.. -RT

Yup - check the caliper slider bolt. Have a blast with Daniel - he's a cool guy and very talented!

I bled the whole system just a couple days ago, but it doesn't matter. I've already ordered a rebuild kit and I intend to go through the the whole thing. So I get to bleed the whole system again. Yay!

Hmmmmmm......3 XS650's within rideing distance.....Hmmmmmmm......I think the SG and I are gonna have to head north some time. I take a ride on 60E to Top of the World and Globe now and again. Superstition Mts and Lost Dutchman's mine are possible and I'm looking for more rides.

Hmmmmmm......3 XS650's within rideing distance.....Hmmmmmmm......I think the SG and I are gonna have to head north some time. I take a ride on 60E to Top of the World and Globe now and again. Superstition Mts and Lost Dutchman's mine are possible and I'm looking for more rides.

I lived in Globe for awhile when I was a young man , working for the copper mines. I used to drive through the Top of the World on a weekly basis.

IMG_4602.JPG

"I love the smell of brake fluid in the morning. It smells like Victory!"

I installed new brake pads, and while the bike stopped really well, the brakes were dragging something fierce. So much so that I could hardly push the bike around in the garage. And when I would return to my house from a short ride, the rotor would be too hot to touch.
I could also hear the pads dragging on the disc while I was riding. So, I ordered parts for a caliper rebuild.
Here we go.
First I pulled the caliper from the front fork but left the brake line attached. I wanted to use the brake fluid to push the piston out of the caliper. That piston was HARD to move. I sprayed some silicone around the piston and kept working the brake lever and after much fiddling around I was finally able to get the piston out.
IMG_4594.JPG

I then removed the brake line and took the caliper to my work bench, where I broke it down and cleaned it up with kerosene. The piston felt like it was covered with really sticky goo. And the caliper had a lot of crud and particulates in it. Here are a couple photos of what it looked like before cleaning. There were really hard deposits in the groove where the seal goes and some minor pitting.
IMG_4595.JPG

IMG_4596.JPG

I cleaned the groove that the seal resides in with a very small screwdriver and a plastic brush and kerosene. The corrosion/pitting I lightly touched up with some fine 800grit wet sand paper. Should have used 1000 grit but I used what I had.
I'm going to have that engraved on my tombstone. "Here lies Mailman, he used what he had."
But I digress, After the kerosene bath, I washed everything in hot soapy water and blew everything out with compressed air. Here are the after photos , ready to assemble.
IMG_4597.JPG

IMG_4598.JPG

The first time I bled the front brake, before I rebuilt the caliper, I had a hell of a time. My Mighty Vac wouldn't do it and I struggled to do it by hand. No wonder, my bleed screw , that did not have a cap was full of crud and corrosion and was nearly plugged. I wire wheeled all hardware , greased the pivot bolt, and applied anti seize on all the threads.
So I hooked up my Mighty Vac, filled up the master cylinder with new fluid, and this time the brakes bled in no time. Got a good feel at the lever. Everything re assembled.

IMG_4603.JPG

IMG_4599.JPG

Let's go for a ride.
I knew as soon as I dropped it down off the center stand , I knew that it was better. The bike rolled freely in the garage. Took it out and rode it for about 15 miles , stopping about every 5 miles and checking for leaks ( none) and checking to make sure the rotor wasn't too hot ( it wasn't).
I think this smells like Victory!
IMG_4600.JPG

Last edited:
What grease did you use on the pivot bolt?

Heineken brake fluid , huh, who'd a thought ? Hey, Its easier to blow the piston out with a tire pump and a "special tool" made out of a plastic oil spout.. your brake components looked similar to mine before. There you go again, Fixing things. Way to go ! -RT

What you found is typical and common on these today. ALL need both the caliper and MC disassembled and cleaned out. If you haven't done the MC yet, put that on your "to do" list. You'll most likely find even more crap in there than you did in the caliper. These are 30+ year old brake systems and most have never been touched other than a (very) occasional fluid change. If it wasn't leaking, you probably didn't even need the rebuild kit. That money would have been better spent on a stainless line. YOU DO NEED THAT.

When I got mine, I pushed it across the shop floor, pulled the front brake in the stop, and that's all she wrote, lol. It stuck solid. Flushing fresh fluid through did nothing. The teardown was required. That got it unstuck but no amount of bleeding would give a nice solid lever. It remained soft and spongy. The stainless line fixed that. I didn't need to replace and seals either. That brake has worked very, very well since then, and that was a good 10 years ago. A couple fluid changes is all it's gotten since.

After I scrape the seal groove as good and clean as I can, I usually hit it with the little wire wheel in a Dremel to finish.

Excellent - now you boys go have some fun tomorrow and I'll have your supper waiting for when you get back to the ranch.

62FDCCB9-9D78-4D86-90BF-2BFFEE446262-1571-0000019F0C256B81.jpeg

Attachments

• 62FDCCB9-9D78-4D86-90BF-2BFFEE446262-1571-0000019F0C256B81.jpeg
    62FDCCB9-9D78-4D86-90BF-2BFFEE446262-1571-0000019F0C256B81.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 105
5T, yeah the master cyl. is on my radar as well as a stainless brake line. Something I've wondered about, I like the earlier masters better, like the '76 has. All metal with the round , screw off top. Is that interchangeable with my bike?
And yeah! The Dremel! Why didn't I think of that?

Time Machine, I'd take a shot at just cleaning it up. I'm pretty sure the pitting doesn't hurt all that much. From what I know the most important component is the piston. It can't be
corroded or damaged or it won't seal. The seal hast to have a clean undamaged surface to seal against. You can still buy those pistons by the way.

Last edited:
Back