Since retirement, I haven't really felt the need to curse, unless I stumble on one of my wife's small dogs lying in an inappropriate place.

It looks s a failing indeed.
Since retirement, I haven't really felt the need to curse, unless I stumble on one of my wife's small dogs lying in an inappropriate place.

....and then you do it quietly and politely.

Well after yesterday, I needed a win. So this morning when I went out to my lair this is how my bike looked.
IMG_4084.JPG

After a couple hours, it looked like this.
IMG_4085.JPG

I installed the exhaust, gas tank, the battery, hooked up the fuel lines, the seat , side covers, right and left footrests, brake pedal, shifter lever and kick starter. So I'm sitting there looking at it and thought " There's really nothing keeping me from firing this pig up." So I put about three gallons in the tank and turn on the petcocks and the right side fills right up. The left side , not so much as a trickle. WTH? I played with it for a while and finally decided that my brand new petcock must either be assembled wrong or has an internal blockage. So I pulled the tank and drained the gas again and took the petcock off and disassembled it , saw nothing wrong, blew compressed air through all the openings , re assembled it, re installed it and filled the tank back up and when I tried them again they worked fine. I have no clue why one didn't work the first time unless there was an air bubble that wouldn't move. So now I have gas in the carbs I turned the key on and hit the starter button. The starter sounded like someone dropped a spoon in the garbage disposal, but it fired right up! Woohoo! It's funny my wife told me she had a dream last night that I fired the bike up today!
Eighty one days since I bought this bike and I had never heard it run!
IMG_4089.JPG

It still needs a lot of work. I haven't done any tuning yet. The valves, cam chain, timing all need to be set. The starter needs to be fixed, steering head bearings, swing arm bushings, a Pamco ignition will be installed. And yada yada yada...
But I however am going to take this as a win!
Until next time,
Bob
IMG_4093.JPG

Well after yesterday, I needed a win. So this morning when I went out to my lair this is how my bike looked.
View attachment 94041
After a couple hours, it looked like this.
View attachment 94042
I installed the exhaust, gas tank, the battery, hooked up the fuel lines, the seat , side covers, right and left footrests, brake pedal, shifter lever and kick starter. So I'm sitting there looking at it and thought " There's really nothing keeping me from firing this pig up." So I put about three gallons in the tank and turn on the petcocks and the right side fills right up. The left side , not so much as a trickle. WTH? I played with it for a while and finally decided that my brand new petcock must either be assembled wrong or has an internal blockage. So I pulled the tank and drained the gas again and took the petcock off and disassembled it , saw nothing wrong, blew compressed air through all the openings , re assembled it, re installed it and filled the tank back up and when I tried them again they worked fine. I have no clue why one didn't work the first time unless there was an air bubble that wouldn't move. So now I have gas in the carbs I turned the key on and hit the starter button. The starter sounded like someone dropped a spoon in the garbage disposal, but it fired right up! Woohoo! It's funny my wife told me she had a dream last night that I fired the bike up today!
Eighty one days since I bought this bike and I had never heard it run!
View attachment 94045
It still needs a lot of work. I haven't done any tuning yet. The valves, cam chain, timing all need to be set. The starter needs to be fixed, steering head bearings, swing arm bushings, a Pamco ignition will be installed. And yada yada yada...
But I however am going to take this as a win!
Until next time,
Bob
View attachment 94047

Great story. Those wheels are SHINY, so what's your wheel cleaning solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice win Mailman - you've worked really and it has paid off with a really pretty bike that starts right up! Yeeee...haaaaa!!!

BTW - your description of the melodious sound of an XS650 starter (a spoon dropped into a garbage disposal) - made me laugh right out loud.

Pete

Last edited:
You have a beautiful bike there and you've come far enough along now that there's absolutely no reason you can't "ride and wrench" from here on. All the things you've mentioned need doing but you can just chip away at them now one at a time. Well, you might want to run through the tune-up items right away, but the rest aren't really pressing. Besides, actually riding the thing will really show you just how bad the steering bearings and swingarm bushings are. They may not be perfect but they may not be totally shot yet either.

Good to hear it started right up........................its a fine looking bike:cheers:
You'll have to squeeze that starter spring.....................they need that 6 lbs of drag.

I changed out my stock steering bearings for the All Balls tapered roller bearings. I'd like to say that I noticed a big change, but truthfully the steering and handling seemed about the same to me. However, the original ball bearings were dry, so it was worthwhile to do the swap

I'm still using the original stock swing arm bushings. I can't detect any free play in the swing arm, so I keep on using it.

Last edited:
Great recovery Bob and a wonderful photo - a bike, a beer and a very happy boy. Lovely looking motorcycle; a credit to your patience and skill. Enjoy mate!!

Yesterday I talked about starting my bike up, and I was delighted it fired right off, but there was an issue that I didn't discuss. First off I will reiterate I have not done any tuning, nothing but fresh spark plugs. I wasn't expecting it to run great, it really was just a " let's see if this thing runs" moment.
When I started it, I depressed the choke ( enrichener) lever, hit the button and it immediately started and the engine raced up to 3,000 rpm, I immediately turned the choke off and backed the idle screw completely off until it didn't even touch and the rpm's slowly came back down . The idle would not come down below 1500 rpm. If I gave the throttle even the slightest twist , the rpm would
quickly climb back up to 3,000 , hover there a few seconds and slowly come back down.
I need to pour through the tech section, but if anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Thanks Bob

I know it seems simplistic but I had a similar experience and it turned to be a restriction in the throttle cable. It wasn't properly routed in the steering head area and under the tank.

Check to be sure that the throttle is truly closed when you hand is off the handlebars. Also check that the idle speed does NOT change when you swing the handlebars from lock to lock.

Pete

Well, it could be a few different things, working alone or together. If the idle speed won't come down any lower even with the idle speed screw backed out so it's not touching, that usually indicates the carbs are out of sync. The butterfly plates are not open the same amount. When you back the screw out, one plate closes but the other more open one stays that way, partially open. Idle speed will only drop as low as that open plate will allow.

The other thing is your advance unit and advance rod. They may be sticking and need a cleaning/lube. If the ignition is sticking in the advanced position, the RPMs will hang high. I don't recall if you mentioned servicing this stuff.

Yeah that's a good thought , in the last few weeks I've had all those cables loose and the handlebars off a few times, it may not be routed properly. I'll denifinately give it a look. Probably next weekend. Darned old work gets in the way.
Thanks

:agree: whut 5t sez. Start there for sure. Were floats leak tested? New float valves? I pretty much put in new floats and valves now, the brass work hardens and cracks over the years, leaks are just a matter of time. Bikes too pretty to fuggle around tuning gotchas!!

Thanks 5 Twins, I have not touched the advance unit yet, I have new points to install and planned to give everything a good clean and lube then.
Re: the carbs, I need to get some vacuum nipples ordered and installed on my carbs and get a (forgot the name) homemade balancing tool made. So I can sync them.
The carbs were only bench synced as good as I could eyeball them.
I will check all of this. I was worried this indicated some sort of a vacuum/ diaphragm issue. $$$
Haha, thanks Bob

Back