My '80 xs650 engine rebuild

Yes, I always centerstand my bikes while kick starting them. Side stand kick starting is awkward at best and sometimes the bike floods because of the carb angles. Kick starting with no stand is, well, you found out, lol.

Kicking may a bit more stable if you leave it on the center stand.

under the 'i was being dumb' category, by the time I'd dumped it over 2 times and thought to do that, I didn't have the strength, and that's how I dumped it the 3rd time. I blame it on being like 2" too short :)

The starter on mine never worked and had no problem being a kick only bike. I center stand mine all the time except when I'm fueling up. By that point the engine was nice and warm so one kick on the side stand was fine.

Very inspirational thread. I am just like you and have never done an overhaul. All my parts, gaskets, etc. are inventoried and I'm going to be starting my top end overhaul shortly.

steve.... breathe.... it will all work out, im racing around trying to fix what blew off my paint racks in the wind...

I have a kick only (no starter motor) Wiseco-pistoned motor which has honed my kick starting skills. The key is to have the major resistence be near the bottom of the kick starter stroke. I've found that if I pull in the clutch and position the kick pedal about level with the pegs or a bit below I don't have those dramatic moments when the pistons win their argument with my foot. The position will vary depending on how long your legs are, but the angle of your calf/thigh needs to approach 45 degrees at the top of the stroke.

Having things in proper tune is a given; if your bike doesn't normally start on the first kick when warm and on the first or second when cold you need to sort it out.

I just checked it. That appears to be the bike that belonged to -jwk-. I don't know a machine better documented on the internet than that one. I've been following it for many years!

do you have a link?

JWK was a member of the email group yam650@micapeak.com. He's probably still in the archives. He also had documentation and pictures at 650motorcycles.com. That site appears to have changed hands since then. I can't be sure right now, but it's possible that my home computer could still have some stuff saved about it.

Man alive!!!:thumbsup: :bike: :yikes: I love this post I just bought a 1980 hardtail and my itch to rebuild her is insane!!! Thank you from a neighbor to the south of our state

ok, after some great football, I set out again. Oil leak was my first task. Wasn't hard to figure out what I'd done:

full

you'll notice a noticeably missing oil seal on the right cam bearing.

full

All buttoned up. All mounts torqued. Retorqued all the head bolts (although they were pretty much where they were supposed to be. Got the clutch adjusted and zoomed up and down my street and around the block a few times.

Noticed just a tiny slow leak at the bottom of the RHC:

full

Bolt isn't loose. I thought it was clean when I put it on and that's a new gasket.

Not a huge deal because I still have to pull it off to get the starter clip spring tightened (until then, I'm a kickstartin' fool).

But for now... my bike works!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::bike:

Amazing the difference a day makes.

had a GREAT ride this afternoon. First went to down to the SE Napa to show the shop guys (Casey and Gary) the engine now that it's together and working. They were great! Came outside, looked it over (noticed the oil leak :eek:) and were genuinely happy that I took the time to come down and show them the final product.

Then I rode up to the top of Rocky Butte. Elevation 612' (Portland is generally at 50') to test out the clutch on big hills. All good! Fugly skyline because of all the forest fires going on:

full

what an awesome feeling to think I put this thing together. I think the leak is in the RHC so I guess I'll be needing that gasket when I go after the starter clip spring when I change the oil next. Thanks for the support, xs650 forum!!:bike:

"chasing the threads, is done using a tap and die, to make sure all threads are clean and straight. or by using the less aggressive thread chaser (actual tool)

I love this thread, and have subscribed. I hope to do a roller setup like that soon. I may just have to use my dads though. He set two ibeams into concrete, then put a cross bar over it. I could probably lift my truck on it. Or if i get a bigger garage, When i was in class, we had one that went all around the shop

I'm chiming in late here but somehow in all the reading I do on this forum I have never before read this thread. It's inspiring, informative and generally fantastic. For those of us who have yet to undertake this challenge and have some apprehension about doing so, you have perfectly demonstrated that with the right attitude and perseverance it can be done.
Thank you for all the lessons in this thread. Awesome.:thumbsup:
Yamimoto

This thread inspired me to join the forum, so it's only befitting that my first post go here. Thank you, sseres...

Just picked up a 1980 XS650(my first) a week ago. Never even seen one in person until then, but man I love the look of the engine. It just looks, mechanical(if that makes sense). It's going to make a nice bobber build. I guess it's time for me to find a second engine to do some wrench turnin' on. Thanks again, sseres, for the inspiration.

Back