My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

Funny you should say that about the rear sprocket. I have a 30 tooth sprock in my basket at mikes. Yeah the Pma is nice bc I really wanted to eliminate all the junk under the seat and have it wide open. The engine, frame, wheels and me only will be riding really. Riggs experimentation is awesome. He's always (pun intended) Rigging something up.

Oh, but it is.... I've had it running already and will again once I get it all back together again. Not the best camera work though. I used my DSLR camera and you have to manually focus.

Oh yeah... Also I pulled the trigger and ordered a 21" front rim and new spokes for the front and back.
12-0009
Stop Switch - Rear
22-3600
Sprocket - Steel 30T x 530 Rear
35-0109
Spoke Wrench Set (2pc.)
49-0719
Axel Nut - Rear - 18mm x 1.25
34-1803
WM1.85 x 21x 36 hole Alloy Rim (39)
35-3021
300 x 21" Inner Tube - TR4 Stem
35-2021
Wheel Rim Band 21"x1"
19-0058
Stainless Steel Spoke Set
19-0062
Stainless Steel Spoke Set

It's hard to tell how loud on the vid. Cool, did you say that they make 23"?! I wouldn't go that way! That sound like when they put a 300 on the rear of these new chops. Reminds me of getto rims. When they put a nice set of 20" on a old caprice it looked tight. Now they look like some circus clowns coming down the road with like 30's. Like low riders looked good with some spokes, then they started getting extream and stuck them out 10 inches. If you go too extream it looks retarded to me.

Yeah, I was contemplating the 23, but then I realized that the 23 was almost impossible to find tires for it other than offroad tires. I know that I like the 21" though. Just look up the wizard sleeze by ardcore. That front is 21" and it looks sick. So I pulled the trigger anyhow and bought the 21" rim for whenever it's time for new tires.

Not sure yet. I'm flipping back and forth from simple new to the oldschool ribbed. Definitely no white wall. Although I like it. Just overdone. I actually like the tires on it right now. If I found a 21" replacement for the front I might just keep em like that.

I'm also thinking about testing out a 140 on the rear. I wanna know if I could get away with a slightly wider tire on the rear. I'm definitely looking forward to putting the 21" on the front though. If you want to see the 23" front go here and here

Last edited:
Is that front tire on the right direction right now? It seem like the tread is backwards. I just ran my tank and rear fender/swing arm over to paint for Black No1 apoxy and clearcoat. I'll finaly be able to move it outside and get some real pics in a week or so. Oh yeah, I like your fuel gauge!

Yeah..... Some really expensive drs told me that the mixture of high IQ (I know right?), ADD and OCD have doomed me to a life of inconsistency... So yeah schizophrenia!!

Posted via Mobile

Is that front tire on the right direction right now? It seem like the tread is backwards. I just ran my tank and rear fender/swing arm over to paint for Black No1 apoxy and clearcoat. I'll finaly be able to move it outside and get some real pics in a week or so. Oh yeah, I like your fuel gauge!

believe it or not most front tires look "backwards" something to do with turning and/or water dispersal. Someone that knows more about it can explain it. I asked the same question when I was a kid once. The old guy just told me to check the little "rotation this way" on the side of the tires. Thanks I figured that way if I ever decide to pitch the speedo it's easier to keep track of my gas!
Ps don't forget to post em up when you get em back
Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Must be bikes wick the water to the middle for some reason. Mabe they like the spray condenced right in the face (I guess most "normal" people like those fender thingys). I don't ride in the rain so I never paid attention.

Where I got my tank:

Ebay

Their Website

Their Myspace

Feel free to reference me if you do buy something from them :D I am thinking of buying some stuff from them for my next build and even if they don't give me a discount I sure would like some recognition :bike:

BTW they might be somehow associated with TCbros since they are both in Defiance, OH and that's not really a very big town....

Anyone have any good source for a valve cover o-ring? Like something maybe meant for something else? other than ordering them from Mikes. $3 order plus $12 shipping just isn't cool.

Last edited:
Anyone have any good source for a valve cover o-ring? Like something maybe meant for something else? other than ordering them from Mikes. $3 order plus $12 shipping just isn't cool.

- 2.3mm x 45mm...try a bearing and seal supplier

Back