My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

Anyone have any good source for a valve cover o-ring? Like something maybe meant for something else? other than ordering them from Mikes. $3 order plus $12 shipping just isn't cool.

I know I wrote for a pushrod seal and asked for first class mail ($2 tops) They said that they only use UPS for tracking. They don't know it is 15 cents for tracking USPS. They act pissed if you ask them questions too. I sware they used to be a Harley parts store. It's cool they have a lot of parts, but thier customer service SUCKS. I wan't to return unopend parts (just $60 from a $250 order) And they were pissed about that even though I said I had no problem paying the restocking fee. I spent over $1,000 with them in last couple of months too, and said that doesn't matter. I know why they don't have a phone number. They are some ass holes.

clean simple scoot. Wonder what ti sounds like wide open..lol. I'm just about to start mine up. Like to see your cx500...i'm building one into a trike for my girl. got it as a basket case for 200$

Haha it's definitely a special case bike for me. It runs fine kind of lol. Then again I got it for $300. It needs new plug wires and the plug wires are attached to the coil and it'll be a PITA. I'm gonna sell it to my brother anyhow so I'm not going to do anything to it for now. It's in IL right now anyway.

BTW here's a pic of my cx500
16269101001541899390048.jpg

It was on page 4. :bike:

Ahh!! I went totally simple. With only the ignition and coil with a switch and fuse tied onto a battery and still nothing. New Pamco... So you'd think it'd be the coil right? Well Swapped out to the stock coil... Nothing. Maybe the switch? God I hope so... Any way to test the coil to tell if it's working without doing the "spark" test. As I'm terrified that if it does work I could fry the coil by doing the test.

- doing these tests will give you an idea of general condition but not if there are intermittent faults or faults associated with temp differentials

figure.gif

Ok well I guess it's time to get an ohm meter tomorrow or see if my local shop will test it for me.. I have had this running before and totally lost on what went wrong...

Alright well after talking to Pete on the phone. Figured out that the Pamcos that I thought I fried... I had not. Makes me feel a little more confident in my wiring abilities. He said that the first failure was not my fault and the other 2 that I thought I had fried were working and fine. SO now I have to figure this $h!t out. I got it started back up today, but now it's just running like crap. I have wired it like 10 times now... so I think I'm pretty burnt at this point on doing it myself. So we'll see..

Alright so looking at the spark plugs coming out and being replaced. The plugs are Black as black can be. I put new ones in, but still not getting it started back up. On the right side carb it seems like it's shooting gas back out towards the filter and it smells flooded.... WTH

Alright so looking at the spark plugs coming out and being replaced. The plugs are Black as black can be. I put new ones in, but still not getting it started back up. On the right side carb it seems like it's shooting gas back out towards the filter and it smells flooded.... WTH

maybe your choke circuit is faulty and allowing extra fuel to flow in. I had that prob with a 79, which used diff. carbs though. (38's vs 34's on 80 and later). But I think the choke part is similar. The choke only works on the right side even, maybe? Anyway it is located on the right side of right carb. If the components/seal of that part of the carb are "incontinent" it'll constantly dribble gas into your bike.
I never could figure out what was up with the 38's even after rebuilding the choke area, as well as the rest of the carbs. I ended up thinking maybe they had a crack in the casting or something. Same symptom though, super-rich on one side. Eventually I cured the situation by popping the carbs that originally belonged on this chopper 80 I have onto the 79. Was fine afterwards.

maybe your choke circuit is faulty and allowing extra fuel to flow in. I had that prob with a 79, which used diff. carbs though. (38's vs 34's on 80 and later). But I think the choke part is similar. The choke only works on the right side even, maybe? Anyway it is located on the right side of right carb. If the components/seal of that part of the carb are "incontinent" it'll constantly dribble gas into your bike.
I never could figure out what was up with the 38's even after rebuilding the choke area, as well as the rest of the carbs. I ended up thinking maybe they had a crack in the casting or something. Same symptom though, super-rich on one side. Eventually I cured the situation by popping the carbs that originally belonged on this chopper 80 I have onto the 79. Was fine afterwards.

Thanks Emz, but I'm running dellortos... So I'm sure it's not like yours at all..

Well I got the stock carbs on and it was running for a lil while. I think I like the sound the stock carbs give it compared to the dellortos anyhow.. So they MAY end up in he classifieds.

Last edited:
Did you get the 2-1 throttle cable from mikesxs? How long is it? I got a set of VM34s coming because I can't get the mix right at idle for the stock BS34 (now I know why they are BS). I just want to make sure the cables they have are long enough for my bars. I'm tierd of taking off the damn intakes to get the carbs out to jet too. Pain in the ass!!!

Did you get the 2-1 throttle cable from mikesxs? How long is it? I got a set of VM34s coming because I can't get the mix right at idle for the stock BS34 (now I know why they are BS). I just want to make sure the cables they have are long enough for my bars. I'm tierd of taking off the damn intakes to get the carbs out to jet too. Pain in the ass!!!

In essence yeah I did get it from MikesXs, but it came with the dellorto carbs. If you can wait till Tuesday I will let you know how long it is. It's at a local guy's house - as everyone knows I needed help with the wiring so we're taking it slow on building the harness..

I was going to order from him tonight. Did it seem to have some extra slack with your setup? I have beach bars, but not too extream. Maybe 4 inches longer than yours.

I was going to order from him tonight. Did it seem to have some extra slack with your setup? I have beach bars, but not too extream. Maybe 4 inches longer than yours.

Plenty of slack man. At least for mine. I'm actually contemplating switching to 15" apes... More of my builder schizophrenia...

You ever figure out your kickstand?

I did. I had just been so damned busy with finals and work that I haven't really been on here, but for a couple min at a time.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 131
Back