My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

Hey take a pic of the whole bike so I can see the angle is sits at. That's the same place I'm welding mine on:thumbsup: Was a little worried it was too far back. But since you did it, and it worked, I'm filled with confidence.:D

photopvj.jpg

Sorry Bass I forgot to measure the Dellorto line. Good news though!! Got it up and running tail light and head light. Batteryless!! I have it at a guy's bike shop I know and today I spent a few hours going over every inch of the wiring to test and figure the crap out. Everything wasn't completely grounding out. In appreciation of sending him some business he's finishing the wiring up for me and cleaning it all up for a decent price. So it should be out the door in a week he said. He's shutting down his shop location and is going back to having bikes as a hobby. He said he's beginning to hate them at this point.

Dlab, I'm sorry man I just realized why you wanted the pic to see the angle it's leaning at. I will have to get another pic for you then. I'll shoot it from behind whenever I go up there to put the side cover on and the other misc stuff. Also shoot some pics of yours and did you decide on what kick stand to use?

Yeah, I'm tacking most things in place now, but I'm going to get that little battery now. So I'm rethinking how everything is going on the bike. Don't need the a big batt/electric box anymore. I have to figure out how to hide the fusebox, boyer box, and a couple little things. Want it to look as clean and simple as possible. Might run the reg/rec up by the horn mount, not sure. Still looking for a clean looking brake pivot. Thinking about going with Two Wheel Mafia's.

Yeah, see I'm running no battery so I don't have a wiring box or battery box anyway :-D
I have my reg/rect mounted up right to seat post. I guess where the stock one goes b/c it mounted right up.

I think I figures out the stock carbs, the one I can't get to stop popping back needs a pilot screw. You were having trouble with you electronic ignition right? If you have any more it may be the batteyless setup and the idle surges. I tried the led tail light with like a dozen leds and it fried half of them in a couple seconds of idleing. So I know it's hell on some electronic stuff. I've been riding mine so far with no ignition trouble, but it's points. It runs awesome, but when you idle it will pop the left carb sometimes and stall. I'll get some pics on here soon.

Alright Dlab, I will get a pic of the lean posted up later. I will see my bike tonight at around 5 then I have crossfit at 7 so after that I'll put up a pic of the "lean"

And Finally it is here... I'm going to shorten the brake and shift bars coming from the shift shaft and brake pivot. Also I need to remove the original side stand. I'm still flipping back and forth from Apes. What can I say I like the bugs in the pits!! :laugh:

dsc0002a.jpg

dsc0003a.jpg

dsc0004a.jpg

dsc0005a.jpg

dsc0006a.jpg

dsc0007a.jpg

dsc0008a.jpg

Last edited:
Maiden voyage was tonight. Went up to where my g/f works. It's about 5-6mi each way. Everything was great. The only thing I'm thinking is that it was running hot. Mean it's going lean?

Hey Jimmy. We're running the same tires. I'm always getting asked why I put my front tire on backwards. Lol

Looking good!

Last edited:
Nice. They came with the bike. Ppl don't have a clue!

So after the maiden voyage last night everything seemed fine. Today I took it out and rode around 30 miles round trip and realized I was leaking a decent amount of oil. Looking around I found a hairline crack in my oil tube coming up the front... :banghead: so I'm down for a bit again. I wanted to be able to ride this weekend, but I guess that's just too much to ask for. I'm going out of town next week so I won't be here to mess with it! I'll get the part ordered and I'll have it here waiting for whenever I get back at least.

I actually just put an order in. I had some other things that I wanted/needed to order including filters. I also went ahead and pulled the trigger on the sump filter to replace it. I plan on pulling it out whenever I change the oil when I get back. I sure do appreciate it though. You never know you might just need it. This whole time I have had the bike I didn't notice mine had a crack in it. Yours might too! :laugh:

Sorry if it does. I'm gonna feel like I jinxed you if so....

Oh oh oh. Think I also have a trade going on for an extra one WronkaToys might have (he lives in the same town). So I may be back on the road tonight/tomorrow!

Looks tough man! If you want a vote, I vote for apes, I'm putting them back on my bike. If your timing is a little retarded it will run hot. How'de the plugs look? If they have some color you should be good on the mix.

Back