My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

If you ever want a custom dropseat let me know I go through Elswick and I can get you a custom drop seat to your specs and get it a lil cheaper :thumbsup: On the rims I think you should powder coat them black with polished hubs and spokes and as far as the motor I think the second one looks good but I would have only polished the head portion of the fins and left the lower jugs all black also go with the polished head bolts I think it will tie your motor all together but hey that just my two cents :shrug:.
It looks great!

Actually I like the old Yami wheel style, good enough for now.I have 4 other yami's
as for the drop seat I am fabbing up a tail section for that already, for the next project. I really like what you got in mind for the Hooligan, should look nice!:thumbsup:

Looks good with the fins highlighted and i think the oil filter cooler would look good black with the fins highlighted as well. Some pics of wheels,spokes and hubs that have been painted black with the outer rims polished..could go nicely with your set up

Attachments

• 134 Silver-Black.jpg
    134 Silver-Black.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 191
  • 135 Silver-Black.jpg
    135 Silver-Black.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 137 Silver-Black.jpg
    137 Silver-Black.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 145
Anyone have any pics of a heritage special 21" 64 spoke front wheel? With the lower front end I'm thinking about doing a front wheel upgrade. Or even a 36 hole. I will turn out the hub flanges in the middle if I can find someone with a lathe or maybe some kind soul on here would do it for me :laugh:.

- well, the parts for a 21 x 1.85 x 64 are available, but i havent seen a completed one yet...what would you run for a tyre?

Actually I think I'm just going to stick with the 36 hole 21" I found some pics of the 64 and I don't like the way they look. They're all cross laced. I like the regular lace up look. For a tire I just figured I'd use a 100/90-21" tire...

This is all of course if I decide to swap out the front tire.

Last edited:
- if youve still got the pics at your fingertips, how about posting them :thumbsup:

- the heritages always did look over-cross-laced imho

Yeah, I just like the thicker straight lace look better I realized after seeing that. I'm still contemplating the 21" wheel upgrade though. I may hold off till I need new tires though bc these are in pretty good shape as is

Lookin good! Let me know how the electrical pans out, just want to make sure I cover all bases befor the test run. I'll be getting the frame back from paint next week and the wheels from powder coat. I'll have to post some pics at that stage. All I got left to mod is the rear fender on the swing arm when I get the tires on. Then the tank, swinger and fender off to paint.

Bass that's not my bike. It's just an example of the 64 spoke rims that we were talking about.

I was talkin for yer bike. I like that spoke pattern. Can you get the twisted spokes for XS rims or do you have to go Harley? I want the next bike to have a lot of twisted chrome, kinda el loco, from my KORN roots. My first project here has mags, next one will have spokes. I was going to build one for my wife too, but she'll prolly get the one now with a few changes.

Or I could just go on the lookout for a 23" wheel from an XL500. Those are 36 hole too. The only thing I'm not too sure about with the 23" wheel is the width is 1.60 and I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. Not to mention I don't know what I would use for a tire on the 23" rim. If I do I'll probably change the wheels when I need new tires, but until then I still need to decide on whether I want to powdercoat the rims and hubs or polish them up.

I just don't want to spend the extra time and effort polishing it all up and then end up powdercoating it. Or spend the extra money to powdercoat it all and end up wanting to polish it! Ah damnit I feel like a woman picking out an outfit for a first date. :banghead:

Last edited:
Or I could just go on the lookout for a 23" wheel from an XL500. Those are 36 hole too. The only thing I'm not too sure about with the 23" wheel is the width is 1.60 and I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. Not to mention I don't know what I would use for a tire on the 23" rim. If I do I'll probably change the wheels when I need new tires, but until then I still need to decide on whether I want to powdercoat the rims and hubs or polish them up.

I just don't want to spend the extra time and effort polishing it all up and then end up powdercoating it. Or spend the extra money to powdercoat it all and end up wanting to polish it! Ah damnit I feel like a woman picking out an outfit for a first date. :banghead:

I'd polish. Gives it more of a old machine look as it ages with just cleaning. Kinda like and old knucklehead. imo.

I'm kinda likin the look of some of the new choppers with a 21" front and rear with matched tires. Check out the link, think it's a old Royal Enfield motor.

http://www.kalamazooswap.com/

I'm debating on that when I switch look one day. I want the cross laced twisted spokes though. I guess we will be getting the wife a XS400 since I found out you still can get all the engine parts.

Bass, if you like the cross laced look you should definitely look for some heritage special wheels for your bike. I think I'm just going to polish everything for now. And whenever I need new tires I'll rethink it all again. I really want to do the 23" front, but it seems like really my only viable option for a tire would be a dirtbike tire. There's only one other option for tires with the 23" out there that I can find; So it'll probably easier if I just go with the 21" front. I am gonna leave it polished for now and sit on how I feel about powdercoating in the future.

Also if you like the same size front and back 21" wheel. You could also do a disc rear with omars conversion. That'd be sweet.

Back