My build thread - 72 XS650

72XS2

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I finally decide to begin the restoration of my 72 XS650. It will take time, I'm waiting for a surgery that will be done before June. They said that they will call me between 1 to 3 months. I'm also planning to buy a V-Star 1100 this summer and convert it into a bobber.

Until now, I removed the front fender but put back the front wheel to use the centerstand. I will have to build a work table. Also removed the seat, tank, side covers, air boxes and all that stuff, the rear wheel and found out that the swingarm is very loose. I wanted to install bronze bushings anyway. Today, I plan to remove all parts around the engine.

I will take pics this afternoon.

Last edited:
Day 03 - So far so good ...

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

I also took the time to repair the broken glass of my tach yesterday. Now it looks like new !

IMG_2771.jpg

Last edited:
Day 07

The "demolition" continues. :laugh: I pass most of the afternoon to tag the wires (those in the headlight compartment) to be sure that I will reconnect everything correctly. As you can see on the pics, there's not much parts to remove. I plan to continue working on it tonight so I think it will be done in a day or two.

IMG_2787.jpg

Is this the pictures before or after? it looks spotless now.

These are "before" pictures. I want to inspect every part on the bike. It didn't run since 1985 so it needs a little attention, just a very good tune-up for an old bike who deserve it (in my opinion :thumbsup:). Frame needs new paint (or powder), maybe tank and side covers later. I need another rear fender too. I'm going to put new pictures throughout the rebuild.

Day 08

I finish to remove parts this afternoon. Still need to disaasemble the front end and to clean the mess in the shop. It looks not too bad on the picture but my workbench is full of parts. I'm sure that everyody have already seen a frame before but ...

Day08-07.jpg

The rebuild continues slowly.

I didn't go in my shop for about two weeks but I spent some time there since last week. I finish to clean and inspect the parts. I know now which parts I need to replace and order. I begin to inspect the engine today. I removed the clutch completely and found that it has already been removed but it was not reinstalled the right way. Except this thing, this bike is in very good condition. No stuck or "hard to remove" nuts and bolts, everything goes very easily. I also begin to polish parts and find out that I hate it :) . Here's some pics, nothing very exciting but that's it for now.

1. Bunch of parts after the "demolition".
Day10-03.jpg

2. Here's two pics (before and after) of my rear brake hub.
Day37-02.jpg

3. Honestly, it looks a little better on this pic but that's about it.
Day37-05.jpg

I didn't work a lot on my bike since my last post. I still need find a place for the powdercoat for my frame, nobody does it around here. I continued to polish the two side covers of the engine. They're not perfect but good enough for me. Like I said in another post, I was waiting for a surgery (it's gonna be done next tuesday :D) that it was going to be done soon so I didn't order any parts. I will do my parts list after the surgery when I will fell good. Anyway, I won't be able to work on my bike for a couple of weeks.

Here's some "little" progress. Due to my surgery, I didn't work a lot on my bike. Now, I'm ok so I continued to polish aluminium parts. Still need to order parts and send the frame to the powdercoat, I'm just waiting to have the money for it. I polished both side covers on the engine, valve covers, breather cover and front forks. I started to sand them with 320, 600, 1000, 1500 and finally 2000, always with water. Then I polish them with brown then red polishing compound. I finish with Mother's aluminium polish. I don't know if it's the right way to do it but the finish is really good. Here's a couple of pics. I wish to do real progress on it soon.

1- Engine
XS2_11.jpg

2- Oil dipstick
XS2_12.jpg

3- Valve and breather covers
XS2_13.jpg

4- Valve and decompressor covers
XS2_14.jpg

5- Front fork (before)
XS2_16.jpg

6- Front fork (after)
XS2_17.jpg

Aluminum is lookin good! I always wet sanded with WD or PB then do the 1000 and 2000 with metal polish. Then polish by hand once and I can almost get away without even putting a machine on it! Man what a pain tho! So you goin with full resto, or just cleanin her up like new??

what a great job your doing. thats a lot of work, to polish all those parts like that.
that bike looked like a winner to start with.by the time you're finished it will be amazing.
GREAT JOB!! KEEP POSTING THE PICS TOO!!

Back