My electrical nightmare

Birdy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My new bike that was messed with by the previous owner in all the wrong ways. Tci was fried and none of the lights work but I’ll sort that out soon.

Also why is my XS650 the only one I can find with the twist wheels?

Attachments

• FBB3A616-53B0-4D87-9184-468C51F9A2D6.jpeg
    FBB3A616-53B0-4D87-9184-468C51F9A2D6.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 175
I know a guy who put those wheels on a mid 60's BSA..... yeah, I would slap him..but, stuff.. splatters…

wheels are from a Maxim, I believe. Lights might be a fuse. It's a starting point.
I was missing a few key components and some were just so old they just failed. I’m an electrical technician so it’s all stuff I know how to do just waiting for parts to arrive. I replaced the fuse panel with a blade style and got the nuetral light to come on so I have that going for me. The light control was very dirty so I’m breaking that down to clean all the contacts. I still don’t have the gauge cluster lights working yet but I’m assuming I need a new ground wire .

Step one of troubleshooting lights, check the bulbs
Well looky there

Attachments

• 1A24F7B0-47E8-447A-AEF4-E4D59FC8A137.jpeg
    1A24F7B0-47E8-447A-AEF4-E4D59FC8A137.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 166
I had to get my he around the Japanese way of using Neutral Grounds for switching some things. As an ET you will be sweet!

My electronic ignition should be coming in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully I can knock most of it out tomorrow and actually get this thing to fire up.

Your later model has a couple additional safety relays added that can cause issues. There is a switch at the clutch lever that runs to a relay that cuts power to the starter if the bike isn't in neutral or the clutch lever isn't pulled in if in gear. There's also a switch on the sidestand. This one in particular has been known to go bad. It kills the spark when the bike is put in gear with the sidestand down. Due to it's location beneath the countershaft sprocket area, it leads a tough life. It's usually covered and soaked in oil and grease from that area above it. You said your TCI was fried but it could of just been that switch gone bad. I think it's best to remove it. All you have to do is remove it and the relay it connects to, no wire jumping is required. The relay and switch connection are under the left side cover, in the upper right area .....

Sp7Ct9O.jpg

6a0usoz.jpg

Anybody know if they sell just the light selector switch, spent an hour cleaning the contacts just to have the switch turn to dust

Attachments

• 21B98A5D-B48A-4BBA-B075-C10CF618EB41.jpeg
    21B98A5D-B48A-4BBA-B075-C10CF618EB41.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 153
Back