My first XS650

1" closed cell neoprene. I found a local foam supplier here in OKC and he had a 2 x 4 ft piece if scrap. I dont remember how much I paid him, if you go back to where I start talking abt the seat, I might've mentioned it there. I dont remember.

I figure I'm due for an update so here goes.

I figured out my RPM issues, my damn throttle cable housing was too long and it was holding my throttle plates open abt half way.:doh::doh::doh: I don't know how I missed it, what a newb mistake.

Once that was taken care of I took the bike to a small shop called Wedman's Motorsports to have them take a look at my charging issue. Chris Wedman is the man, super good guy and they can do just abt anything in house. They do machinework there as well, Chris made my wheelspacers a while back and integrated a sleeve into them to adapt my 17mm axle to harley wheel bearings out front. It turned out I had my wiring a lil goofy, not getting power to the coils or something he said. Other than that, all my wiring was good.

Speak of the devil.. I got the recent issue of The Horse in the mail and saw something that looked a little familiar...
-8F65-4622-9138-8288F7A21CD6-2098-0000035455C0D7C4.jpg

You can see in the pics that that he used a bit of pipe to let the valves slide up and down in, not the valve guides like we talked about. Pretty loose fit..

Bike is running, not perfectly tuned but getting there, bottom end is a lil muddy but it ran pretty good when we shot this:

What do you guys think? Sorry, no seat cover yet.

-A0BA-413B-85B7-4AEAD0DB64C5-2098-000003546674DB96.jpg

-C6A3-4589-AEFF-C7550192645F-2098-000003546A383CEC.jpg

Just finished getting my M endorsement this weekend and got my insurance taken care of just now. Should be on the road by the end of the week if all goes well. I couldn't be more stoked. Hopefully there will be some bearable weather.:bike:

My first thought was that the "feet" on the bottom of the seat were just sitting on the valve faces so when the seat moved the "feet" would just slide on the faces, keeping contact but allowing for travel.

Hey Rexxis.... thought you had forgotten about us.... lol
Good to see you have been spending your time wizely.... on the bike!
Its looking sharp... real sharp. I appreciate the update on the seat springs too... why not a sloppy fit and all is well.... do you have any way of blowing up the shot of just the seat bit. I need a closer look.
Keep the progress rolling!

Hey guys! First post ever. I'm about to buy a 1979 Special for $1500. It has 7000 miles on it and looks sweet. Even though its a well cared for bike, what should I look for when buying a used XS650? After I buy it, what kind of maintenance do I need to do in the next 3,000 miles? I have never owned an XS or even a Yamaha but I have always admired their shape and engine configuration. TWINSRULE! I noticed that there is a huge community and a vast supply of parts supporting enthusiasts such as yourselves. Furthermore, what can I do with a special? Can I get a clean, straight angle if I hardtail it? What kind of hardtail should I use? Lost of questions and I know you guys have the answers.

Thanks a bunch!

Hey guys! First post ever. I'm about to buy a 1979 Special for $1500. It has 7000 miles on it and looks sweet. Even though its a well cared for bike, what should I look for when buying a used XS650? After I buy it, what kind of maintenance do I need to do in the next 3,000 miles? I have never owned an XS or even a Yamaha but I have always admired their shape and engine configuration. TWINSRULE! I noticed that there is a huge community and a vast supply of parts supporting enthusiasts such as yourselves. Furthermore, what can I do with a special? Can I get a clean, straight angle if I hardtail it? What kind of hardtail should I use? Lost of questions and I know you guys have the answers.

Thanks a bunch!

Hey there,
Don't mean to be a stick in the mud but you should start your own thread with the above post. This is someones build thread. With the proper title to your own thread you will get alot more answers as well. Welcome and enjoy yourself here
:thumbsup:

Fuck yeah that bikes rad! I love the wassel, the sissy bar, and the fact you kept the stock foot peg mounts.. Right on man!

:thumbsup:Thanks Everybody!! I'm glad you guys are diggin it:thumbsup:

Hey Rexxis.... thought you had forgotten about us.... lol
Good to see you have been spending your time wizely.... on the bike!
Its looking sharp... real sharp. I appreciate the update on the seat springs too... why not a sloppy fit and all is well.... do you have any way of blowing up the shot of just the seat bit. I need a closer look.
Keep the progress rolling!

This is as close as my phone could get without blurring.
1-6AEC-47AE-9B61-38149ED2A34D-352-0000005CAAD36C7B.jpg

Wow great stance what are the specs on your hardtail?
I'm trying to figure out what I want to do before i make my first cuts.

http://andycopeland.blogspot.com.au/

1" of stretch(wish I had gone with 2" or 3" of stretch), little bit of dropseat(wish I hadn't done this, caused carb filter enterference problem, plus I just don't like how it looks) and 4" ride height(Don't get me wrong, I still am really pleased with how the bike turned out, ha).

Thanks rex.... that is more than good enough.... some more details came to life as well.... I see he is running intake valved with both sets of springs. I like it, its dirty and elegant at the same time. The seat pearch is neat too. Would have to beef it up for my fat ass to ride on it thou.

How are things comming along on your scoot?

Well I've been riding my bike for abt a week now. Damn tailaight keeps going out on me. Bulbs were blown so, I checked the voltage at the bulbs, 13-14v range which is spot on. the new ones blew out today so maybe theres too much vibration on my sissy bar for the bulbs.. IDK yet, I havent investigated the currently blown ones. Carbs leak gas a lil at the drain plugs, gotta order some fresh one w new copper gaskets. One of my petcocks leaks too, at the shaft for the little handle.. hmpff.

couple pics, the first one is the pattern I came up with for my seat. Whadya think?
-840A-4010-A793-65B2C6D8E31C-3627-0000061FB2CD1F29.jpg
6-A0B1-4D11-A66A-E407EE1B203C-727-000000F56329A2C8.jpg

-FDE9-4EE7-85A4-7C3D39DA8926-3627-0000061BEE5F3160.jpg

Back