My Street Tracker project

Hey Dave, I can't tell from the pics but did you get the front mount petcocks like I suggested a long time ago. The bike is looking and sounding really good. I congratulate you on a great build. Yesterday I took my bike for a good snort. Found this old fire road about 5 miles out of town and let it rip. It feels really good going through the gears on a single tire track and spinning in fourth gear. Not a chance of a cop anywhere near. Enjoy the ride.
.....Mel.....

Mel, yes i got the forward mount's for the petcocks. I still have to break it down, detab/strip and powder coat frame. And paint the white glass. The checkered stuff is just to give it a "look" for the meantime. But I appreciate the compliments. Thank's.

No, it doesn't end. I'm thinking I may switch to a set of Jemco high pipes this winter and hang the Shell pipes up in the garage. No reason, just want to do it. If you are buying a set of Maxxis I suggest going with a CD8. The CD5 is softer and will offer better traction but will not last near as long wear wise. Keep the pics coming.
....Mel....

Mel, what issue's will I have with the CD3's. I understand they r the softest/stickyest compound. Is a 40 mile 60mph highway ride in 80 degree air temp gonna tear/chunk them up? PM'd this too ya also.

While having a cold Bud Light today, I got to looking at the brake calipers/mounts and wondering if I should paint or polish them or? Then the bleeders caught my eye. I have had both calipers off, for cleaning out,polishing the pistons etc. Remounted and bleed. I did them one at a time. Front first complete, then rear complete. Now several years later, looking at them today, I think a previous owner swapped the front and rear around. Look at the bleeder position, especially the rear. Am I correct, or did that Bud hit me hard?
Front

rear

They look like they will work being the bleeders are in a higher position than the line in, however given the angle of mounting, it seems to make more sense if they were swapped.

While having a cold Bud Light today, I got to looking at the brake calipers/mounts and wondering if I should paint or polish them or? Then the bleeders caught my eye. I have had both calipers off, for cleaning out,polishing the pistons etc. Remounted and bleed. I did them one at a time. Front first complete, then rear complete. Now several years later, looking at them today, I think a previous owner swapped the front and rear around. Look at the bleeder position, especially the rear. Am I correct, or did that Bud hit me hard?
Front

rear

When I was looking through my manual today, I seen pics of the calipers reversed , like I mentioned.

Hey Dave. I sent you a PM but the calipers are on correctly. I bead blasted both calipers and the rear hanger. Looks clean and saved time sanding and painting. Bike is looking real good.

This was asked in another thread. My seat cowl front is mounted to the original tank rear hold down internally threaded stud. The red cone is a snowmobile track stud backer plate. It is drilled to slide over the stud. Rubber under and over the cowl, a washer and bolt, done

I don't have personal access to a welder any longer, so I could not use a piece of exhaust pipe with a stud welded to it for my rear tank mount. Instead I used a steel strap formed to the top tube shape and hose clamped, a bolt under the strap to a threaded rod coupler. Several grommets slid over it for cushioning, and then the tank bolted to that.

that looks good Dave---nice job! So, Slide used part of an exhaust right?

Yes he did, I did also on the front mount. Very common way to mount these type tanks. Simple really . A foot or less of exhaust pipe, and a couple bolts or all thread. Split the pipe in half length wise, weld on the bolt/rod and you have it. This is his pic:

DSC00340.jpg

Looks really good. Just talked to Gopher Glass--they have exactly what I need. I am still looking for either a TX750 or Radian swingarm, still no luck. What are you running for tires? I suppose this is all in your thread huh? Haha

Back