My Wiring Thread

Advance Auto Parts sells blade type fuse blocks for less than $10.
Rocket6.jpg

paid a visit to the local NAPA and found a block like the one pictured above with one common power inlet. but it was bigger than i had hoped, so im searching for a "mini" fuse block but the only ones i have been able to find have individual power terminals like this one:

73820.jpg

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p348.html

im thinking that i would just splice 4-6 wires into the end of my power wire coming from the battery/ignition? and then use those 4-6 wires to feed the individual terminals on the block?

this method makes sense to me, but im no wiring genius. if this is the correct way to power the mini fuse block above, would 18 ga wire be the right choice to feed the individual terminals? any help would be appreciated. thanks

On the power side I might use 14 or 16 gauge wire. On the load side, depending on the current draw of the individual circuits will determine the wire size.
The headlight, ignition and charging system are the big draw items. I used 16 gauge wire to them.
My turn signals and tail/brake lights are LED's, 18 gauge is plenty. using the stock signals I might run 16 gauge.
The horn, depending on it's current draw, stock don't draw as much as louder after market horns. 16 gauge there should work with either. A relay can be wired in to carry the current without as much running through the push button.

Yes, generally the black is ground. On some other brands of bikes they use different colors.

Back