My Yamaha XS650 Street tracker Build by olddude13

I've just had a look through the rest of the thread and seen the pictures, that is awesome! A really stunning bike. I have similar visions for my project but more street scrambler. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I get back from holiday where I am right now but still obsessing about the slow progress of my bike.

Pregrid, 37 rear 17 front takes off fine. for fun and mock up i had 41 on rear it was fun but ran out of steam quick. I have 18 and will order 34 and 35 for kicks. Most of my riding will be back roads not much highway. I ride with a buddy that has first gen Triumphs and he hates the highway.

Racer Dave, 520 chain 17-33 now runs great on highway 37 was to buzzy at 70.
will count links soon.

Wait, what? Did you lose your Triumph ridin' buddy?

Yep, he's been workin alot! 17-33 seams to be a good back road and highway gear.
went to vintage days at mid-Ohio rode all back roads there and rode highway home.

At the rate I'm going, which won't change soon, it will easily be next summer before mine see's any highway or even back roads. 17 is stock front, correct? If so I have 17-36 with 530 chain, and will also be able to try 17-34? I think?

I have been thinking of doing the od gear for 5th that Mikes XS sell's. That would leave good accelleration from stoplight to stoplight with a 36 rear, and relaxed rpms for cruising.

I don't know if gear ratios are the same for all models but mine (a '74 motor) has a rather large ratio change between 1st and 2nd. All other gears seem to be closer together. With the stock 17 and 34 sprockets it was great on the highway at 70mph or so (I'm running 19's front and rear). Problem was, in the twisties, which I ride often-we've got a lot of those not far from where I live and they're the most fun, 2nd gear was too high and 1st was too low, especially on the 180*+ off camber switchbacks. With the 36 on the rear I can now use 2nd gear more often. The tradeoff is that on the highway now the motor is really workin' really hard at 70mph. You just gotta decide where you wanna give it up. would love to have 5th gear OD but she ain't comin' back apart anytime soon (i'm guessin' the cases have to be split to do the mod).

I don't know if gear ratios are the same for all models but mine (a '74 motor) has a rather large ratio change between 1st and 2nd. All other gears seem to be closer together. With the stock 17 and 34 sprockets it was great on the highway at 70mph or so (I'm running 19's front and rear). Problem was, in the twisties, which I ride often-we've got a lot of those not far from where I live and they're the most fun, 2nd gear was too high and 1st was too low, especially on the 180*+ off camber switchbacks. With the 36 on the rear I can now use 2nd gear more often. The tradeoff is that on the highway now the motor is really workin' really hard at 70mph. You just gotta decide where you wanna give it up. would love to have 5th gear OD but she ain't comin' back apart anytime soon (i'm guessin' the cases have to be split to do the mod).

You'd be guessin correctly.:thumbsup:

Hey old dude 13
Was there much work to fit the gsx R forks on to the xs . Im thinking of doing the same type front end and was wondering if its easy to do.
Cheers

Depends on what you mean by easy....... Clamps and stem made by fast bros, racing. I made axle,nut , rotor carriers and spacers

Fastbrothersracing

****YOUR EXHAUST SYSTEM WILL TELL YOUR MOTOR WHAT TO DO****

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU TELL IT

"650 central" was a great help getting my engine tuned he sold me torque peak optimizer's
for the end of my pipes you can't tell they are installed by looking and gave me carb tuning advice. The bike now has great off the line power! and crazy mid range.

Man its been awhile!
Ok heres the deal i'm stopping the "The Second attempt" build. I bought a sportster (yea i went to the dark side)
I'm taking all the good stuff rims, forks tank seat calipers chain and so on to use on the new build.

Im listing the titled bike on the for sale adds throwing in extra parts ( i have two no titled bikes)
The sportster build will be on www.xlfourm.net User name is the same

Back