Nail In Center Tread, Rear Tire. Opinions needed.

jonasblack

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I JUST put on new sport demon tires... front is 100/90v19 and the rear is 130/90v16.

I was doing my pre-ride, and BAM! found a nail.

I have read numerous opinions on tire patching, and I was wondering what your folks' opinions on it are. I read that the only good repair on a tire is if it is patched from the inside out.

What do these repairs run? Are they rubbish? Should I just buy a new tire?

ps. my tires only have about 500 miles on them.:banghead:

That's bad luck with the tyre, and if it was me I'd be taking it to Kwik Fit and getting them to repair. Usually it's only damage to the side walls that mean a new tyre.

Anlaf

if it is tubeless, get it patched from the inside. if you run tubes, patch the tube or replace it.

Tube or tubeless, get a plugging type patch in the tire, and replace the tube. The reason for patching, even with a tubed tire is to close the tread block from debris and reinforce the air tight inner liner. In the event of a follow-on puncture, you want as few places to lose air as possible in that carcass. an extra second or two of controllability can make the difference between coasting out of the road under control, and trying to milk one onto the shoulder with a floppy mess on the front wheel. If you are so inclined, Pep Boys has the umbrella type plugging patches in 3 different sizes. I usually pull my wheel and let Kawasaki City of Dallas put the plug in. I have up to 11,000 miles on one of their plug installs with no loosening, and I can't match that. Plugging is one of the few things I still leave to others.

These are the type you want. they come in 3 different stem sizes, depending on the hole size, up to 1/4 inch. A puncture over 1/4 inch is not recommended to be repaired.

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/attach...ch-tire-sportbike-mushroom%20plug%20patch.jpg

Last edited:
Tube or tubeless, get a plugging type patch in the tire, and replace the tube. The reason for patching, even with a tubed tire is to close the tread block from debris and reinforce the air tight inner liner. In the event of a follow-on puncture, you want as few places to lose air as possible in that carcass. an extra second or two of controllability can make the difference between coasting out of the road under control, and trying to milk one onto the shoulder with a floppy mess on the front wheel. If you are so inclined, Pep Boys has the umbrella type plugging patches in 3 different sizes. I usually pull my wheel and let Kawasaki City of Dallas put the plug in. I have up to 11,000 miles on one of their plug installs with no loosening, and I can't match that. Plugging is one of the few things I still leave to others.

These are the type you want. they come in 3 different stem sizes, depending on the hole size, up to 1/4 inch. A puncture over 1/4 inch is not recommended to be repaired.

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/attach...ch-tire-sportbike-mushroom%20plug%20patch.jpg

I like them, they are nice, I'm going to look into how I can get some here to use myself. Quality tire repairs are hard to get where I am and I have to do most myself.

I like them, they are nice, I'm going to look into how I can get some here to use myself. Quality tire repairs are hard to get where I am and I have to do most myself.

That's kind of crazy for them to be hard to find in the Phillipines, since many of them are made there! :laugh:

Seems true enough what you say, but try to buy some of this stuff here and you'll be tearing your hair out trying to find it. I don't think they target local markets as most repairs are still done with your mum's iron, a G clamp and some old rubber stock from used inner tubes.

Back