Name these head pipes

Mikeinnh

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know what head pipes are on this Flash Rabbit build?
yamaha-xs650-caferacer5.jpg

They almost look like the Commando 2-2 Exhaust System for XS650 "Specials" from mikes with different mufflers. Pretty close anyways.

gee...wonders how it rides? Nobody knows yet, as the mold flash is still on the rubber.
Pretty, although, the bends in those pipes aren't very good.
GS could do better.

It don't ride looks like a museum piece. Art work and Persian carpet. A dream and drool bike. Bet you could do one hell of a burnout on that carpet. :D

Actually I messaged them through their Facebook page and asked about the pipes. Got a quick reply, and they are, indeed. a custom set. They said they could have a set made for me, but didn't say the price. As far as the bike as a whole - I don't feel deprived it's not sitting in my garage. 'Course, everybody has their own ideas; taste is a subjective thing.

It's a simple formula, really: Pig+lipstick=pig. That thing may look trick to an inexperienced eye, but it would handle like a truck, assuming of course that it can actually be started and ridden. Anybody notice that the front brake is a single leading shoe XS650 drum rear? Ugly as hell and ineffective, but oh, so "creative."

Anybody notice that the front brake is a single leading shoe XS650 drum rear? Ugly as hell and ineffective, but oh, so "creative."

I did notice that, because I've been thinking about trying that myself... Yes, I know a SLS isn't very effective up front. A DLS would be better. Even been considering making/casting a back plate for DLS in the rear hub, for front usage. However, I can't get past what would need to be done to the sprocket side of the hub to make "not ugly". :bike:

Looks like a piece of art, that never goes on the road.................completely useless in my opinion. Wow.................mechanically operated drum brakes front and rear...............that scores 10 out of 10 for low tech and totally unsafe.

Wow.................mechanically operated drum brakes front and rear...............that scores 10 out of 10 for low tech and totally unsafe.

you are aware the early XS1s came with front dual leading shoe drum brakes, right?

Having ridden bikes with cable actuated front drums, I surely wouldn't call them unsafe, depending on the type of riding and weight of the bike. Less effective than disc? Yes, under many circumstances. But not unsafe. Just my opinion.

Disc brakes are certainly, on average, a better system. But all a brake can really do is go as far as lock up a wheel at a certain level of applied pressure, and how progressive it is being the key. Many years ago I read an automobile compare involving a Simca (are they still in business?). The testers were dumbfounded that it had the best brakes of the entire lot, most of which at that time were running discs up front. The Simca had 4 wheel drums. I will agree that discs are better, but this old man rode a lot of old bikes with drums and you won't convince me that they are "unsafe".

Back