Need help locating a return spring for xs1 front drum

traversable

XS650 wana-be
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just noticed that I'm missing my lever return spring on my front drum I plan to run. part#
256-25157-00.. I've searched but haven't come up with anything yet.. Even ordered one that looked similar off eBay but it ended up about 1/8 the right size when it showed up in an envelope . Haha..

Do any of you have any ideas where I can find a replacement?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 2.41.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 2.41.48 PM.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 175
If you contact a newer larger Yamaha dealership that is part of an inventory network they can tell you if anyone in the network might have it.
I've had several successful hunts this way.
Another option( and the one I enjoy the most) is simply dig your phone out and start calling. This method has gotten a couple of OEM spoke sets for TX750 wheels, a #4 starter gear, and several front cam chain guides a couple years ago when nobody had them.

Thank You!

TwoMany.. I just tried ordering one from the (cycle-parts) link you pointed me to. We'll see what they end up sending me.. crossing my fingers..

Well the Cycle-parts.com just refunded my $ and noted that they don't carry it any longer.. Also tried 90508-26038-00 with no luck. Might be forced to use a rubber band.

Trying to get my head around this.

When the cable is pulled the shoes are separated by the rotation of a cam (and contact the brake drum surface). This is done against the pull of two springs inside the brake. (19) When the pull on the cable is released the two springs pull the shoes inwards again.

What does the torsion spring do?

Will it work as is? (provided nothing is binding)
If not, can the springs at 19 be replaced with something heavier?
Or am I talking crap? (its been known)

...Or am I talking crap? (its been known)

You rang?

In a perfect world, all the brake action parts lubed and working smoothly, sure, the shoe springs will retract the levers fine.

But, things get dirty. Brake dust. Cam faces, cam shafts, brake cable. Then things don't retract very well...

Ya,

If there's room in there I guess I could maybe drill a couple holes & run an extra spring(s) on my shoes..?

& I'd planed on converting to the hydraulic clutch ... I wonder if there isn't any reason why I couldn't run the same set up on my front drum?

Anyways... More pressing matter at hand.. My clutch issue from my previous thread is still giving me problems.. UGG!

Back