need help

Step 1. Cross your fingers the bike is clean...

Step 2. You live in a title state, you may have friendly DMV employees they might help you I stress might.

Step 3. After wasting time at the DMV, you have to source a titling company, pay an ungodly amount for a deposit, hope in 6 months you get a title, and a return check with 10% of you original payment, because the titling company said they had to deal with some hiccups and steep slopes.

I'd sell it, and I've had too, but then I've gotten titles too.

Step 2. You live in a title state, you may have friendly DMV employees they might help you I stress might.

Hi Fings,
there are no friendly DMV employees.
90% of them hold you in contempt.
The rest will try to get you jailed.

Good point, i was trying to be nice though :shrug: yeah you need to sell it, find someone on here that lives in Maryland i dont think they title vehicles, thats where the title place is i think

If you nicely make a DMV employee's life miserable enough, for long enough, they might send you a title just to get rid of you. Took me nearly two years and at least 10 back and forth sets of letters forms pictures etc. but late one December someone wanted their file pile shortened up and sent me a clean title for a "barn find" no history XS and Wisconsin is TOUGH on titles.
Best way if at all possible is to track down the last titled owner. That makes it relatively simple.

But start by web searching your state DMVs requirements, every state is different.
Knowledge is power, if you know and have the right forms already filled out and information it really helps get things done. Flub around and you get nothing but stink eye.

In California, you could be on the hook for all the years that the license fees were not paid, if no one bothered to non-op it.

Sounds like its a nightmare is some states. Here in Tennessee its not really all that hard. There is a form you have to download from the state.gov page. As long as the bike is over 25 years old they will do a title check for stolen and if not stolen they will issue you a title. I have done probably 10 bikes this way and only one deny (because I did the below, Note do not do the below it only confuses them.) if they give you any crap when you bring the form tell them you understand, and politely ask them to file it anyway as is.

Do not bother going to the DMV to get the form, you will get that deer in a headlight look with a blank stare like you destroyed their day followed by a "next" or if you insist they will break out a dusty ass book. If they have to break out that book to find the regulations and eventually you will think you are winning but you will never see a title, they flag your name as a problem citizen and it goes into the never get a title File. If you see a gleam of joy in their eyes you know you just made it into the never file.

Well this is my experience, and since your from Kentucky I do not know if there is such a form for you, research it on your own because the DMV will not help you.

If a bike has no title I'll pass it by.
If it is in very good shape, all the parts there, I may buy it if the price is right AND I have a titled frame to put all those parts on.
Generally no title means parts bike.
Too much hassle getting a title. Easier to find a bike or frame that has one.
Leo

In Minnesota it was easy. I got a title for a barn find this summer with just two forms to fill out, pictures of the bike from all sides, and pics of the Bikes VIN on the frame and engine.
Took 3 or 4 weeks to go through.

Bruce

<EDIT> Good Point from rshelbert! I did the research and got the documents and info from the MN DMV Website and showed up at the local office with everything filled out and complete. They took it, took my money and sent it off. <//EDIT>

Oh one thing I forgot to mention, they will give you a registration and a tag when you go in with the form, and take your money. The title comes a month or two later, unless it denied.

In a ironic twist of events the one that I got the denial letter I just kept registering it every year and it was perfectly legal to drive, Selling it would be another matter. I wonder if I went up there today and requested a title for a bike I have had registered and tagged for nearly 8 years how big of a explosion their heads would make.

thanks for the help evryone. bleave it or not i got a builders title. as long as the numbers on the frame and the motor do not mach. if they r the same then u need a title transfer. so my buddy filld me out a bill of sale for his motor ( that i bot from him ) took that and the numbers on my frame and titled it.

Back