New 650 parallel twin for Royal Enfield 270* crank + 4v head

Yes 5 Twins I think you are right. The RD 350 in India was neutered and renamed the Ranjoot.

Royal-Enfield-648cc-Twin-Engine-LHS-view.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

Hope it's just looks. LOL

YEs, I was going to chime in with the point about fuel. Also, the Indian government is battling vehicle emissions very actively (clearly an uphill battle with so many zillions of two stroke motorcycles and those three-wheel cabs) and so RE may have tuned it for low emissions rather than high power.

As someone observed, I’ll bet some tuners could do much better.

The original Royal Enfield Interceptor was a 750 cc. 360* parallel twin. In the 1950's Indian (the original company, not the attempted Clymer revival) imported a restyled and rebadged RE Interceptor for awhile when they finally realized that they weren't going to survive by trying to sell 80 c.i. flat head V-twins. Enfield also exported the Interceptor to the US under their own badge. It had a better reputation for quality and reliability than Triumph, Norton, or BSA.

Last edited:
Might be a nice little power plant, but I'm not impressed by the stamped side covers. Looks like a stamped valve cover too. Don't care for the valve train either on a 21st century engine.

Scott

Looks cast to me. I like the flatness compared to the alternator bulge on ours. If they're really making this for the third world, what do you figure the cost will be?

Just visit'd our local RE dealer.... he also does machine work, currently punch'n a set of XS cylinders for me to a 2nd over... I ask'd about the twin, when and how much..... he may get them in the spring... there will be two models... one standard style and the other more of a café style.. much like their current GT500.... approx. $6500.oo...

As for tuners, a couple years ago, Cafe Racers Magazine took a RE and tuned it up and put a fairing on it and it almost hit the ton.

Back in the days of the 45 c.i. flat head/30.5 c.i. OHV rule in AMA racing and long before Japanese bikes were seen on U.S. tracks, Shell Thuet race tuned Royal Enfield Bullets. Then as later, his focus was on reliable machines that privateer racers could afford.

Back