New Barn Finding

OripotoRaider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just got a Barn Finding, it bitten up, lots of rust only 4400 miles.
Frame and Endine matching serials S650-12xxxx
I notice it does not have the correct front break pump, the fluid container is square instead of round. Also, it is missing the left hand turning light control.
Good compression. It starts and run, probably carburetors will need to be rebuilt.
I want to restore it and I would like some advise on where to start.
I am willing to buy parts at reasonable price..........

Attachments

• XS2 01.jpg
    XS2 01.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 212
  • XS2 02.jpg
    XS2 02.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 207
Welcome OripotoRaider. Nice find. It will be beautiful when you get it tidied up. Plus one on figure8's post.
All the shiny isn't what gets you down the road.

Hi 'Raider and welcome,
I used to teach a safety class and so I gotta disagree with Figure8.
The FIRST thing to fix on any vehicle is the BRAKES.
If it won't go, it just needs work. If it won't stop, your life is at risk.
And that "square reservoir" front master cylinder is most likely from a '77 or later XS650.
They have a different front brake system than yours so the M/Cs piston diameter could be
totally wrong for your bike's front brake caliper.
Google the Vintage Brake site, it has a size comparison chart that'll tell you what you need to know.
This list's classifieds section is a good place to find used parts and every deal I've made there has worked out well.

Thanks for your advice, I already started to look for a Front Master Break Cylinder, there are few options and I will take the one fitting my budget, thinking always safety first.

Be very careful of the front wheel assembly it was Yamaha's first disk brake and uh they had some learning to do. It's not defective but does have a high parts count and an "unusual" free floating design. There are threads. Take pics and notes when you remove the front wheel!
On any old motor wake up and especially the XS; go slowly, read up on bent valves before attempting a start up. Care here will avoid a lot of headaches. lube valve stems, LOTS of plugs out motor kicking to be sure all the valves are closing freely. A thorough bike cleaning, making notes of deficiencies, will help you decide what needs doing.

Last edited:
Be very careful of the front wheel assembly it was Yamaha's first disk brake and uh they had some learning to do. It's not defective but does have a high parts count and an "unusual" free floating design. There are threads. Take pics and notes when you remove the front wheel!
On any old motor wake up and especially the XS; go slowly, read up on bent valves before attempting a start up. Care here will avoid a lot of headaches. lube valve stems, LOTS of plugs out motor kicking to be sure all the valves are closing freely. A thorough bike cleaning, making notes of deficiencies, will help you decide what needs doing.

Thanks for your advise........ I will for sure do it.
Fortunatly, the engine runs!!!!!!! It was demostrated at the moment of sale.

There is a little gas lick on one of the carburetor, nothing mayor.

Back