New game: Which bike brought the most money at auction?

And the results…..

Coming in first,

The Big Bear Scrambler at $11,000
IMG_5563.png

Second,

The XT Enduro at $8,800
IMG_5567.png

And third,

The 650 Turbo at $7,700
IMG_5560.png

You just never know! 😎

I might make this the last one. Yesterday I said I was going to do one with a Bultaco, so here it is.

Todays offerings, the battle of the Euro 250cc dirt bikes.

First up the 1975 Spanish Bultaco Pursang
IMG_5596.jpeg

Next up, Be just like Malcom Smith on your own 1973 Husky WR250
IMG_5597.jpeg

And finally a 1975 Penton Hare Scrambler. For those unfamiliar , these were built by KTM and imported and distributed ( and designed ) by Penton for the U.S. market. These bikes were competitive in the ISDT, right out of the box.
IMG_5595.jpeg

This particular Penton was owned by AMA Grand Nationals competitor Jack Hateley , ( not that there was any information that it was raced by him )
IMG_5598.jpeg

Gentlemen place your bets, 😎

I will say this, the market for vintage dirt bikes is all over the place. I left some out because the bidding just went nuts on them and I felt the prices were way out of line with reality! 🤷‍♂️

I'm thinking the way you posted Bob...A model 68 Pursang like I posted yesterday on another thread sold for $44k at Mecum awhile ago. :yikes:

Bul
Husky
Penton

Last edited:
I'm thinking the way you posted Bob...A model 68 Pursang like I posted yesterday on another thread sold for $44k at Medium awhile ago. :yikes:

Bul
Husky
Penton

Haha! 😄 You just quoted the exact one I left out. I actually think there were a pair of Bultacos that sold for over $40k each! The one I included in todays challenge was much more down to earth.

No idea either

Husqvarna have heard of them
Bultaco have heard of them but not much
Penton never heard of that Brand maybe not sold i Europe at all

On a side Note Husqvarna have made Rifles and Shotguns for hunting that perhaps can interest gun Enthusiasts here

Penton never heard of that Brand maybe not sold i Europe at all

Penton was a rebadged American brand of off-road enduro motorcycles designed by John Penton and manufactured by KTM in Austria for distribution in the United States between 1968 and 1978.”

John Penton was an American racer, he first approached Husqvarna with the idea of building an even lighter race bike but they were not interested, so he approached KTM, which at the time was only building bicycles and mopeds. They built the first designs using a Sachs engine.

By 1978 KTM was doing all the design and manufacturing and they bought out Penton and took over distribution.…..and the rest is history.

And the results are in, keep in mind these are all used and unrestored bikes and their prices are not sky high. With that said,

Coming in first, the ‘75 Penton at $7,150

IMG_5595.png

Second , the Husky WR 250 at $5,500

IMG_5597.png

And third the Bultaco Pursang at $4,125 ( I know I commented that these were bringing big money these days, but that has been for restored bikes, this is more in line with a good condition used bike, like the rest of this line up, also the bigger engine Bultacos tend to sell for more )
IMG_5596.png

All right, back by semi popular demand 😜

Todays line up, The Game Changers, all of these bikes represent a new era for their companies.
The beginning of the UJM’s.

First up, the original, a fully restored 1969 CB750 Sandcast, first year of production, limited numbers

IMG_5617.jpeg

Second up, a first year of production, full restoration 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900.

IMG_5616.jpeg

And third, a 1980 Suzuki GS1000S Wes Cooley replica. This is a low miles , all original , pristine survivor.

IMG_5619.jpeg
In the 70’s and 80’s Vance and Hines racing absolutely dominated the dragstrip on GS1000 based drag bikes.
IMG_5620.jpeg

Gentlemen place your bets 😎

Back