New Guy in Texas

pyroman

Pyroman
Reaction score
Hi, what a great site! I finally got past the hateful Password block after 3 days, now I can post, and ask some stupid questions. I just bought 2 XS650;s one a runner and one a ready to build, both street trackers. I used the search, but didnt find much about the blank off plate, as I want to eliminate the starter on My (keeper) bike. I also need to replace the tires. I have spent hours loking , and am ready to ask for suggestions on tires. I want to run a 4.00x 19 on the front and a 4.25 ,or 4.50 -18 on the rear, but am having trouble finding pairs. These are spoke wheels. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome man. Down here in College Station here myself!

The starter block off kit you can get from MikesXS.net

As for tires go to your local motorcycle shop and have them find a pair for you. I like to see the tires in person.

Thanks Jimmy, I have given up on the local shops here, as the counter Guys just give me the Deer in the headlight stare, and pick at their piercings. "What is a K-70?" LOL. Whippersnappers!

A K-70 is a Dunlop tire. It was made originally in the 70's. A stock tire for several European bikes. They also made the K-81 at the same time, also stock on some European bikes. They are still making them both. For people who want an old style tire. J&P list them in there metric catalog. Most tires nowadays use a metric designation. A 100/90-19 or a 110/90-19 for the front, a 110/90-18 or 120/90-18 rear.

It was great meeting you Don, There is another tracker I have seen here in A-town. I am trying to find out who he is. It was cool meeting up with someone with the same interest in trackers! I might ride out towards the canyon tomorow evening...
I agree about seeing the tires in person, I bought a pair, and I really like the front, but not the rear....

It was great meeting You, also, Bill. There will be no meeting of the PECKERHEAD MOTORCYCLE RACING TEAM this fri, but We will resume Our beer-stained and insightful gatherings next Fri. Come on down!

Cool! I am looking forward to it! I will holler by phone. Got an old front tire pulled off a front mag, almost ready for paint, will install tire this weekend.
I am in the middle of putting the Pamco kit on my tracker. Makin a bracket for the coil...moving right along.....

OK, I am not happy with the tires i ended up with on My Street Tracker. I want more of a street tread than what i ended up with. I am now seriously considering K-70's. I ha vent had a pair since My old 72 Triumph. I don't ride the XS very hard, otr long, mainly just local, irritate the LEO type stuff. I have heard some complaints about the K-70's handling . Anybody got any insight for Me? Thanks!

A friend of mine has a pair of paddle tires. Guess we could mount em up, n do a grudge match at the sand drags later this month....NOT!
I have a cs himax 130/90/18 on the rear and a 100/90/19 on the front again. I mounted the tires I showed ya, and didnt like em. Those dual sports were scarey if ya dialed in too much throttle comin out of a turn in town!...a lil slicker than I care for.

Pyro, check out Avon 26s......great handling tire, excellent in the rain, reasonable cost, and looks vintage....made in England. Most of the larger bike warehouse places on line carry them.....Motorcycle Superstore, etc.

Well, it has been a while, but here are a couple pics of My progress. I still dont like the tires, will go to K 81's soon as I pay Uncle Sam off. I installed a late model Sportster HL and eyebrow. Did some more powdercoating, removed the starter and installed the freeze plug block off. Eliminated all the handlebar wiring. Re-did the lexan sidecovers, still not happy with those......And.....I am still not feling the Yellow. I am thinking about mettalic grey with flat black stripes. I odered a new braided front brake line, measured while the bike was strapped down on the lift:doh::doh:, so, as You can see, it is WAY too short. Measure twice, order once. I installed Lightning holes in the tail section, in case there is Lightning about, when I ride it.:wink2: Went thru the carbs, still need to polish them, or......Changed the oil and cleaned both strainers, had to repair the sump strainer, thank GOD for JB WELD. Modified the breather and installed a K&N mini filter on the end of that line. Oh, yeah, I put the intakes on the wrong sides, need to pull them back off and swaop them. It started on the second kick, so I must be close. What a hoot to ride! The open exhaust is ...healthy. :yikes: Yee-haw!!:D

Attachments

• Street Tracker new mods 001.jpg
    Street Tracker new mods 001.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Street Tracker new mods 004.jpg
    Street Tracker new mods 004.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 152
Back