New member seeking advice/guidance

aprilsixth

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just recently picked up a 1980 xs650 special. From what the seller told me it had been in a shop having repairs done when the owner could not afford to pay the bill. The seller I bought it from purchased from the shop, re-painted it, installed the 2-1 exhaust, and recovered the seat. He didn't know what all the shop did to the bike but he said it's def. had some engine work done. There are bigger Mikuni carbs but other than that I do not know what all has been done. Besides the carbs, exhaust, and paint it is all stock. It started first try at the shop the night I bought it. After a 3 hour ride home in very cold weather it didn't start. I charged the battery over night (with a tender, all I had...) and it does start now but takes a minute or so by electric start.

I want to improve the bike by replacing some of the parts. I would love to build a tracker but most importantly i'd like to clean up in it's stock set-up and make sure it's running good. First off, i'd like to get new black tracker/mx bars, grips, right/left side controls, front master cylinder, rear master cylinder, all new cables (throttle, brake, clutch). The clutch is relatively hard to pull in. The front master cylinder is rusting and the controls need replaced. Also, I plan on replacing the shocks as one of my first mods as they are rusting too.

My question for you experts out there is, is this a good place to start? Could this fix my issues with the clutch? What length & brand (progressive, hagon, ohlins?) shocks do most people run on their trackers? Where is a good place to buy parts from? I've been looking around the net and it seems like "Mike's" has a lot of parts. For those who have bought 650 parts from Mike's, would you recommend getting all of the hand controls from there? Lastly, should I fully charge the battery and then put the tender on? I ran stabilizer through the bike tonight so it'll be stored for the winter.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have the finished bike visioned in my head but this is my first build of an older bike (my other bike is a 13' harley davidson street bob). Thanks in advance to anyone with help! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• photo_lo res.jpg
    photo_lo res.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 180
  • xs650_lo res.jpg
    xs650_lo res.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 209
Hey, aprilsixth, welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your acquisition. I see you have many plans and questions.

This forum does not yet have the 'Vulcan-mind-meld' feature, but you'll find more than you'll need by searching and pouring thru this massive forum.

Your first go-to would be the 'tech' section, new bike discussions, and especially the charging system threads.

As other members have suggested: Read 'till your eyes bleed".

I wanna see pics of that 13 foot Street Bob and check your brushes, then the rotor.
There is a picture of ohm testing the rotor in my album.
Welcome to the site.

I might suggest getting it to run right and charge right before I do any thing to make it look pretty.
Get a repair manual.
As mentioned read the TECH section. Especially the threads on the charging system and carbs.
Get these right and the rest is easy.
Leo

Thanks for the replies. The tech section has some great info that has been very helpful.

I think I'm going to start first with all new hand controls, bars, front/back master cylinders, brake/clutch/throttle lines. Once that is done i'd like to get the PAMCO and PMA installed so that it is reliable and I won't have to worry about the stock ignition going out. From there maybe move onto replacing the shocks and cleaning up the rear fender/light.

It's winter here and have winterized the bike but once spring rolls around i'll get to working on it. I'm sure i'll have a lot of more questions then. Thanks again to all who have responded and helped.

Back