New Owner Complicated Questions

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
This is my 3rd vintage bike. I had a CB360 that had carbs that scared me. I have/had a CB400F that taught me alot. I've also had a XT225 that taught me how to ride.

So I think I've finally figured out the beginners questions, so none of those.

however my recently purchased 1978 XS650 Standard is a new ballgame.

DSC_0328.jpg

I'm looking for headlight wiring, what colors am I working with? Most diagrams I see show yellow, black, and green, is that correct?

My bike has got 24,000 miles on it. How can I keep it going? Oil System Upgrade? Regular oil changes? I'm looking for preventative maintenance, but in the end...its got a few miles so I'll also be in the market for a spare engine.

Is there any cheap "must do" mods that I'm missing?

Hey there! Welcome to the XS world! I am fairly new to the XS' myself but have learned these motors are fairly bulletproof... I have read that regular maintainence will keep the motor running strong... Such as, oil changes, keep carbs synched, keep valves adjusted etc. You should also change your charging system as the stock one sucks! It WILL fail you... Search the tech section for lots of handy tips, tricks, and how to's.:thumbsup: Good Luck!

PHeller;

Welcome to the site. The 78 Standard is one of the best years in these bikes. I hope you would try to restore it to stock. These bikes were very well made, but now suffer from years of almost no maintenance. A stock type seat would really improve that bike.

Click on "Tech" at top of page..............go down to "Maintenance and General Troubleshooting"............click on "Buying Guide, getting to Know Your Bike"

The Search function at the upper right also works very well.

"Tech"............."Electrical".............."Wiring Diagrams" should be helpful.

Last edited:
I'll like keep the frame stock, but I'd like to go to lower bars, something similar to euro bars, but not clip-ons or drag bars.

As with all my bikes I keep all the stocks parts, and try to not cut, drill, or modify the frame in any way. We'll see how long that lasts.

Any suggestions on jets for easier kick starting?

The "New Owners Guide" helped a lot. Most of it is stuff I already know, but it helps to be reminded "dont rush it."

PHeller;

First thing, I'd recommend you make sure the charging system is working properly. Its fundamental to everything else.

With the engine off.............12.5 volts at the battery.

With the engine idling at 1200 rpm (wait a few minutes if you used the starter motor)................about 13.5 volts.

Rev the engine to about 3000 rpm..............should have 14.5 volts at the battery.

You have a wonderful "diamond in the rough" there, quite reminiscent of mine when I first got it. Fast forward a few years and .....

650Fall08-3.jpg

I'm hoping to get it reliable enough to do some touring on it. Every bike I've had previously was to small to tour (some would disagree), but the 650 should be plenty powerful enough for the highway.

should be plenty powerful enough for the highway.

Some will disagree with this too, but I don't think it's really suited to the interstate highway. State highways, otherwise known as back roads, yes, but maybe not more suited than the other three bikes you had.

Well, I have to disagree with that, no it's not a Goldwing and never will be. But I've put thousands of interstate miles on xs650's. It's perfectly capable of traveling long distances on the interstate at speeds of 70 mph to 85mph. Of course this is with modern tires, good brakes and a well maintained engine.

Have you put those miles on since everybody started driving about 90 on the interstate and since the interstates have become bumper to bumper thick with traffic?

Nice bike to work with. I like to ride em local and fix up what isn't right till the teething issues are done then look at making it yours. Sump oil filter is your number one must do. then the usual old bike stuff carbs fork seals, shocks, steering bearings, swing arm bushings, petcocks, wiring gremlins, chain, sprockets. At 24,000 you will be thinking about a top if one hasn't been done, valve seals, cam chain guides. If it's running OK now a top is nice winter project, the engine has to come out so that gives you chance to spiff up the frame. I see the rear rim is non stock, looks to be from a 74 or earlier XS650. XS650 are easy starters once the ignition and carbs are sorted. Should be a one kick bike when it's warm out.

It's a serious problem and it doesn't matter what you are riding. The speeds aren't the issue, the overcrowding is the problem. And a whole other can of worms is our deteriorating infrastructure. Our highways needed upgrading 20 years ago.

Whatever the case may be, my last few bikes were all underpowered. CB360, XT225, CB400F...none are really suited for cruising over 65mph. I put the most miles on the XT225, and it was fine around town, but it didn't have the power to lug me and camping gear. I'm hoping the XS will change that.

Posted via Mobile

Back