New Rotor, No magnetism, No charge.

I soldered every connection after that picture. I wanted to make sure everything was wired correctly before I soldered them. I guess I will start untaping everything until I find the problem again.

I believe my regulator is trashed. Did the green wire jump from regulator plug to ground and got a charge on the battery. I messed with a few connections to make sure it wasn't that and now I'm blowing fuses when I try the green wire jump. Any reason for this?

Ben,
What are you doing???

Sounds like your are now shorting to ground.

Just a guess.

Go back and review everything.

Perhaps draw a little diagram of where each wire actually goes to and from. Then see if it matches close to the wire diagrams Gary supplied.

Hopefully you haven't damaged any components.

The main fuse would blow when I jumped the green wire at the regulator connector to ground. The first time I did it I got a charge on my battery. So I knew it was my regulator or the ground, I made sure all of the connections going to the regulator were good and still didn't get a charge. So I did the green wire jump one more time and blew the fuse.

Everything to the regulator was hooked up good so I ordered a new one. I'm just wondering if I screwed something up while I was testing the regulator which is causing the main fuse to blow. It only blows when I ground the regulator, not when everything is hooked up normally.

Any ideas why I would be blowing my main fuse jumping the green wire at the regulator connector to ground? It blows the fuse instantly when I touch the jumper to ground. I did it once and got a charge on my battery did it again without changing anything and started blowing the main fuse.

Any ideas why I would be blowing my main fuse jumping the green wire at the regulator connector to ground? It blows the fuse instantly when I touch the jumper to ground. I did it once and got a charge on my battery did it again without changing anything and started blowing the main fuse.

Unplug the rec/reg so its out of the picture. Ground the left (outer) brush (green wire), and then turn the ignition key on. If your rotor is good, you should have a magnetic field (slap test), and you should not blow a fuse.

Well, your rotor is working, so plug in the rec/reg, and if its good you should still pass the slap test (do not use any external grounding wires, let the rec/reg do its thing) , and the alternator should charge.

Back