New to me - ‘95 Honda Shadow VLX600

Lift the front of the bike with this and ratchet straps or come-alongs.
View attachment 258361
Yes good idea. I recall seeing this in a post this fall but forgot about it. I will give it a try. Not sure if I have the head room though since the bike is parked under the area that my garage door occupies when open. Thx

One of the great joys of working on this bike and my beetle project is I’ve been able to use tools I bought decades ago, but have been sitting in my toolbox unused. Today I started the Honda and noticed with the wheel pointed hard right, the throttle didn’t return to idle with a snap. To inspect the carbs I had to partially lift the tank without removing it and remove the air cleaner / air box assembly. Taking it apart was easy but to tighten the filter housing clamp it would require complete removal of the tank for screwdriver clearance. I remembered I bought a swivel head screwdriver at Sears over 30 years ago, found it and it did the trick. 😀

Tried cleaning the front spokes. It took a couple of hours and I thought they looked great, then I put my glasses on.. lol. As many other things on the bike - good enough. In the last pic below, only one side of the wheel / spokes had been done. On the upside it fires right up and seems to be running well👍
Throttle returns properly now after lubing the cables. What a difference a bit of oil makes…

IMG_3576.jpeg

I was just reading on a Honda Shadow forum that the backlighting of the Speedo is poor and hard to read. I took the the speedo apart and found a single 158 peanut bulb. Anyone know if these peanut bulbs come in different wattages? I suppose I could install an led replacement?

I was just reading on a Honda Shadow forum that the backlighting of the Speedo is poor and hard to read. I took the the speedo apart and found a single 158 peanut bulb. Anyone know if these peanut bulbs come in different wattages? I suppose I could install an led replacement?
Two wattage options I know of. Brighter for a license plate light. Maybe an LED would be best.

Two wattage options I know of. Brighter for a license plate light. Maybe an LED would be best.
Thx @jetmechmarty my limited research showed a 158 at 3.4W and 194 at 3.8W. I don’t think the .4W will make a huge difference so I’ll order some Amazon bulbs. Looks like most sell it in a 10 pack. I guess I’ll have 9 spares. lol. Anyone need a few lmk. No charge.

Go LED fersher.

I noticed the clutch lever has an unusual shape and I suspect it’s been “tweaked” from a bump or gentle fall (no marks or damage but is curved). I’d like to straighten it out a bit. Do I just remove it, chuck it in a vise, heat it and give it a pull or is it better to heat and knock it back into shape with a rubber mallet? I figure it’s worth a try because even if I booger it up it’s a cheap replacement part. Any advice is appreciated.

I noticed the clutch lever has an unusual shape and I suspect it’s been “tweaked” from a bump or gentle fall (no marks or damage but is curved). I’d like to straighten it out a bit. Do I just remove it, chuck it in a vise, heat it and give it a pull or is it better to heat and knock it back into shape with a rubber mallet? I figure it’s worth a try because even if I booger it up it’s a cheap replacement part. Any advice is appreciated.
If you can do the repair using a vice that would be my option. Easier to control the pressure applied.
Of course beating it into submission may be the option for your stress relief.

Find a pipe or such that will fit over the end. Round the pipe end so it doesn't cut into the aluminum. Clamp handle base in vice, apply heat to the bent area, add gentle pressure with your pipe, as the aluminum gets to malleable temp you will feel your pressure release, back off the heat a bit, now you can bend, adjust it back to original shape, add a bit more heat if needed as you tweak, then let it cool down. Polish to a mirror shine ;^) .

Find a pipe or such that will fit over the end. Round the pipe end so it doesn't cut into the aluminum. Clamp handle base in vice, apply heat to the bent area, add gentle pressure with your pipe, as the aluminum gets to malleable temp you will feel your pressure release, back off the heat a bit, now you can bend, adjust it back to original shape, add a bit more heat if needed as you tweak, then let it cool down. Polish to a mirror shine ;^) .
Done as suggested. Just like new👍

Good find. 30th week, 2019? Not too old to be worrysome. I never knew about that detail until I started playing with my first, in 20 years, bike, the Blue Tracker. In 2021 my new to me Blue Tracker had 2007 tires on it.. I have learned so many small details here.
Tires on the bike are originals, circa 1994! Tried taking the front one off but wasn’t successful because I don’t have anything to hold the wheel while prying the tire off. Sidewalls are super stiff, maybe from age. May cut it off since it’s trash anyway.

Go LED fersher.
Led bulb from Amazon and the Speedo is now readable in the dark. Generally pour light distribution within the headlight shell though. I bought 10 bulbs for $17 (Amazon) and the local big box auto / hardware store sells them for $12-$16 each. They may have better distribution but the cheap route is good for me.

Back